UKC

Mont Buet - what next?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mart 03 Jun 2015
Climbed Mont Buet last summer (3300m). Was snow free but was prepared for if not, and was plastered a few days later. It was recommended to do it over two days, but took me about 6 hours up. Now looking for something similar or greater in height around the French Alps area, although I am flexible. I am a solo walker with no alpine experience, so I am looking for something non technical but with the same 'challenge'. Any ideas?
 BruceM 04 Jun 2015
In reply to mart:

Hi. It might be easier to suggest stuff if you state your aim. You say you have no alpine experience. So are you wanting to gradually increase that experience by doing more and more technical stuff? Or are you just wanting to "walk" up higher and higher things, that don't demand "alpine" skills?
mart 04 Jun 2015
In reply to BruceM:

Hi
For now I am just looking for ideas for this summer - developing alpine skills will come at a later date - non technical really, so yes just some equally or more challenging peaks that I can walk up. I am happy to carry axe and crampons, but looking for things I can do on my own which don't require roping up.
 BruceM 05 Jun 2015
In reply to mart:

Some ideas, but you might already know these.

Chamonix

La Jonction (daytrip)
Ag Crochues and/or Ag du Belvedere (daytrip airy scrambling required)
Aig du Genepi (from Albert Prem hut, daytrip or overnight from valley)
Domes du miage (1st Peak only which is closest to hut/bivvy: no glacier but steep snow/ice near top)
Petit Mt Blanc (Bus through tunnel Italy bivvy en route)
Couvercle Hut (if happy with exposure of ladders -- or do it with VF kit)
Aig Gouter ** see below

Saas

Lagginhorn (W ridge walk/scramble, bivvy at bottom or daytrip - have done as both)
Jegihorn (Normal and/or VF South route)
Mischabelhorn (to hut or just above)

Zermatt

Mettlehorn (daytrip)
Oberrothorn (daytrip)

** If you ignore cable cars and trains the walk in from Chamonix/Les Houches to Ag Gouter summit is a great 2 day expedition (camp at Tete Rousse free site - depends on time of year whether full or not) to almost 4000m. BUT you would need some good scrambling skills and a bit of alpine nous so as to go up/down the grand couloir at the right time of day/night and know how to do it safely with other people about. And pref a helmet. So you need to do a bit more first. But is quite exciting with all the buzz going on. Breakfast snack at Gouter hut then back down while all the rest slog it out for the top or fail. Or just go up and back to TR hut if you don't like scrambling or are not up to the alpiney bit. That's still a good hike from Les Houches.
mart 05 Jun 2015
In reply to BruceM:

Thanks for that - looks like some great ideas there, will look into them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...