UKC

Snow Line in Southern Cairngorms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thomasmcalonan 11 Jun 2015
Hello.

Planning a trip into the Southern Cairngorms with a reasonably high bivvy both nights this weekend.

Any idea how high the snow line is in the area? I'm planning on taking an axe and crampons as I'll be on some steep(ish) northern facing ridges.

Regards

Thomas
 kwoods 11 Jun 2015
In reply to thomasmcalonan:

The snow patches in the area around Glen Shee are confined to snow banks around the corrie rims and pretty much entirely avoidable. Any patches will be really soft most likely after this weather! Same goes for the Cairngorms, they're looking pretty summery now.
 Scomuir 11 Jun 2015

There's only the odd patch high up, and any depth is only concentrated on sheltered E / NE facing slopes/gullies. I very much doubt you should bother with axe and crampons.

Where are you actually planning to go?
In reply to Scomuir:

Probably bike in from Straloch and do the hills NW of Glenshee. Not decided just where to bivvy just yet, probably see how the weather pans out. There's plenty snow looking into the Gorms from the north, I'll be chuffed if I can ditch the axe & crampons and go lighter.

Please don't jinx it by using the word that indicates the season after spring, I've been looking for it for an eternity!
 Scomuir 11 Jun 2015

It was t-shirt and trainers last night on Lochnagar, and only the odd patch of snow in view. Ridges are completely free of snow, but gullies still have some (Left Hand branch of Black Spout is complete). You'd have to go out of your way find yourself on some snow. That said, it's looking a bit chilly for the weekend...
 Jim Braid 11 Jun 2015

No need for axe and crampons. I was on An Sgarsoch yesterday and Iutharn Mor etc last Thursday. While there's still big snow patches further N on Braeriach etc you'll be absolutely fine on the hills NW of Glen Shee. I can put up photos from the top of An Sgarsoch looking to Ben y Ghlo etc if that'll help.
 dek 11 Jun 2015

Having a heatwave here on the Edinburgh area, huge drop in temps forecast for the weekend though!
In reply to Jim Braid:

That'd be great Jim. I'm keen to dump the crampons & axe.

Jim Braid 11 Jun 2015

I've just uploaded three photos of Ben y Ghlo. I think they will put your mind at rest. I've other photos taken from An Sgarsoch looking both S ( Carn a Chlamain, Lawers, Schiehallion) and N (Loch Einich hills to Ben Avon) which I'm happy to upload should you want.
 barbeg 11 Jun 2015

Hi Thomas, I live and work in the Southern Cairngorms....I live just 2 minutes from Straloch....forget the axe and poons and go light...odd patch of snow left only.....bivvy bag will be fine...and have a great time!

ANdy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...