UKC

MCC vs Awesome Walls Stockport for bouldering?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Scarab9 09 Jun 2015
Not been to either for a while but I'm taking a friend (who's been once maybe twice) along tonight to one of these. Just wondering which is best for bouldering these days as I think we'll mostly do that before I let her have a bit of time on the rope while I belay (going to be a regular thing so I'll teach her to belay another night).

Low grades particularly as she's a newbie and I'm currently unfit.

ta
 galpinos 09 Jun 2015
In reply to Scarab9:

MCC is pretty poor for bouldering so I'd say Stockport (it's where I go).
eivrol 09 Jun 2015
In reply to Scarab9:

another 1 for Stockport or Rock Over
OP Scarab9 09 Jun 2015
In reply to eivrol:

admittedly I've only been a couple of times and it was years ago, but while I liked the layout of Rockover, the holds were so filthy I couldn't distinguish between obviously different colours, and felt disgusting when I left. Has it improved?
 galpinos 09 Jun 2015
In reply to Scarab9:

No!

My summary (for bouldering):

Rockover - promises so much and fails do deliver, poor setting, old dirty holds, the fact everything feels half finshed and not thought through. The comp wall was good (but has been changed since my last visit) as were a couple of others b ut mostlky a bit uninspiring.

MCC - Very small, cramped bouldering but the setting used to be good. This had apparently gone downhill. Leading used to be good but the setting has also been questioned recently.

Awesome - Not massive, but well(ish) laid out, consitently well set if sometimes a little same-y problems and a nice atmosphere. Routes are good (IMO) but I admit Ispend most of my time in the bouldering room. I'll be there tonight.....

None are up there to compare with the new centres but the new Depot in Trafford will no doubt knock the socks of the current incumbents.
 Andy Hardy 09 Jun 2015
In reply to Scarab9:

As a left field suggestion what about Rope Race? Bound to be quiet ...
OP Scarab9 09 Jun 2015
In reply to Scarab9:

cool cheers mate. Awesome Walls it is. (I'm usually happy to trek over somewhere different but a bit tight tonight).

If you see a 6'6" long haired muppet complaining his hands hurt after 20 mins that's me :-p
(seriously! always happens when I've not been indoors for a while. Outdoor fine, plastic ouchy)
eivrol 09 Jun 2015
In reply to Scarab9:

I think it did improve a lot since last year, I didnt like it too much but used to go for a change. now they reset it a more often, the circuits grades are one colour and the problems are interesting, some you can compare to short routes. I would defo recomend it (y)
OP Scarab9 09 Jun 2015
In reply to eivrol:

> I think it did improve a lot since last year, I didnt like it too much but used to go for a change. now they reset it a more often, the circuits grades are one colour and the problems are interesting, some you can compare to short routes. I would defo recomend it (y)

might try it on my own sometimes then. cheers
eivrol 09 Jun 2015
In reply to Scarab9:

they are going to have 2 long haired complaining muppets tonight then, lol
 Tyler 09 Jun 2015
In reply to Scarab9:

Of those two I'd say Stockport but Rockover is better than both
In reply to Scarab9:

Personally find AWS to be a bit cramped, dusty and hot. Good for low level routes though and nice staff.

MCC is grand for knocking out a lot of top rope 6a but the boulder can be little more than a warm up.

Not been to Rockover for a while, not a keen on the whole finger print thing, nice a light but agree it can feel like some routes just fade away half 2 at up.

Rope Race is quiet but has plenty of bouldering to have a cracking at.

Btw I am a low level climber and have just been touring them all getting the other half interested. She preferred RR for boulder, and MCC for routes. But did like AWS!
OP Scarab9 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Scarab9:

We went AWS and I found the bouldering a bit limited, especially as it was very busy, so even getting near the low level stuff was a challenge, and it was off putting for my friend. I also belayed her on some toprope routes which she loved, and definitely like AWS for their approachable routes of all levels (nice friendly slabs and low stuff, not just vertical and overhangs like some places).

MCC I haven't been to for ages but will likely check three out next week with her as while there's not tons of bouldering I used to find it had more to go at at the low level if you swapped rooms a bit.

Rope Race I've been to once and was pretty impressed but it was a long time ago and it's a bit far out for us of an evening, but I might make the journey and see some time soon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...