UKC

Road bike multi tool

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AlisonSmiles 06 Jun 2015
It has come to my attention that the chain tool bit of my road bike's saddle pack multi tool is not fit for purpose. Fortunately I was in the bike cave with access to proper functional chain tools but kind of wonder what would have happened if I was out on the road when random chain related disaster befell.

So, tell me about your chain tools. It would be good to have one which either folds up in some way or is part of a multi tool so I don't have to buy a bigger saddle pack ... recommendations?
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

Yes they can be a pain when combined with a multi tool. I find it much easier if I have to do any roadside jobs carrying a multi tool and separate small chain breaker. I have a park one which works well.

The CT 5 weighs 77g - if you can afford to carry that much! I have the park CT 6.3 and I've used it quite a bit mainly on other peoples broken chains!
 gethin_allen 06 Jun 2015

The one on my crank brothers multi tool is quite good. Although it's a bit beefy as it has millions of Allen keys on it, most of which are never used.
 neuromancer 06 Jun 2015

You might find it more efficient to carry a small multi tool e.g a lifeline 7 in 1 and then a separate light chain breaker? That way you can always share a chain breaker with your riding partner and I find them easier to use and lighter?

Park chaintool. Brilliant. Park hex key set and leatherman crunch! Solve any problem in the world.
 Brass Nipples 07 Jun 2015

As others have said, get a separate chain breaker and a small 2-6mm hex multi tool
 LastBoyScout 08 Jun 2015

I carry either a Topeak mini 18+, which has a built-in chain tool that seems to work:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-mini-18-plus-18-function-multi-tool/

or a Park Tools CT-5 in a pouch with a couple of Hex keys and my gas pump, which definitely works and is pretty small:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tools-chain-brute-chain-tool/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...