UKC

Possible Redundency, where to go climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joe.91 02 Jun 2015
So I've been threatened by redundancy recently and wondering what the future holds, now apart from going back to the family home and apply for other jobs I've been considering an alternative plan. As this is probably going to be one of the last chances I have of a reasonable amount of time off, how about I go be a climbing bum for a while?

So my question is this, given I have a small amount of savings where would you recommend I go? Given that my mainly interest these days into long mountain trad, ice climbing and hard bouldering. So given the fact its now summer (although Scotland is yet to be convinced...) and I would be going alone what recommendations do people have for 'bum' destinations.

I have so far been considering (in my limited mind):
- Chamonix (been before, loads I fancy doing, but expensive to camp but I do have a car to venture round the aps)
- Yoesmite (never been, was planning on going next year but can only stay in the park for 30 days? Expensive to get there)
- BC Canada (same problem as Yosemite in terms of flights)
- Colorado (same problem as Yosemite in terms of flights)

Hit me with your ideas!
abseil 02 Jun 2015
In reply to joe.91:

> Hit me with your ideas!

Mega tour of the UK?

Anyway climb, climb, climb!

Signed,
Abseil
*Experienced climbing bum in the past
*Apart from that, once took 6 months off and climbed every single day of the 6 months. VERY HAPPY days
 Tom Last 02 Jun 2015
In reply to joe.91:

Stay in Scotland and head west to some of the best places in the world, saving a few bob in the process?
 galpinos 02 Jun 2015
In reply to joe.91:

I would say the UK and the Alps are accessible easily so if you have an extendended period, go abroad. North American dirtbag road trip would be my choice......
In reply to joe.91:

If mountain trad is your thing go to Scotland! I lived there for a year and it was amazing! Fort William and Aviemore are good bets. Lots of like-minded people to go adventuring with.

Happy climbing!

S
 galpinos 02 Jun 2015
In reply to joe.91:

I see you're a Chemical Engineer in Aberdeen. Assuming that means you're a process engineer in O&G, there are plenty of staff roles in Manchester available, the workload is on the increase in August with quite a few projects kicking off.....
 alexm198 02 Jun 2015
In reply to joe.91:

Come to Chamonix and solve any potential climbing partner issues I might face?

Seriously though Joe, if you fancy it drop me a message.
OP joe.91 02 Jun 2015
If it were my personal choice I'd want to remain in Aberdeen as I've become quite settled, and if my job goes south I will probably try and return when the market hopefully picks up so I'd like to keep Scotland as a long term option! That and the weather is unreliable to say the least...

I like the idea of a dirt bag trip around the states but I'd be going solo which scares me a little, along with the American health system. I'm getting more renowned for trips to A&E these past few years! But the climbing is spectacular!

And Alex I will let you know if I do end up in Cham! What are your arrangements atm, found somewhere to live out there yet?
MattDTC 02 Jun 2015
In reply to joe.91:

I know it's easier said than done but I'd make the effort and go somewhere beyond the UK. Unless you're careful, long stretches of time (ie. several months) become increasingly hard to find as you get older, so if you get the chance, I'd take it now. You'll have plenty of time later to do stuff closer to home.
I travelled/climbed round the US mainly alone for a year (back in the 80's mind, so things may have changed). There were plenty of other dirtbag climbers around to hook up with in popular areas like Yosemite, Joshua tree. I would have thought it would be easier these days with the internet - you could set up partners before you even head out there by posting of climbing sites. You tend to find as you meet up with people things develop from there - people offer you places to stay, jobs, places to go, and further people to hook up with. You've just got to put yourself out there and be open. I've done similar in Europe - it's closer to home (but sometimes that just makes it easier to bail out and come home), and there's loads to go at. But on the other hand it's all easy to get to for short holidays. I bet Canada would be good, especially if you're into mountains/winter, but don't know what it's like for hooking up with people . Can't comment on Australia/S.E Asia.
 Timmd 02 Jun 2015
In reply to galpinos:
> I see you're a Chemical Engineer in Aberdeen. Assuming that means you're a process engineer in O&G, there are plenty of staff roles in Manchester available, the workload is on the increase in August with quite a few projects kicking off.....

Shh he wants to go climbing

Nice one for mentioning it btw
Post edited at 15:08

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...