UKC

Lac Blanc Hut, Chamonix - Route Conditions in early July

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Giles Davis 08 Jun 2015
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone would know how much / if any snow hangs around on the path / approach to the Lac Blanc hut around early July. I know, conditions can be dependent on weather! But I'm just wondering if it's common for there to still be snow there or not as I'd like to walk up there with my family but don't want the hassle of taking B3's, Crampons and Axes for us all.

Alternatively could anyone recommend a Chamonix Valley area hut that would definitely not require crampons / axe in the 2-4hr walk range from the valley?

Cheers
Giles
 Doug 08 Jun 2015
In reply to Giles Davis:

guess it depends on the year but this suggests its fine at the moment

http://www.chamonix.com/webcam-chamonix-la-flegere,141,fr.html
OP Giles Davis 08 Jun 2015
In reply to Doug:

Thanks Doug
 Bob Aitken 08 Jun 2015
In reply to Giles Davis:

My experience over the years on 2/3 wanders along the balcon from the Col de Montets during June is that you may get odd low-gradient remnant snow patches, especially around the Lac Blanc itself, but nothing that would require an axe let alone crampons. And that webcam view looks pretty reassuring.

Another very pleasant walk, from Vallorcine, is up the Berard glen to the Refuge de la Pierre a Berard. Superb river and forest scenery with rocky peaks above. Can't compete with the fantastic open mountain views of the Lac Blanc, but is a nice contract/complement to that walk, and worth doing if there's murk on the high tops.
OP Giles Davis 09 Jun 2015
In reply to Bob Aitken:

Thanks Bob, the Vallorcine walk and hut sounds great. I'll give it a go as well hopefully.

Cheers
Giles
 Jack Geldard 09 Jun 2015
In reply to Giles Davis:

Hi Giles,

You will be able to walk to the Lac Blanc hut in July without crampons and axes, there won't be any snow.

The Flegére lift will also be open at that time should you wish to take it and reduce the walking with the kids!

Have a good trip!

Cheers,

Jack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...