UKC

Dolomites - hut info / prices

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Brian Pollock 01 Jun 2015
I'm planning a trip to the Dolomites during July or August and hoping to stay mostly in huts.

Can anyone give me the name of a hut close to the Sella Towers as well as information on how to book, parking and costs?

Also, does anyone have information on costs and how to book Rifugio O.Falier beside the Marmolada?

Much appreciated. Thanks.

Brian
 Marcus Tierney 01 Jun 2015
In reply to Brian Pollock:

Most of the huts have websites and you can book by phone or email. Generally they are pretty good at speaking English. If you have a problem it's likely that the tourist information centres can also help you book. Not stayed in the huts you mentioned so can't help there. Worth looking at the Austrian alpine club membership which will provide for your insurance and give you discount at the huts.
 Casa Alfredino 02 Jun 2015
http://www.rifugiocarlovalentini.it/ for a climberish hut at sella with decent prices and a good spot. Its a short walk to Sella Pass and then to the towers.

http://caivenezia.it/index.php?p=p&i=27 info for the falier, although I'd have thought ringing the day before would get you a spot. And if not, its only 1.5 to walk up there anyway!
Post edited at 07:42
OP Brian Pollock 02 Jun 2015
In reply to Casa Alfredino:

Thank you both, much appreciated.

Do you know if you receive a discount with a BMC reciprocal rights card?
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 02 Jun 2015

Some rifugio's have accepted mine, but it's a bit hit and miss. The AAC card can always be used however and it's not much money.

Have a good trip!
 Babika 02 Jun 2015

> Do you know if you receive a discount with a BMC reciprocal rights card?

I've always managed to get a discount (albeit small) with this, the same as my mate with the Alpine Club card. Just wave it with a confident flourish.
OP Brian Pollock 02 Jun 2015
In reply to James Rushforth:

Thanks, looks pretty reasonable especially when factoring in the insurance.
 Casa Alfredino 02 Jun 2015
Cai huts you've got a chance. Non cai huts of which there many, not a chance. They might give you a free grappa? Been out today around passo Fedaia. On North facing aspects there are numerous snow patches from about 2100m onwards. These are generally in shaded, deeo pockets, and the snow is deep, soft corn snow. Obviously these get more numerous and larger as you get higher and you could see on Marmolada Glacier, there was freshish snow from last weeks rains. However, the temps in the valley at 1200m during the day are circa 18degs celcius. On South facing aspects there is only snow in deep gullies until you reach approx 2700m+. I'd say if you were looking at routes on the Sella towers you'd be absolutely fine on anything south facing bar routes crossing major seepage lines.

Cheers,

Mike
 duncan b 03 Jun 2015

I stayed in the Falier hut in July 2013 with some friends. We phoned through the day before to book and were able to use our BMC membership cards to get a discount. None of us had a reciprocal rights card. The food portions in the hut are tiny so I'd recommend supplementing it with some of your own. Breakfast was a small bread roll. Not ideal just before staring up the Marmolada!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...