UKC

Feet Warmers - High Altitude Climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Summithunter 09 Jun 2015
Hello Everyone,
I am wondering if anyone has used feet warmers before in high altitude climbing and would be able to share their review or suggest a product which I can purchase.
In my previous climb in Bolivia my feet started feeling numb and had problems during the climb, I am visting Nepal this September and looking to purchase a feet warmers which could be of assistance.
Thanks everyone in advance.
 radson 09 Jun 2015
In reply to Summithunter:

Better boots? Some pretty amazing footwear out there now. What are you climbing in?

I used them skiing on shishapangma - they're fantastic. i just had them on a low setting so the battery lasted.
 Jack Geldard 09 Jun 2015

Hi, I have some heated socks by Lenz.

I prefer them to heated footbeds, as they are more robust and you don't have to switch footbeds between different boots.

Cheers,

Jack

Summithunter 10 Jun 2015
In reply to radson:

As of now i dont own any mountaineering boots but looking to purchase La Sportiva Spantik soon . I have always rented my boots during my climb in Nepal, Peru and Bolivia and to be honest at times they were not great and i dint feel warm enough .

To be on the safer side i thought i would purchase electric/ battery feet warmers in market which can be used as a sole inside boots ? Any idea about them ?
screeweasel 21 Jun 2015

I use Spantix as well - great boot. I use an insulated gaiter in very cold conditions (www.40below.com) mainly because i've got awful circulation and have had limited success with several heating systems. I also use smatwool mountaineering socks - awesome!

good luck with warm feet!
 steveej 22 Jun 2015

What happens when the batteries run out. Ok if your doing day routes and are back at the valley or hut but not on expedition.

You will then need a solar panel.
 pass and peak 22 Jun 2015

When you say high altitude what height you talking about? Spantics are about the best you can get up to 7500m in my opinion, combined with good socks and proper acclimatization you shouldn't need anything else! Never tried or spoken to people who have used electric socks etc, so cannot really comment, just wonder how much extra weight that would be in terms of battery's and the kit, remember at altitude every gram makes a difference. A lot of people get cold simply because they run out of energy humping around the likes of a huge SLR with spare battery's etc, half their summit kit must be electronics. Best thing to keep you warm after proper acclimatization is a good breakfast and a flask of tea, at least they get lighter as the day goes on!
 garwhal 24 Jun 2015

Summithunter, what exact peak are you climbing so I can give you a good recommendation?
LakeDistrictMountaineer 25 Jun 2015

Spantiks are a good choice but also take a look at the Boreal G1 Lites.

These will easily go to 7000m and are a bit better to walk in than the Spantiks and have a better lacing system.

Ad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...