UKC

trekinn - ID request

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ian bryant 05 Jun 2015
i've seen varying reviews of people's experieince of 'trekinn' customer service on here. i've used them before, mainly because the price was unbeatable but tried to buy something yesterday and have since received several requests to send them ID to confirm my identity. they wanted either:
a) a copy of my passport - no way i'm sending anyone that!
or b) the credit card authorisation number for the transaction. so, i spoke with my credit card company and they advised against giving them that too.

so, this morning i've called them to explain that whilst they need to verify my identity, i too am uncomfortable as to whether they are making bona fides requests for my ID.
bottom line is i've cancelled the transaction.

has anyone actually given them the ID they ask for? seems foolish to me given the extent of ID fraud that exists today. i also don't understand why a company would need to verify my ID for a crdit card transaction; once they have the payment from the credit card company they should be happy - any problems over ID then rest with the credit card company surely.

isn't this a nail in the coffin for trekinn?

Removed User 05 Jun 2015
In reply to ian bryant:
Some actual details would be helpful.

What did you order? What was the total price? Did you ask them to ship it to a work address? Is the CC not in your name? Surely they sent you some sort of Id request email, what was their reasons for requesting ID?

Not sure why you wouldn't just give them the CC auth code, there's literally nothing anyone could do with that even from an ID theft/fraud point of view.
Post edited at 10:11
 GPN 05 Jun 2015
In reply to ian bryant:

> i also don't understand why a company would need to verify my ID for a crdit card transaction; once they have the payment from the credit card company they should be happy - any problems over ID then rest with the credit card company surely.

No, the liability ulimately lies with the vendor for fraudulent transactions.

OP ian bryant 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Removed User:

> Some actual details would be helpful.
Oh really!

> What did you order? What was the total price? Did you ask them to ship it to a work address? Is the CC not in your name? Surely they sent you some sort of Id request email, what was their reasons for requesting ID?
it was several items, over £300, to a work address, they emailed me twice, card is in my name, i've transacted with trekinn before without similar requests for ID, they claim the ID request is to prevent fraud - that enough for you?

> Not sure why you wouldn't just give them the CC auth code, there's literally nothing anyone could do with that even from an ID theft/fraud point of view.
simple - my credit card company advised me not to!

Removed User 05 Jun 2015
In reply to ian bryant:

I've bought from them over half a dozen times and they've never asked me for ID. Perhaps they only do it for high value transactions because they aren't a UK company.

As for the auth code, I'm assuming you didn't google to find out what one actually is (which would have explained why they requested it from you). I've done that on your behalf and you can read about it here: https://www.2checkout.com/ecommerce-glossary/credit-card-authorization-code... As you can see, it's not something that can be used in any way against yourself - it's commonly requested in international transactions to confirm that the issuing bank has authorised the payment.

Of course the bank is going to tell you not to give out any of your banking information, why would they tell you otherwise? CYA, CYA, CYA.

mart 05 Jun 2015
In reply to ian bryant:

I bought Salomon skis and boots from them for a massively knock down price (previous seasons). I sent them the passport copy as requested and had no problems whatsoever. Unless someone is currently travelling the world as me that is....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...