UKC

Aldi One Man Backpackers Tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Aldi One Man Backpackers Tent.

£19.99 1.5kg

Anyone got one of these? Worth a punt?

Currently looking for a light one man tent.
Been looking at the North Ridge Col Lite at £100 in GoOutdoors which is around my budget so opinions on it would be appreciated too.

Any other budget recommendations?

Cheers
 Welsh Kate 03 Jun 2015
In reply to becauseitsthere:

Yes; Terra Nova are having a Factory / Clearance sale and have the Zephyros 2 on offer. £100 for a well rated c.1.8kg tent for two. I'd definitely consider it.
http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/sale/?page=1&sort=pricehigh&limit=20&am...

I've never seen the tent, but to be fair to Aldi, their kit has always been pretty good for the money.

Not a patch on a real tent, of course, but damn good value for £20!
 The Potato 03 Jun 2015

If its anything like the pro action 1 man tent that was about the same price, you'll get wetter from condensation than rain
 sheep 04 Jun 2015

I took a punt, thinking i'd be be disappointed, and of course i was (i'm not too bothered though, i'll give it to the kid next door).

The tent is useable, with a tarp-style groundsheet, but virtually no porch area and very poor pegs. You get what you pay for, i guess.

Anyway, it got me thinking along the right lines and i bought a Zephyros 1. (i've been lugging around a Terra Nova Voyager for the last 20 years and it's almost a kilo lighter than that).

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/wild-country-tents-zephyros-1-tent-71110048?...

That's a good price for a good tent, i'm very pleased with it. There's a 'lite' version out this year which is 0.25 kilos lighter but almost twice the price.

Andrew Wilson 04 Jun 2015
In reply to sheep:

Haha, have you seen the pegs you get with a £700 Terra Nova tent? Handy toothpicks

mountmarcus 05 Jun 2015

£20 for a tent? yikes how can any other business compete with that? Part of me likes the idea of cheap stuff but the other part feel sorry for all small businesses who sell tents.
 sheep 05 Jun 2015
In reply to mountmarcus:

> £20 for a tent? yikes how can any other business compete with that? Part of me likes the idea of cheap stuff but the other part feel sorry for all small businesses who sell tents.

There's a plethora of cheap and crappy tents out there that won't be of much interest to users of this site and won't put a dent in the sales of any serious outdoor retailers. Just saying
 digby 05 Jun 2015
Cheap Aldi tents. Shortly to be seen abandoned at a beauty spot near you. Along with assorted bottles, cans, half burnt trainers and bits of clothing, plastic bags, bbqs etc etc

So in fact you can get one for nothing.
Post edited at 17:24
 Sharp 05 Jun 2015

I can't say without seeing it but it sounds very similar to my one man tent, the gelert solo which cost £25 when I got it about 5 years ago. Brilliant tent, held up in some horrific weather and strong winds without a problem - probably more due to the shape and size than the quality of construction but then it doesn't appear to be obviously cheaply made either.

There's some wetness to be expected in the worst of the weather but i've never got soaked in it and if I cram myself and my soaking wet kit into a tiny one man "coffin" (it's nick name) then I expect to get a little wet. Of course it could be a completely different tent. Light weight pegs and poles scavenged from another tent have brought the weight down a bit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...