UKC

Room at heel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tinytom 02 Jun 2015
Good morning everyone

First post on the forum – hi!

I have been getting into climbing within the last few months (only indoor for the moment) and have got the bug! I have bought some of my own gear which includes a gri-gri, harness, caribinas etc and shoes!

I have bought myself scarpa velocity v’s. They are a tight fit around my toes with a little bit of wriggle room. They are tight fit around the foot itself. The only thing that I am questioning is the room at the heel. There is a little bit of space at the base of my heal (not underneath the heel, behind it) where the shoes shape goes back and my heal doesn’t follow it. It is tight enough at the top of the heel, it’s just right at the bottom it gets a bit loose. Is this is a problem? When I’m walking around the shoe overall feels tight enough, its just that I noticed the space while having my foot up on my knee and looking at the shoe.
 cha1n 02 Jun 2015
In reply to tinytom:

I wouldn't worry if the rest of the shoe fits OK.

At the grades you'll be climbing as a beginner you will be hooking your heels on massive holds (if you heel hook at all). As long as they don't slip off easily when you try and pull the heel off (simulating a heel hook).
 UpWear 02 Jun 2015
In reply to tinytom:

Congrats for getting into climbing

My first pair of shoes had the same space at the heel, they lasted me a good year before I felt i needed a closer fit for heel hooking and technical moves. They should be fine for most climbing techniques, but sometimes indoor bouldering routes involve some tasty heel hooks and overhang work may require a more snug heel. If you find it to be a problem, get a second set of shoes later on that have less space in the heel, but the main thing is the fit round the toes and these should do you proud.
OP tinytom 02 Jun 2015
In reply to UpWear:

Thanks guys.

I think they're right enough around the rest of the foot. I'm wearing them at work right now! I wouldn't wear them out of choice but they're not really that uncomfortable. I still have a little wiggle room at toes but not a lot

It does start to come off if I pull the heel but not really easily. I don't heel hook at the moment, but funnily enough I saw some people doing it last weekend and thought I'd like to give it a try!

Cheers guys

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...