UKC

someone here will know...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chris687 06 Jun 2015
How safe is ebay for buying a vehicle? I may buy from someone using pay pal but I've never used it before. The seller has said that it comes with a 7 day return policy the same as normal, smaller items and so I could return it and be refunded if not happy. They would be delivering the van too me in the first instance, which sounds lovely but being a life long cynic; I don't like not knowing where this person lives.

Anyone here got any thoughts?
 Andy Morley 06 Jun 2015
In reply to chris687:

If it's been nicked, the police can take it away from you and you won't see a penny of what you've paid for it.
 Rick Graham 06 Jun 2015
In reply to chris687:
I have sourced and bought several cars on ebay, no problems whatsoever but

Do not pay for the vehicle until you have seen it at the owners property and check the address is genuine to the logbook.

Treat the bid/ buy it now price as a maximum and be prepared to walk away if you have any doubts.

Getting an RAC / AA vehicle checkover and credit check is problematical, I am prepared to take the risk after sounding out the owner and the vehicle.

A newer hassle is the latest SORN/tax and insurance rules, check these out before you drive.

Only buy vehicles with two sets of keys.

Re reading your post, perhaps best if you did not use ebay for getting a van/car.
Post edited at 17:57
 Rick Graham 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Andy Morley:

> If it's been nicked, the police can take it away from you and you won't see a penny of what you've paid for it.

True.
 Queenie 06 Jun 2015
In reply to chris687:

It's best to be careful as there are so many scammers. Why are they happy to deliver at their own cost rather than you collecting? I'd ask to view the vehicle prior to bidding and ask about paying upon collection. They'd avoid hefty Paypal fees that way and most people want to do that although it would be sold as seen. What about their seller feedback? Check it well.
OP chris687 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Andy Morley:

Thanks, I used a Vehicle check and it doesn't have any hidden background. Stolen, Written off, Wanted for Questioning etc.
OP chris687 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Rick Graham:

> Do not pay for the vehicle until you have seen it at the owners property and check the address is genuine to the logbook.

> A newer hassle is the latest SORN/tax and insurance rules, check these out before you drive.

Good Advice, Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...