UKC

Midge Free

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TClimb 09 Jun 2015

Quick query

Planning a climb tomorrow after work outside Sheffield. It looks like it will be sunny and not very windy so Stanage is out it seems (I learned my lesson last year!). Where would people recommend near by to avoid the blighters?! Millstone looks beyond me and Lawrencefield seems a bit thin in the HVD / S routes Im after but seems to be the best bet...
Post edited at 22:05
 deacondeacon 09 Jun 2015
In reply to TClimb:

Stoney.
 deacondeacon 09 Jun 2015
In reply to TClimb:

Sorry, stoney isn't too good at those grades. Bamford may be a good bet as it gets any breeze going and the top tier is pretty good at those grades
 CurlyStevo 09 Jun 2015
In reply to deacondeacon:

Are they getting to be an issue now on the grit. They were out on Kyloe in manageable numbers Sunday night from about 8ish or so.
OP TClimb 09 Jun 2015

I was looking at that, Ive not been there, Ill suggest it to my partner. Hoping to lead my first S soon. Cheers for taking the time to reply
OP TClimb 09 Jun 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

From about this time last year they were a prob when little wind around so Im not risking it!
 Jon Stewart 09 Jun 2015
In reply to TClimb:

Stay away from those grit quarries!

On an evening when Stanage is out, so is the rest of the grit really since Stanage faces the same way as everything else and is higher. Higger Tor has a reputation for catching any breeze going, and the guidebook says that Amber Valley is unmidgy (too far?); but really you have a choice between midges and limestone.
 deacondeacon 10 Jun 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> Are they getting to be an issue now on the grit

Froggatt last night there was no wind at all and I got a few bites when belaying at the bottom of the crag, they're still not out in force yet but they're coming.

Simon Caldwell 10 Jun 2015

Stoney has enough at those grades for an evening or two, some routes have been cleaned over the last few years.

But I'd expect that the midges at Stanage etc should still be bearable, they're very late this year due to the long cold Spring. I hope so anyway, as we're heading for Wharncliff!
In reply to TClimb:

Climbed all day on Wednesday at Stanage, no midges yet............................
 The Reaper 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Christheclimber:

Yarncliffe and Lawrencefield were (surprisingly) completely midge free this evening. Think it still too cool for them. Ants were out in force though.
 Simon Caldwell 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Christheclimber:

They started appearing at Wharncliffe in the wooded bit when the sun disappeared, but that was hardly unexpected. We decamped to a more open spot and it stayed more-or-less clear.
In reply to The Reaper:

No midges on Rivelin today. It was hot and sweaty, probably not a good choice of crag but had a great day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...