UKC

Camping Matterhorn, Zermatt, Switzerland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
chaldakov 04 Jun 2015

Does anyone have experience withe camping Matterhorn in Switzerland near to the top Matterhorn in Alps?
How good is this campsite?

I'm looking for good tent camping near Matterhorn in Alps.

Camping Matterhorn adres: Spissstrasse 17, 3920 Zermatt
http://campingzermatt.ipeak.ch/de/matterhorn.html

Thank you,
Nick
Post edited at 15:03
 Mark Collins 04 Jun 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

I think the campsite in the op is next to the train station in Zermatt so might be a bit on the noisy side. I, admittedly a decade or so ago, used to stay at this one:
http://www.camping-randa.ch/

A regular mini bus service used to link it to Zermatt. Don't know what its like now, but back then it was very clean, had an adjoining bar and restaurant and a boulder on site for climbing.
chaldakov 04 Jun 2015
In reply to Mark Collins:
Is there any good camping for tent on the Italian side of the Matterhorn?

Thank you
Post edited at 15:23
 Mark Collins 04 Jun 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

Sorry, I can't help you there but I'm sure someone will be along soon.
 lpretro1 15 Jun 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

Very good campsite at Randa just down the valley from Zermatt - has a restaurant and a bar. It is easy to arrange minibus/taxi for reasonable rates to go up to Zermatt itself
 wilkesley 16 Jun 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

If you want to be a true cheapskate, like me, you can camp on top of the tunnel where the train comes into Zermatt. I haven't stayed in Zermatt since the early 1990's, but the "official" campsite was expensive and had poor facilities.
 MG 16 Jun 2015
In reply to chaldakov:
> Is there any good camping for tent on the Italian side of the Matterhorn?

> Thank you

You have to go a fair way down the valley. Nothing in Cervinia or, I am fairly sure, Valtournenche. There is a bus service upand down the valley.
Post edited at 20:15
 aostaman 17 Jun 2015
In reply to

Try this. It's on the Love VDA site. I've never stayed there

http://www.lovevda.it/en/accommodation/campsites?url=/Home/Risultati/DBB9C1...
 Gav M 17 Jun 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

I stayed there in September. It was very cheap and very noisy - shunting trains, electric vehicles, revellers returning from nightclubs.

The proprietor smelled very strongly of sheep and had climbed the Matterhorn over 500 times.

I look back fondly on it but would not stay there again.

BruceM 21 Jun 2015
In reply to Gav M:

This is a brilliant and accurate description However, given where you are, and the fact that there is nothing else around, it works, and I have stayed many times.
chaldakov 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Mark Collins:
What is the cost of transport from the Camping «Attermenzen» to Zermatt?

Thank you,
Nick
Post edited at 07:19
 solomonkey 06 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

It was 20 Swiss francs in a Freddy taxi , that's the local company and that's return up to 7-30 pm , after that you have to pay a bit extra on top of your return , they pull in at the campsite entrance every hour I think but if you ask at the camp site when you get there and they will give you a freddy card or phone him for you , normally a mini bus ride you won't forget !
 solomonkey 06 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

I forgot to say , when the Freddy himself picked us up in his posh Vito he was not impressed when we tried to pay in euros !
He wanted Swiss francs and took UK Stirling over euros ! Nice bloke other than that , also I think he's an ex rally driver !
chaldakov 06 Jul 2015
In reply to solomonkey:
Freddy taxi 2 person:

Camping to Zermatt - 20 CHF x 2 = 40 CHF
Zermatt to Camping - 20 CHF x 2 = 40 CHF
Camping Attermenzen:
http://campingzermatt.ipeak.ch/de/matterhorn.html
11 CHF x 2 person = 22 CHF
Total: 102 CHF

For 102 CHF I will find hotel in Zermatt... I will have facilities ... I do not understand the logic ...?
What do you think?
Post edited at 21:02
chaldakov 06 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

Can anybody show photos from Camping Matterhorn?

Thank you,
Nick
chaldakov 06 Jul 2015
In reply to wilkesley:

> If you want to be a true cheapskate, like me, you can camp on top of the tunnel where the train comes into Zermatt.

Is this allowed?
 solomonkey 06 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

I could be wrong but I think that could be the campsite in zermatt(looks like it on the website picture?) not the one down the road/valley - you can't drive your car into zermatt and the campsite down the road is as far as you can drive - hence the taxi to and from there , if you are not driving /public transport) you might be better off trying somewhere in zermatt
 solomonkey 06 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

As for the photos , I can't find them at the moment , but you can't see the Matterhorn from the site , however it's is surrounded by peaks which catch the Alpen glow and also has a cool boulder with a few problems on , you can pitch your tent right by it if your lucky
 Only a hill 07 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

Here's a photo of the campsite in 2007.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/51465885@N06/19304070969/in/dateposted-public...

I last stayed there in 2008, and it was ok – a bit noisy as others have said, facilities a bit basic, but what do you really need from a campsite? Some of the best campsites I've stayed at have consisted of nothing but a field and a water tap. I remember the sense of community in the campsite being pretty great, though – climbers talking to each other, sharing tips and plans, giving away gear and supplies they didn't need.
chaldakov 04 Aug 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

Does free WIFI in the camping?

Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...