UKC

Titanium fever

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Morning ,

I think I've developed an addiction to titanium cookware.
Is this normal ?

Got the chainset from Alpkit and I'm now hooked on the look feel and lightness of this stuff.
Ordered the snapwire cutlery, and now I'm searching for yet more shiny shiny goodies.

Please help me beat this terrible disease.

OM
Post edited at 09:48
 tjin 10 Jun 2015
In reply to Onion magnet:
No worries, your wallet will stop you... eventually.

Stop shopping, start climbing.

Edit: forgot to mention. Try to actually cook in (not just water). Then try to clean it. Then tell us if you still feel like buying more...
Post edited at 11:12
 d_b 10 Jun 2015

learn a bit more more about titanium and you will save yourself by recognising that the welds on most of this stuff is crap and refusing to buy it. At this point "acceptable" titanium cookware will cost about as much as the GDP of a small country and you will be saved.
In reply to davidbeynon:

> learn a bit more more about titanium and you will save yourself by recognising that the welds on most of this stuff is crap and refusing to buy it. At this point "acceptable" titanium cookware will cost about as much as the GDP of a small country and you will be saved.

Are you saying the Alpkit stuff is crap then ?

OM
In reply to tjin:

> No worries, your wallet will stop you... eventually.

> Stop shopping, start climbing.

I'm at work so can't do that

> Edit: forgot to mention. Try to actually cook in (not just water). Then try to clean it. Then tell us if you still feel like buying more...

I've not actually gone for the pots and pans yet as they aren't non stick and I'm suspicious of things like that. I've just the cutlery so far and will bare what your saying in mind and not buy the cookware itself.

Thanks

OM
 d_b 10 Jun 2015

Well you wouldn't trust most consumer grade welds to hold your brand new fighter jet or space capsule together. Whether or not you think that effects their utility as cookware depends on how far gone your Ti obsession is.
In reply to davidbeynon:

> Well you wouldn't trust most consumer grade welds to hold your brand new fighter jet or space capsule together. Whether or not you think that effects their utility as cookware depends on how far gone your Ti obsession is.

Ha ha ,

I have neither fighter jets or space capsules in my cooking set.

Although those afterburners and thrusters might make light work of cooking my lunch.
Not sure about where to buy the fuel from though.

OM
 timmeehhhh 10 Jun 2015
This might help:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/folding-spoon-hiking-and-camping-pots-and-cutler...

Cost increase when buying alpkit foldable spoon: 100%
Weight decrease when buying alpkit foldable spoon: 9.5%
Cost of weight savings per gram: 1 pound

I bet you can not feel the difference in weight between the two!

To put things in perspective:
If you had to choose between a 2.1 kg / 300 quid tent, or a similar 1.9 kg / 600 quid tent, what would it be?
Post edited at 14:56
 SenzuBean 10 Jun 2015
In reply to timmeehhhh:
If you saved 10% weight on everything you owned, then yes - you would feel the difference

Most ULers do begin with the tent, the pack and the sleeping bag - where the investment in weight saving makes the most sense. Also you can quite easily save 50% weight from a tent - for example I use a tent similar to this one (older model I think): http://www.tarptent.com/momentdw.html
0.96kg, and I paid about £225 delivered - so you have saved yourself £75 and cut off a kg!
Post edited at 15:06
In reply to timmeehhhh:

> Cost increase when buying alpkit foldable spoon: 100%

> Weight decrease when buying alpkit foldable spoon: 9.5%

> Cost of weight savings per gram: 1 pound

> I bet you can not feel the difference in weight between the two!

> To put things in perspective:

> If you had to choose between a 2.1 kg / 200 quid tent, or a similar 1.9 kg / 400 quid tent, what would it be?

Well if money isn't an issue I could use the other 0.2 kg on food or water.

Thanks for that but I can "feel the difference" in my mind (and pocket)

Like I said it's a terrible disease with real doctors and everything..

ha ha

OM
 d_b 10 Jun 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

Nah. I know how this works. You just make up the difference with more light weight gear until you can't walk again.
 d_b 10 Jun 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

I thought that was a given.
 SenzuBean 10 Jun 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

Sorry I thought you were posting a clever reply - I'll delete my snarky post.
cb294 10 Jun 2015
In reply to timmeehhhh:

It will ALWAYS be the more expensive tent, regardless of weight!

It will have some fancy sounding feature that clearly justifies the extra spending (at least when you are a proper gear whore like me.....)

CB
 timmeehhhh 10 Jun 2015

Or instead you could have a 400 gr wee, save more weight, and spend 200 quid on fuel to get you to the alps
 sheep 10 Jun 2015
In reply to timmeehhhh:

> Or instead you could have a 400 gr wee, save more weight, and spend 200 quid on fuel to get you to the alps

That's how i see it.

Have a poo and blow your nose before you set off.

Weight saved!
 Siward 10 Jun 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

I can't see any welds on my pots, except for the bracket for the wire handles. They appear to be in one piece like most pots. The handles ain't gonna come off any time soon.
 neuromancer 10 Jun 2015
In reply to timmeehhhh:

As a cyclist 1g per pound is about right.
In reply to Siward:

> I can't see any welds on my pots, except for the bracket for the wire handles. They appear to be in one piece like most pots. The handles ain't gonna come off any time soon.

Good to hear considering the alarmists post about welds.
It's cookware not aeroplanes.
Now if I had to fly to Australia on my folding knife I might take it more seriously.

OM

Metal cooking implements and non-stick pans? No thanks...
In reply to captain paranoia:

Ha ha ha.
Go back to your tree house . You hippy !

Jokingly of course.

OM

You misunderstand... Non-stick coatings are fragile (well, PTFE-based ones are). Metal cutlery quickly damages the coating. Ti cutlery has quite sharp edges, making the situation worse. Use wooden, plastic or preferably silicone cutlery with PTFE coated pans.

Ti pans are no lighter than an aluminium equivalent, but they're much worse to cook with. I have a titan kettle, an Alpkit mytipot and mytimug, a trangia 27ti pot and a 450ml Ti mug. If I want to cook, I'll take Al pans...

> You misunderstand... Non-stick coatings are fragile (well, PTFE-based ones are). Metal cutlery quickly damages the coating. Ti cutlery has quite sharp edges, making the situation worse. Use wooden, plastic or preferably silicone cutlery with PTFE coated pans.

> Ti pans are no lighter than an aluminium equivalent, but they're much worse to cook with. I have a titan kettle, an Alpkit mytipot and mytimug, a trangia 27ti pot and a 450ml Ti mug. If I want to cook, I'll take Al pans...

I was joking.
This isnt my first BBQ . (forgive the analogy)
I have lots of pots , pans, cutlery and stoves. I'm a gear freak.
Just my first titanium set. I never cook with sharp edges for fear of damaging my gear which has do far lasted about 10 years.
Exactly why I don't buy aluminium sets .

OM

Guy Hurst 10 Jun 2015

If you want to wean yourself off the addiction to Alpkit ti gear, get some Evernew pots.
 Timmd 10 Jun 2015
Titanium has a bigger carbon footprint than aluminium, which has a bigger footprint than steel.

Buying titanium makes you a...PLANET KILLER!

Booo hiiissss
Post edited at 23:41
 Siward 11 Jun 2015

I only use titanium pans for basic cooking- heating stuff up rather than proper cuisine. The pans are ideal for that sort of backpacking use. The non stick (lids only) claims to be some sort of ceramic wizardry which is lasting well.

For cooking meals from scratch I use my old MSR stainless steel pots which are tough as old boots.
 d_b 12 Jun 2015

> Good to hear considering the alarmists post about welds.

> It's cookware not aeroplanes.

> Now if I had to fly to Australia on my folding knife I might take it more seriously.

Are you honestly saying you have never been in the position where you had to build a powered hang glider from your cooking kit and tent? I thought that was an almost inevitable scenario when backpacking.
In reply to timmeehhhh:

> This might help:

> Cost increase when buying alpkit foldable spoon: 100%

> Weight decrease when buying alpkit foldable spoon: 9.5%

> Cost of weight savings per gram: 1 pound

> I bet you can not feel the difference in weight between the two!

> To put things in perspective:

> If you had to choose between a 2.1 kg / 300 quid tent, or a similar 1.9 kg / 600 quid tent, what would it be?

If that logic worked bike manufacturers would be out of Business.
In reply to sheep:

> That's how i see it.

> Have a poo and blow your nose before you set off.

> Weight saved!

Sorry that argument never works as you'd do that as well anyway.
In reply to neuromancer:

> As a cyclist 1g per pound is about right.

Unless buying Durace...
 james Campbell 12 Jun 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

> learn a bit more more about titanium and you will save yourself by recognising that the welds on most of this stuff is crap and refusing to buy it. At this point "acceptable" titanium cookware will cost about as much as the GDP of a small country and you will be saved.

I doubt you know enough about welding to actually qualify this, sounds like hot air.

Just because I'm so sad.

The weight figures for the snap wires are as follows

Spoon = 17.64g
Knife = 13.91g
Fork = 13.04g

OM
 d_b 12 Jun 2015
In reply to James Campbell:
I seem to have annoyed a lot of people with that comment. I hoped I wouldn't have to point out that I wasn't actually being entirely serious, but this /is/ UKC I suppose.

I am truly impressed that you are measuring to the hundredth of a gram. Do you file bits off your cookware to bring the weight down?
Post edited at 11:14
In reply to davidbeynon:

> I seem to have annoyed a lot of people with that comment. I hoped I wouldn't have to point out that I wasn't actually being entirely serious, but this /is/ UKC I suppose.

I wouldn't worry about it , I'm just glad the build quality is good.

> In reply to Onion magnet:

> I am truly impressed that you are measuring to the hundredth of a gram. Do you file bits off your cookware to bring the weight down?

Ha ha ha,
Not yet.

Don't be giving me ideas now

OM

d_b 12 Jun 2015

I do know someone who used to use a toothbrush with the handle cut off to save weight. Clean teeth are worth this many grams and no more!

llechwedd 12 Jun 2015

I think it works out even cheaper to shelve plans to buy any more Ti, and cut out cooking altogether.

Less weight means you'll move even faster, until hypoglycaemic.

Then - just think how much money you'll have saved- it's just the cost of a mobile 'phone call and, once the MRT have got you back to the road, a small donation to them.
 Siward 12 Jun 2015
In reply to llechwedd:
This true, there is always the roasted soya bean brigade shunning hot meals. The thing is one would have to be a very odd soul to be content sitting in the tent of an evening chewing some beans...

Oh I've gone and done it again !

The fever seems to be amplified by the heatwave were suffering.

It's a mug this time . My poor wallet

OM
 mp3ferret 01 Jul 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

> I do know someone who used to use a toothbrush with the handle cut off to save weight. Clean teeth are worth this many grams and no more!

My 'travel' toothbrush has only half a handle - but then I am sad. I also take half a scourer to clean my pans.

The Potato 01 Jul 2015

Save even more weight by eating with your hands/fingers, soup, no problem just drink it out the tin.
Save weight on toilet paper by using moss / sheep.
Save more weight by not taking a toothbrush, you can easily go a day or two without brushing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...