UKC

need a few ideas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Big Steve 05 Jun 2015
Im being made redundant in August, and as I have a little money stashed away I am thinking of going on a short traveling trip, maybe 3-4 months, although could be shorter or longer. I'd love to go climbing, but my wife is not a climber so I'm after some ideas where we could go. Ive got around 4000 to spend which would have to include flights. I lived in Turkey for a few years so I dont want to visit that part of the world. I want beautiful scenery, history, maybe the occasional beach. My ideas so far our USA, taking in Yosemite or Peru. Can these be done fairly cheaply, by cheaply I don't mean hostels!

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks
 alasdair19 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Big Steve:

is it 4k between 2 for 3 or 4 months?

Yosemite is amazing and the western US a remarkable place but you'd need a car which would chew up most of your budget immediately.

Peru is great lots to see terrific trekking I'd go back but I'd spend some time learning spanish first/during.

If its end of august I'd go to India after a couple of weeks enjoying the UK summer. £4k will go further there than allmost anywhere else. Try not to be put off by the plumbing.
OP Big Steve 06 Jun 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

4k is for both of us, although I do have more if needed. India could be good, I hadn't thought of that. Someone else has suggested we stay in Europe and buy the month long euro train tickets, then visit loads of places for a few days in each.
 alasdair19 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Big Steve:

October and november is prime trekking season india. the mountains are as impressive as nepal but swapping the gap year fo;lk for an indian middle class who bizarrely enougth speak english! there is an excellent guide to trekking in the garwal and kumoan several of the itineries have tea houses so you can rock up with zero pre planning and just pay £10 or so dinner bandb. Also various trekks from high hindu pilgrimage sites get you into very high terrain on buses.

It would be great to support the nepali recovery too though no idea how their tourism infrastructure will be then.

Have fun

You'll blow most of 4k in a month interailing ireckon and all the places you'll visit are city breakable..
Jim C 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Big Steve:

> I'm being made redundant in August, and as I have a little money stashed away.
I am thinking of going on a short traveling trip, maybe 3-4 months, although could be shorter or longer.

I'd love to go climbing, but my wife is not a climber so I'm after some ideas where we could go.....I want beautiful scenery, history, maybe the occasional beach.

A world tour of Scotland ?

dingbat46 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Big Steve:

Buy a van, convert it, then travel wherever and whenever
 fmck 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Big Steve:

I would love the chance to walk the pacific coast trail. It would be cheap and an experience of a life time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...