UKC

Folding portable pee bottle?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 splat2million 03 Jun 2015
Does anyone use some sort of portable urine collection system so you don't have to leave the tent while camping?

I have a trip coming up and planning prophylactic diamox but want to minimise disruption to my sleep from walking to the toilet tent.

I could just take a plastic urine bottle / normal water bottle but don't really want to use the same bottle for pee and drinking and would rather not carry something larger than necessary.
Removed User 03 Jun 2015
In reply to splat2million:

i tend to use a hard Nalgene bottle (it's yellow as well) for wee-ing into. You might (or not, i don't know) want to get the wide-neck version! They do do a collapsable wide-necked version but i've only ever seen that in the USA. I just wonder how long i'd trust the seams, though...use a collapsable water reservoir, if you like that sort of thing. You only really need a 1l pee bottle for overnight (although if you're taking a diuretic...) so it shouldn't take up much space. i don't share pee bottles, although i have lent a full one to a mate as a hot water bottle (he didn't realise until the morning...)
People with more knowledge will undoubtedly come on to discuss the prophylactic diamox, but i wouldn't. Go up more slowly.
 Nutkey 03 Jun 2015
How long are you camping for? I end up having to pee a lot in the night on mountain marathons (as do most people, I think, function of trying to rehydrate!), and since I have spare sandwich bags that my dinner was packed in, I just use them. Unzip tent, poke bag outside, sort it out in the morning. I don't even need to get out of my sleeping bag.
Post edited at 22:37

Yep, I use a Nalgene Folding Widemouth Cantene. hth!

I use a 2 pint milk bottle. It can be flattened somewhat if necessary.

But, since you mention diamox, I'm assuming altitude. Where it is likely to be cold. You might end up with a giant piss popsicle...
 Denzil 03 Jun 2015
In reply to highaltitudebarista:

> Yep, I use a Nalgene Folding Widemouth Cantene. hth!

One of the guys on my last Himalayan trip had one of these - bought one this week for a week long sea kayaking trip next week. So much easier to pack than the rigid Nalgene bottle I've used in the past.
 Damo 04 Jun 2015

I've pissed in all sorts of things over the years, including a rubber washing-up glove while stuck in a storm on Mt. Rainier The soft/collapsible wide necked bottles are OK, as are some 'hydration bladder' type things, but these are more prone to breaking when frozen - I've had that happen too.

Certain laundry/dish detergent bottles can be good as they're cheap, have a wide(ish) neck and often a good handle, which minimises danger peeing whilst in your bag. But generally I just use a hard lexan Nalgene bottle. I've also got over using a spare drink bottle as a pee bottle. Just give it a quick rinse and you don't taste a thing.
 Kimberley 04 Jun 2015

search 'uriwell' it fits your description but to be honest a Nalgene bottle is more convenient.

Presumably a trip to altitude, will you be carrying all your own kit? If not put it in your portered kit bag.

As an aside, I'm interested as to why you would choose prophylactic diamox, it would be common to adopt an itinerary where this should be unnecessary for the vast majority of people.
OP splat2million 04 Jun 2015
In reply to Kimberley:

> As an aside, I'm interested as to why you would choose prophylactic diamox, it would be common to adopt an itinerary where this should be unnecessary for the vast majority of people.

You are, of course, correct. But I am working on a trip with a nasty ascent profile (it's Kilimanjaro...) so don't have the option of changing the itinerary. I think the balance of risk favours the side-effects of diamox (especially if I can find a solution for the diuresis) with (hopefully) reduced symptoms of AMS. Also since it is business rather than pleasure, if I get more than mildly unwell I have no problems with staying where I am or going down.

Think it looks like a conventional bottle is the way forward. But I don't think I'll be drinking from it afterwards!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...