UKC

Horses sh**ting on the roads and paths

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 05 Jun 2015
Is there any particular reason that horse riders or the person that walks beside them can't clean up the piles of crap left behind by their horses?

In Germany, a lot of the regions make riders carry a couple of saddle bags for the horse crap and also some regions also make whoever is out with them pull a small garden type trolley with them to pick up after themselves. Fairly hefty fines if it's left on pavements or roads.

A couple of horses basically blocked the pavement into school today with piles of crap and when asked what they were going to do about it, the riders, both owners of the local equestrian centre said they would do bugger all because they didn't need to, it's only dog owners that have to pick up after themselves and that "don't worry, most cars just squash it so the pile goes away or it gets washed away"! Felt like rubbing here indignant face in said crap.

One of the mums then drove her car ahead of the horses and blocked the little gate that the riders use to get into the local fields ans she had clearly had enough as the fields are the local football pitches also covered in said horse crap which have to be cleaned before footie matches.

I think they thought we were being unreasonable but come on, piles of horse crap all over the pavements and roads, not on surely?

Small rant over.
In reply to Denni:
I feel your pain considering the issue with dog's and poop.

Maybe if they were to put it in large plastic bags and hang it from tree's such as is popular nowadays.

Smirk

OM
Post edited at 14:54
 lummox 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

completely agree.
 Alyson 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

I don't have an answer to the questions you've posed but will happily join in the rant. I regularly cycle sections of bridleway - particularly the trans-pennine bridleway and associated network - and it is especially galling through tunnel and underpass sections where the poo just accumulates with no hope of either being washed away by rain or of drying out and blowing away. There's one particular tunnel which unfortunately is close to a riding centre and it absolutely stinks and is foul to ride through.
 Trangia 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

Oh come on! Horse shit isn't anything like as offensive as dog shit. Why, some people go to great lengths to put it on their rose beds. Have you ever tried picking it up and rubbing it into your fingers? It dries to leave a nice fresh smell on your hands.
 Jonny2vests 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Yeah. We used to have horse shit fights as a kid. It's just processed grass after all.
 ThunderCat 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Trangia:

> Have you ever tried picking it up and rubbing it into your fingers? It dries to leave a nice fresh smell on your hands.

?

(hands back the sandwiches that Trangia made for me earlier)
In reply to Denni:

Horse shit is pretty much just fertile soil. I don't find it offensive in the least.

That said, I feel my dog on a raw diet and bones. Obviously I pick her crap up, however in my garden if I miss a bit it just goes white and crumbles within a day or two. The problem is that we typically as a nation feed dogs food they can't digest leaving piles of horrific smelly, slow to degrade shit all over the place. Not only that dogs fed badly fart like troopers and have yellow teeth and horrible breath. On my life I genuinely can't remember the last time my dog farted. It must happen, but I never smell it.

Anyway, I'm off topic!
 The Lemming 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Trangia:

> Oh come on! Horse shit isn't anything like as offensive as dog shit.

My little Bailey loves eating horse shit and no amount of shouting or arm flapping will deter the little bugger

Andy Gamisou 05 Jun 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

> My little Bailey loves eating horse shit and no amount of shouting or arm flapping will deter the little bugger

Your son?
 The New NickB 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

It's obviously much less toxic than dog shit, but the sheer volume is the problem, I also live near an equestrian centre and the huge amounts on local roads and pavements really isn't good. Especially after rain when the whole area looks like it's had slurry sprayed on it.
 Dave Williams 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

I don't normally get involved in these typically blinkered, ranty and prejudiced UKC posts, but as the other half of a multi horse owning partnership, who also occasionally rides, I'd like to offer the following comments:

Horse droppings on roads can definitely be a bone of contention, particularly in urban areas where townies are concerned. For country dwellers, who also have to cope with cow shit and sheep shit on the roads, it's an issue which is kept in perspective. It's not illegal for a cow, sheep or horse to shit on the road in the UK, nor is it a legal requirement to pick it up.

A droppings bag can be fitted on to carriage horses, but this is not possible for the ridden horse. A major issue is that it is virtually impossible to predict when/ where a horse will defecate although it will be particularly likely to do so if startled or at a place where it has been startled before. This could explain the droppings outside the school as it's likely to be a situation that would cause great stress to the horses and possibly the riders (horses can sense their rider's stress and can become agitated and nervous as a result.) It may well be the case that the riders in question should think carefully and try to avoid riding where droppings are likely to give offence or time their ride to avoid busy periods when their horses could be needlessly startled .

Confrontation and shouting as described will only make the horses shit more out of nervousness. In any case, contrary to popular belief, horse shit is just accelerated compost and droppings from healthy horses pose minimal risk to human health.

In many cases, people who have no understanding of horses wish to see riders dismount and shovel the shit into a bag and take it with them, just as you would do with a poodle on a lead. While this may appeal to both the ignorant and the uninformed, such action is often totally impractical as a dismounted and riderless horse will always pose a great danger to the public because if it was then startled, it would simply bolt uncontrollably. There are also issues with remounting an agitated horse who won't stay still on a public road as car drivers usually drive far too close, too fast and too aggressively to horses these days. The very last thing most riders would want to do is deliberately dismount a horse on a road, then leave it while they go and shovel a pile of shit into a bag. Tying the horse to a fence or similar isn't an option, just in case the horse might injure itself - or others - if startled while tethered.

People make choices; sometimes they're the wrong ones. What's needed is mutual understanding and tolerance on all sides, something that's sadly lacking these days, as evidenced by your response, the mother's stupid actions with the car as well as the horse riders' equally stupid decision to ride past a school at a very busy time of day.

GrahamD 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Dave Williams:

Nothing a 6" bung and a lump hammer can't sort out.
 wintertree 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

I'm about 100 times more annoyed at clueless dog owners who through either malicious incompetence or wilful ignorance let their dogs shit on roads, footpaths, in long grass, on beaches, and generally everywhere and then don't remove said shit.

Horse crap is confined to a more predictable range of areas, is easier to spot and hence avoid, presents a significantly lower health hazard and doesn't stink to high heaven.

mypyrex 05 Jun 2015

Interesting and balanced comments. My theory is that I think there is a problem that some "townies" have with the horse riding fraternity in that, following the vehemence about fox hunting, all riders are tarred with the same brush. When urban people see somebody on horseback they instinctively identify them with hunting.

That said I have seen some riders looking upon other road users as if they were, indeed, something that a dog had left behind.

If people feel so strongly about horse sh*t they could always take advantage by collecting it and putting it on their roses
 wercat 05 Jun 2015

I don't disagree with any of your points in general but riders knowing the random timings for dumping could avoid pavements - the OP refers to pavements and amenities being dumped upon and has a fair point. All that said, dog shit is 100 times more offensive and 1000 times worse on your shoes or hands.
In reply to Denni:

where is all the horse shit, I'll come with a few bags and clear it up. We need good manure for our rosebed.

seriously though, if it were as big an issue as people putting their pooches dog shit in a bag and leaving it tied to a fence, I'd be with you all the way, but it's not.
OP Denni 05 Jun 2015

Nothing blinkered about it. You've got your view on it and I've got the view that I don't fancy walking through horse shit to get my daughter to school or should that be part of your tolerance initiative? As you said, it is sadly lacking these days but in this case, it's the horse riders with a total disregard to everyone around them.

If a horse craps that much that they block the only gate to the entrance of the school and the only alternatives are let the children and adults walk through it, push prams through it or politely ask the riders to remove it, then what's the problem asking them to remove it? Also, as you mentioned, experienced equestrian and stable owners riding their horses down a busy school road right at drop off time and right past the school gates? A total disregard for anyone else if you ask me and also it's that busy with cars so why choose to do it at that time as isn't it more likely to aggravate the horses? And what if they get aggravated? A road full of kids, adults, cars and pushchairs and horses being mostly skittish, it doesn't make for good newspaper reading if it all goes tits up does it?

Also, as I said, in Germany in some regions by law, they have to remove it if it is a public area so saddle bags on the horses which are feasible or the walkers next to the riders put it in a small pull along trolley. Not hard is it? It seems they manage it without a problem, without horses running amok and with little fuss so no reason why riders in the UK couldn't but I think the case there is they wouldn't, rather than couldn't.
 wercat 05 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

this isn't just an urban issue - riders in our village persistently use the pavement and make the narow footway almost unusable. Nothing against it on the road, but the pavement is thoughtless equestrianism.
 wercat 05 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Not all riders behave the same and generally they behave pretty well round here, but there are some who simply don't give a ... where it falls
 winhill 05 Jun 2015

> I don't normally get involved in these typically blinkered, ranty and prejudiced UKC posts, but as the other half of a multi horse owning partnership, who also occasionally rides, I'd like to offer the following comments:

Sounds a bit preachy

> A droppings bag can be fitted on to carriage horses, but this is not possible for the ridden horse. A major issue is that it is virtually impossible to predict when/ where a horse will defecate although it will be particularly likely to do so if startled or at a place where it has been startled before.

This from the BHS advice on the subject:

A droppings bag can be installed behind carriage horses but this is not possible for the ridden horse. It is virtually impossible to predict when/where a horse will defecate although it will be particularly likely to do so if startled or where it has been startled before.

http://www.bhs.org.uk/~/media/BHS/Files/PDF%20Documents/Access%20leaflets/D...

But you seem to have edited out this bit:

"If a path has a hard surface that is used by people with wheelchairs, cycles or pushchairs, try if you can to move your horse so that the droppings fall onto the verge and do not clog the other path users’ wheels...On such routes it is much appreciated if riders are able to dismount and kick droppings to one side. "

As someone with a reasonable experience of riding on roads, with untrained horses as well, I would say that a rider that is unable to mount and dismount safely shouldn't be on the road unaccompanied in the first place.

Passing off other people's work as your own and calling people a string of names isn't a recipe for mutual tolerance, despite the preachy tone.
OP Denni 05 Jun 2015
In reply to winhill:

And of course, they completely disregarded the law/rules whatever you want to call them by riding on the pavement;

https://www.gov.uk/rules-about-animals-47-to-58/horse-riders-49-to-55

Obviously it doesn't apply to them.
 Nick Alcock 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

Shit is shit and it should all be cleared up from the pavement. Be it horse, cow, sheep, dog or human.

Thasorl.
In reply to Nick Alcock:

> Shit is shit and it should all be cleared up from the pavement. Be it horse, cow, sheep, dog or human.

Horse and dog shit are very different, so no, "shit isn't shit".

Imagine what would happen if horse riders were obliged to 'bag it and bin it'. Trees and fences festooned with bulging carrier bags waiting for the horse shit fairies to come along...

... Or rose growers...

[Have you noticed that Nanny UKC is allowing us to type 'shit'...]
Clauso 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

You think that YOU have problems?... There are a few fields of cows, near to where I live, and there's cow shit all over the place!
 Timmd 05 Jun 2015
In reply to wercat:
> I don't disagree with any of your points in general but riders knowing the random timings for dumping could avoid pavements - the OP refers to pavements and amenities being dumped upon and has a fair point. All that said, dog shit is 100 times more offensive and 1000 times worse on your shoes or hands.

I'm thinking the same, horse shit outside schools or on football fields where it has to be cleared up before a match isn't great. I don't actually mind horse shit though, I think it has quite a nice smell.

Dog, pig and chicken are the worst I've smelt, I think.
Post edited at 18:23
 Timmd 05 Jun 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

> [Have you noticed that Nanny UKC is allowing us to type 'shit'...]

I was just enjoying the novelty.
 Timmd 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:
Apparently, it's not so great for horses backs for them to be frequently re mounted without a step for the rider to use, as it can twist their backs, I was involved with putting in mounting blocks in a nature reserve in the Peak District, and they look like little seats with staples hammered into them.

Possibly like a few people reading this, I did find myself wondering how horses managed in the past before this was thought of, but apparently it's true. I guess horses getting bad backs was just seen as one of those things which could happened eventually.
Post edited at 18:14
 Timmd 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Alyson:

> I don't have an answer to the questions you've posed but will happily join in the rant. I regularly cycle sections of bridleway - particularly the trans-pennine bridleway and associated network - and it is especially galling through tunnel and underpass sections where the poo just accumulates with no hope of either being washed away by rain or of drying out and blowing away. There's one particular tunnel which unfortunately is close to a riding centre and it absolutely stinks and is foul to ride through.

You could mention this...see if they might arrange it's removal?
 galpinos 05 Jun 2015
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> where is all the horse shit, I'll come with a few bags and clear it up. We need good manure for our rosebed.

Chorlton, SW Manchester, from the police horses. I'm unsure how effective horse back policing is in a city suburb but seems to be the method of choice.

> seriously though, if it were as big an issue as people putting their pooches dog shit in a bag and leaving it tied to a fence, I'd be with you all the way, but it's not.

Agreed. Despite having a soft spot for pretty much any dog, I don'yt think they're a pet for urban areas.
 flopsicle 05 Jun 2015
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

Horses do epic farts!
 Yanis Nayu 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> I'm thinking the same, horse shit outside schools or on football fields where it has to be cleared up before a match isn't great. I don't actually mind horse shit though, I think it has quite a nice smell.

> Dog, pig and chicken are the worst I've smelt, I think.

I suggest you dig out a cat shit and give it a sniff...
 Timmd 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I forgot about cats. Groo...
In reply to galpinos:

> Agreed. Despite having a soft spot for pretty much any dog, I don'yt think they're a pet for urban areas.

I don't think dogs have become so urbanised that they're bagging their own shit and leaving it for the fairies; that's down to their moronic owners.
 Andy Say 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

> I think they thought we were being unreasonable but come on, piles of horse crap all over the pavements and roads, not on surely?

And sheep! Those buggers are crapping all over the hills I want to walk over. Bastards. And don't talk to me about fecking seagulls!!!!
Its just bloody outrageous that animals should have a digestive system that means they have to crap everywhere.

'Piles of horse crap all over the pavements and roads' - never really seen that. Cardboard and mattresses, yes.
In reply to winhill:

Probably the most considered post so far. Increased regulation of riding on the roads is coming and incidents like the one the OP describes will just add momentum to perceived problems. Demanding greater tolerance of riders will be a moot point if riders are restricted or even barred from the roads. A more proactive approach to messing on the tarmac is needed before the issue reaches a tipping point - and the BHS seem to be recognising this.

As somebody who spends most of my day covered in every type of shit imaginable - and gets paid for it - I can confirm that horse faeces is the least offensive to eat, but not completely harmless: horses commonly carry Salmonella, so best to ingest in small amounts.

Fat Bumbly2 05 Jun 2015

Sheep shit stuck to my tyres all the time. Why are these incontinent animals allowed on the hill?

Seriously horse muck - is it not cleared up competitively by rose growers before it is flattened to harmless grass fibre by cars. I used to take a cow for a walk, to graze the village green - never got any hassle, but looking back, wandering around with a Jersey on a string must have looked strange.

I expect the horse riders are catching the same trouble that cyclists get, for daring to stray into the domain of the BMWs and tonka toys thereby slowing Mr Important down.
Post edited at 19:56
In reply to Jonny2vests:

> Yeah. We used to have horse shit fights as a kid. It's just processed grass after all.

But not as much fun as cow pat frisbee. You just had to make sure that the crust was thick enough to handle, yet still had a 'moist' underside.

I had a few sore backsides from my mum after coming home in a totally minging state. She literally turned the hosepipe on me before she'd let me get out of my clothes.
 Chris Murray 05 Jun 2015
In reply to wintertree:

> I'm about 100 times more annoyed at clueless dog owners who through either malicious incompetence or wilful ignorance let their dogs shit on roads, footpaths, in long grass, on beaches, and generally everywhere and then don't remove said shit.

> Horse crap is confined to a more predictable range of areas, is easier to spot and hence avoid, presents a significantly lower health hazard and doesn't stink to high heaven.

I'm about 1000 times more annoyed by the idiotic dog owners who leave little steaming parcels on fences, trees, hedges....or even conveniently in the middle of the path.

Hanging's too good for 'em, but I'd hang 'em anyway.
 LeeWood 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

In times gone by the owner(s) of the nearest garden(s) would have rushed out to do the clearing up - to their benefit - thats what we need to get back to.

Horse poo is undoubtedly rather visible. To keep things in perspective we should remember insiduous invisible pollution which cars make - and hich few of us are trying to compensate / clean-up after.
 nbonnett 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

i thought andy's rant over franco was shit but yours is plain bloody crap.

so where do you place cow shite on the roads .or even worse sheep crapping all over the hill paths.

you full of horse shit or something
 Timmd 05 Jun 2015
In reply to nbonnett:

Horse shit on a football field?
 nbonnett 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Timmd:

and ? last time i saw a football field it had grass on it, horse shit is grass , just a different colour . so i don't understand your question.

personally i like the smell of horse shit i don't see any problem with it.

i appreciate if your a townie then yes different coloured grass can be up setting for you but out in the big outdoors its what happens . Big grass feeding animals shit on roads and paths, shock horror
 Timmd 05 Jun 2015
In reply to nbonnett:
> and ? last time i saw a football field it had grass on it, horse shit is grass , just a different colour . so i don't understand your question.

> personally i like the smell of horse shit i don't see any problem with it.

> i appreciate if your a townie then yes different coloured grass can be up setting for you but out in the big outdoors its what happens . Big grass feeding animals shit on roads and paths, shock horror

I like the smell, but it could affect the run of the ball if it was in big enough heaps.

Post edited at 22:22
In reply to nbonnett:

see the vet's comment about salmonella above.

you might be relaxed about your kids slide tackling into piles of it, most wouldn't be

> [Have you noticed that Nanny UKC is allowing us to type 'shit'...]

still won't let us type derwentwater though...

BusyLizzie 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

My mother is 93, and she recalls the days when the regular horse-drawn traffic in her obscure Lancashire village (no-one has heard of Bacup have they?) left regular steaming heaps. These were valuable fertiliser for the allotments and gardens (on which families like her own depended for fruit and veg). So any freshly-steaming dollop would be rapidly and eagerly scooped up by a housewife, wsprinting out of the house sharply with a shovel. The convention was that you would only take the heap from directly outside your *own* house. Thou shalt not shovel up thy neighbour's horse poo.

i'm wrong, it does now!

is it because we're posting after the watershed...?
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Bacup really isn't obscure, it's also a town rather than a village. Nothing would surprise me about Bacup though!
 Postmanpat 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:
In his youth my dad played rugby one week on a pitch where some cows had grazed. Next game one of his team didn't turn up. He was dead….tetanus…...cow dung.

So, don't trip over as you pass through the school gates...
Post edited at 22:47
 BusyLizzie 05 Jun 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

Bacup a town? Hmm, I suppose so. I spent my first six years there and have never really recovered. Went back for a wedding a couple of years ago, on Easter Saturday, and accidentally met the Britannia Coco-nutters. Aghghgh.
 BusyLizzie 05 Jun 2015

By 'eck, you come from Rochdale; yes, you would know Bacup.
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> By 'eck, you come from Rochdale; yes, you would know Bacup.

I don't come from Rochdale, I just live here! I would still contest that it's a pretty well known place, if only for its weirdness!
 marsbar 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

These days we have vaccination for that.
 marsbar 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

Are you a townie that has moved to the countryside?
 John Ww 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Nick Alcock:

So when I followed a herd of several hundred cows up the road for about quarter of a mile most mornings for about 30 years on my way to work, you would insist that the farmer comes along behind them to clean the shit up after them? How, exactly?

JW
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

I mentioned the Wastwater and Derwentwater question to Paul about six months ago and he fixed it. Sorry...
 John Ww 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

In which regions of Germany do riders have to carry saddlebags? I spend a lot of time in Niedersachsen (probably the equestrian capital of Germany) and I've yet to see it. Evidence please?

JW
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

One more pathogen amongst a raft of other soil-borne pathogens. Big whoop.
 Jimbo C 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

Just help yourself and stick it on your garden. The plants will love it.
In reply to John Ww:
I look forward to reading a rant in the Daily Mail that "those bloody sausage-eating Eurocrats are forcing upstanding Surrey horsewomen to collect their horses' droppings with yet more pointless red tape, blah blah (contd p97)..."
Post edited at 00:16
 Jimbo C 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:

> Increased regulation of riding on the roads is coming...

Under a Tory government? Do you think that would happen?

timjones 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

> If a horse craps that much that they block the only gate to the entrance of the school and the only alternatives are let the children and adults walk through it, push prams through it or politely ask the riders to remove it, then what's the problem asking them to remove it?

Blocks the gate! How high is this mountain of dung
 timjones 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

> In his youth my dad played rugby one week on a pitch where some cows had grazed. Next game one of his team didn't turn up. He was dead….tetanus…...cow dung.

> So, don't trip over as you pass through the school gates...

It's as likely to have come from the soil as from cow dung.
 flopsicle 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:
I was a groom/yard jockey for the best part of 2 decades. Granted, I did not get to ride riding school equines, but the young stock and stallions I did spend my riding life on would pose more threat to life and limb should a deranged jockey decide to pop off to bag up poop than the presence of said poop!

I spent working days in contact with horse shit, often ate while I worked as did all grooms. My daughter has played on muck heap mountain, previous generations likewise. It may have traces of salmonella but it would be interesting to know how it compares to your average dishcloth. I had 3 days off sick in all those years - 2 of which in a and e, one with flu.

My daughter has puked 3 times in 7 yrs

Edited to add - I would never ride near kids on foot. It's that not the shit that strikes me as dangerous.
Post edited at 07:05
 Chris H 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:
Horse sht outside schools, toproping, excessive chalk, cycling on pavements Etc etc - all issues about lack of consideration for others caused by Thatcher
 spartacus 06 Jun 2015
'In any case, contrary to popular belief, horse shit is just accelerated compost and droppings from healthy horses pose minimal risk to human health.'

when in the country I often carry a small sliced loaf in case I come across sufficient 'droppings' for a sandwich. It makes a tasty and cheap alternative to a trip to Mc Donald's.

Trangia 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Aztec Bar:

> 'In any case, contrary to popular belief, horse shit is just accelerated compost and droppings from healthy horses pose minimal risk to human health.'

> It makes a tasty and cheap alternative to a trip to Mc Donald's.

And probably considerably healthier!

abseil 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Aztec Bar:

> ......I often carry a small sliced loaf in case I come across sufficient 'droppings' for a sandwich. It makes a tasty and cheap alternative to a trip to Mc Donald's.

Errrrr if we go climbing I'll bring my own sandwiches. No offence....
 galpinos 06 Jun 2015

The state some of the paths around here are in, I'd take the bags compared to it smeared over the pavement.
 peppermill 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Blimey this brings back memories of playing for Wensleydale RUFC.

Match day began a walk around the pitch with a bucket of sand to fill in all the rabbit holes and another empty bucket to shovel up any cow/sheep shit.
abseil 06 Jun 2015
In reply to peppermill:

> Blimey this brings back memories of playing for Wensleydale RUFC.

> Match day began a walk around the pitch with a bucket of sand to fill in all the rabbit holes and another empty bucket to shovel up any cow/sheep shit.

Why not skip both buckets and just fill the holes with the cow/sheep droppings? Just trying to help. (And what does "RUFC" mean? Apologies but I'm on a raging lifelong never-ending 24-hours-a-day crusade against acronyms, nothing personal).
Post edited at 10:07
jac the lassie 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

I have a wee horse. She'll shit about 3 times when we're daundering about. That's a hell of a weight in shit to be carrying about! It's mostly water. If it's on the the road it'll be squished out of existence within a day. About three days on a dirt path. I do get of and kick it off the cycle path but I got told of by the locals, as it makes it hard to shovel up for their gardens! My horse can't shit enough for them, lol

I don't know anyone round our area that would just leave shit outside a school. If it's a local equestrian centre just tell the council as there licence can be revoked unless they do something about it. Hate others giving a group a bad reputation. There's always gonna be a few bad apples I'm afraid. Doesn't mean there's nothing you can do about it.
 peppermill 06 Jun 2015
In reply to abseil:

Rugby Union Football Club??????????????

It's hardly a new middle-management, blue-sky thinking acronym!

> Why not skip both buckets and just fill the holes with the cow/sheep droppings? Just trying to help.

And yes, there er, may have been a bit of that
 Jim Fraser 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

Surely there is enough horse shit on UKC already?

Don't you lot have gardens? Why are you not down the lane with a shovel?

Maybe this is an age thing.
 The Potato 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

personally I think horses should be eaten and not allowed on to public roads full stop. Their era of usefulness has passed.
 Timmd 06 Jun 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> My mother is 93, and she recalls the days when the regular horse-drawn traffic in her obscure Lancashire village (no-one has heard of Bacup have they?) left regular steaming heaps. These were valuable fertiliser for the allotments and gardens (on which families like her own depended for fruit and veg). So any freshly-steaming dollop would be rapidly and eagerly scooped up by a housewife, wsprinting out of the house sharply with a shovel. The convention was that you would only take the heap from directly outside your *own* house. Thou shalt not shovel up thy neighbour's horse poo.

I've heard of Bacup.
 coinneach 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Me too

It's what you do when your laptop's fecked
 felt 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Jonny2vests:

> Yeah. We used to have horse shit fights as a kid. It's just processed grass after all.

We used to play fresh cow pat golf.
 The Potato 06 Jun 2015
In reply to felt:

Dried pat Frisbee also
 Dave the Rave 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:
I'm not too fussed about the droppings, but horses shouldn't be anywhere near main roads and traffic in general.
I regularly see horses around here on major roads posing a risk to the horse and drivers. Not too fussed about the riders as they are clearly mad.
 Timmd 07 Jun 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:
It's a funny one, I don't suppose it's impossible for horses to be chilled in that kind of environment because police horses seem to manage it, which does show it can be okay, but they are trained for that kind of thing.

I remember cycling past a man on a police horse outside the old West Bar station in Sheffield, and the horse was stressed and moving about from foot to foot, until I said soothing words to it, at which point it stopped.

There's definitely the potential for things to go wrong when horses mix with with busy roads.
Post edited at 02:04
If horses defecate when startled or anxious this problem could be easily solved with the purchase of a trained lion, to be tethered at the gate to the riding establishment and ensure that all bowels were completely emptied before emerging onto the public highway.
Post edited at 22:36
 DaveHK 07 Jun 2015

> What's needed is mutual understanding and tolerance on all sides,

Nah, what's needed is for people to clean up after themselves and stop making excuses for leaving shit lying about on paths which others have to use on foot, bike, wheelchair, pram etc.

Bulls Crack 07 Jun 2015

> Bacup really isn't obscure,

Standing joke over here in Calderdale. But then again, I used to work in Rochdale and Calderdale was the standing joke for wierdness.

Now Whitworth...even Rochdalians thought it was the ends of the Earth!.

Bulls Crack 07 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

Shit questions aside, horses should not be on the pavement. (Or public footpaths)
aultguish 07 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

As someone who runs and cycles around equestrian establishments and has done for absolutely years.....I've yet to find a pathway blocked full of shit, mind, maybe if someone does find a pile of poo that big, the boulderers could give it a grade and we can all join forces, feel the love and all support each others chosen sport.

Me biased? Being a horsey person, probably......but Denni, I think you need to get out more and stop turning into a grumpy old man before your time.

Now, where's my tunic and riding crop, I need to go give some peasants a damn good thrashing what what
 lummox 08 Jun 2015
In reply to Bulls Crack:

surely Fence is more obscure than Bacup ? Rawtenstall is world famous of course as the home of Whillans..
 jkarran 08 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

On road: Who cares, it's a road and there's all sorts of shite smooshed into it from dead animals, heavy metals from car exhausts and animal crap.

On bridle ways: Well the clue's in the name, step over it.

On pavement and playing fields: That's pretty unreasonable.

jk
 mypyrex 08 Jun 2015
In reply to jkarran:
> On road: Who cares, it's a road and there's all sorts of shite smooshed into it from dead animals, heavy metals from car exhausts and animal crap.

But you're disregarding the Chelsea Tractor set who spent no end of time and money trying to keep their four wheeled status symbols show room clean and resent the slightest blemish.
Post edited at 11:45
 the sheep 08 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

If the horsey types tell you its inoffensive then collect up a load from outside school, playing feilds etc, make it into a nice slurry and coat their beloved nags in it. See how much they like having to ride round on a horse that stinks like the pavement outside school
aultguish 08 Jun 2015
In reply to the sheep:

You've obviously never spent any time around horses.....they spend plenty time covered in their own shit already

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...