UKC

Photographing the Sun

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 11 Jun 2015
For various reasons I need to take a photograph of the sun. No, no, I'm not going to look at the sun through the view finder.

I've got a Fuji digital bridge camera and my question is whether I'm likely to damage the light sensor in the camera?

Thanks.
 planetmarshall 11 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Possibly, yes. Use an ND filter.
 d_b 11 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

When I took some pics of the eclipse I stacked a 10 stop and a 4 stop ND filter, which was about right for shooting hand held at ISO 200. I used the B+W ones, which give a slight brown cast but are otherwise very good.
 Garbhanach 12 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex: If your not going to use the viewfinder to look at the sun then you might be using live view which could cause more damage as the mirror is not protecting the sensor while you compose the pic, so might be best to have an ND fliter on the lens then compose through the viewfinder, take a test shot then change the exposue as needed by looking at the results on the back screen.

In reply to mypyrex: you will need to stack filters or you will not get a photo of the sun as your camera won't be able to stop down enough. You will end up with just a super over exposed blob. An alternative to filters is to get a welding mask lens for a few quid off eBay and gaffer tape that over your lens.

The Lemming 15 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

You could get a solar filter from Amazon for your camera.
 The Lemming 05 Jul 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

How have you got on photographing the sun?

What filter did you go for in the end?

Cheers
OP mypyrex 05 Jul 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Haven't tried it yet. The editor keeps complaining!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...