UKC

Rope for Portland Dorset

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
nabeelfarid 01 Jun 2015
Hi guys,

I am going to Portland next week for the first time for sports climbing. While I am still awaiting guide book to arrive in the post, I thought I will ask you guys here.

I was wondering what sort of rope required for max single pitch climbing in portland? From my research so far 60m should be enough but just wanted to confirm. Anyone?

Nabeel
 kingborris 01 Jun 2015
In reply to nabeelfarid:

yup, a 60 should get you up everything (well, get you up everything you can get up anyway)

Mark Kemball 01 Jun 2015
In reply to nabeelfarid:

60m is fine - the longest sport route I could find in the guide is 28m, most routes are 20m or less.
nabeelfarid 01 Jun 2015
Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
 CurlyStevo 01 Jun 2015
In reply to nabeelfarid:

Don't go too skinny there is a fair amount of sharp rock about.
In reply to nabeelfarid:

I have always climbed with a 50 and never had issue. But there are some lines that you won't be able to do... in my opinion it's a good trade off of hassle of rope management and weight to number of accessible routes.
nabeelfarid 01 Jun 2015

Well this leads to the question; Any recommendations for buying a reasonably priced 60m rope ? I am tempted to go for Edelrid Python 10mm x 60m Rope as its the cheapest I could find on the web. But I was wondering if it would be good enough considering that I am new to climbing. With 10mm, its probably the heaviest of the lot. I guess for a longer rope, the thinner the better . Any ideas?
Post edited at 15:47
 CurlyStevo 01 Jun 2015
In reply to nabeelfarid:
As mentioned there is a fair amount of sharp rock about be wary of going for a skinny rope.

Firstly there is Chert imbedded in the limestone, this is very similar to flint and can produce very sharp edges. Secondly some of the fossilised shells (which can be very prolific on some climbs) can be very sharp.

Elderid make good hard wearing ropes. Can't comment on that model. 10mm or there abouts would be sensible.

Unless you plan on climbing abroad anytime soon a 60 metre rope is a good length and covers all the climbing on Portland (as far as I know) whilst 50m does not.
Post edited at 16:51
 Carless 01 Jun 2015
In reply to nabeelfarid:

While 60m sounds ok for Portland, consider paying a bit more and getting a 70 (or even 80)
There's lots of places to go apart from Portland
 CurlyStevo 01 Jun 2015
In reply to Carless:

Yeah but you won't need a rope longer than 60 meters climbing in the UK and the extra length can be a hassle too (coiling / uncoiling etc). Depends if the op plans to use the rope abroad anytime soon.
 Carless 01 Jun 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Agreed - but I was glad to have an 85m rope in Telendos 3 weeks ago
 3 Names 01 Jun 2015
In reply to Carless:
I would buy an 80m rope. When the ends get worn you chop it down to 70m, when those ends get worn you chop that down to 60m.
You get 3 x more life from your rope

Ive also never found it a problem carrying or using a longer rope
Post edited at 18:26
 nealh 02 Jun 2015
In reply to nabeelfarid:

As a relative beginner you will make rigging mistakes, you will want to use it for tight top rope climbing, so inevitably the rope will wear faster than for someone only out on an onsight mission. Spending a fortune on fancy spec ropes is pointless for you conversely cheap ropes are just that (and its your neck) they will suffer from bad handling. My advice get a slightly chunkier rope 60m will be fine for a lot of euro destinations even when trimmed. Have fun
nabeelfarid 03 Jun 2015
In reply to nealh:

Thanks nealh.. Thats exactly what I feel like. Don't want to spend a fortune on my first rope... I have ordered Mammut Zopa 9.7mm http://www.bergfreunde.co.uk/mammut-zopa-97-bergfreunde-edition/
Will let you guys know how it goes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...