UKC

When did you last buy something that will outlive you?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MG 12 Jun 2015
I have a clock that is about 250 years old and going strong. Also assorted tables, chairs etc. that are getting on for 100 years and should be fine in another 100. None of these were particularly special when purchased - just typical.

But, if I buy a typical table or clock now, it won't most likely last more than 50 years. When did you last buy something that will outlast you? Beyond my house and maybe books, I can't think of much I have bought that will last as the above items have done. This seems wasteful to me. Should we spend more on better stuff and reduce the long term effects of consumption?
 tinytom 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

I bought a tortoise a while ago
 Tall Clare 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:
The only things that spring immediately to mind for me are wooden knitting needles and fully mechanical cameras. And books, in theory... (unless the glue degrades).

Buying to last makes a lot of sense in many ways, but it's not considered to be so great for the economy.
Post edited at 11:38
 jkarran 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

My house is probably the last thing, my lathe maybe before that.
jk
 wercat 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

I planted a tree in seventy three!
 Fredt 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

Anything made of plastic.
Ferret 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

Nappies darn it.
 gribble 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

A wonderful Wusthof chefs knife. Beautifully made and will easily outlast me. It was weird knowing that when I bought it.
 GarethSL 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

Other than the car (which providing it is constantly maintained) very little I own I would consider something that will last for a considerable amount of time. None of the furniture will, its all Ikea and is de-laminating with every clean, the clocks were f*cked long ago.

I imagine some simple things will surely survive, cutlery for example, my toolbox, the odd plate, grandad's drill etc. But generally I think most things nowadays are sold to be disposable. I think this is an utter shame! The worst culprits are in the tech industry, we all know. And often its the most expensive items that fail first!

Mother raves about how her old washing machines lasted twenty odd years with daily use, whilst now she's lucky to get 7 years or so... Same goes for most technology nowadays. Our 'new' B&O telly died long before our 40 year old toshiba... which is still used to entertain the kids at christmas with an old playstation 1!

I think I will follow this thread carefully as I will admit to being a sucker for things that simply work and keep working. Perhaps I can find some inspiration!

mypyrex 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

> I have a clock that is about 250 years old and going strong.

Interested to hear more about your clock. Is it a long case clock? who was the maker? I have a Thomas Hackney long case clock, circa 1750. The original case was destroyed about sixty years ago but I managed to acquire a replacement.

jon 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

> When did you last buy something that will outlive you?

When I bought these bloody Sportivas.
OP MG 12 Jun 2015
In reply to jon:

> When I bought these bloody Sportivas.

Good point. But also a vital one. No other mountaineering boots but La Sportivas are made big enough to fit me!
OP MG 12 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:
Yes, long case and made in Montrose, I forget the name. It does currently have a habit of donging constantly until the donging mechanism unwinds, so it is 273 o'clock then silence.
Post edited at 12:09
 kathrync 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

I just bought (or ordered - won't arrive until Nov) hawthorn hedging plants - they should probably outlive me.
 Hat Dude 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

Depressingly, as the years tick by, buying things that'll out last me ain't going to be so unusual ;-(
 Oogachooga 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

A chinese motorcycle
 mypyrex 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

Can't you just remove the "donging" weight?
 Flinticus 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

A lot of stuff could out last me, it just depends on whether I damage, wear them out or break them before I die (maybe out of a fit of jealousy as I near my end). Maybe I'll request that they all be buried with me, so I can have something to sit on in the afterlife (a chair) and drink tea from (cup).
 yorkshireman 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

I bought and planted a mini orchard of around 12 fruit trees this spring. The plum trees that surround our house were planted by our neighbour's great uncle over 100 years ago so I'm hoping they'll be around for a long time to come.
 Trangia 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

My book collections
adam11 12 Jun 2015
In reply to jkarran:

Yep, same 2 for me as well
 jon 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:
> Good point. But also a vital one. No other mountaineering boots but La Sportivas are made big enough to fit me!

Well actually I was referring to my new pair of Miuras which are being real pigs to wear in for some reason, not big boots. What size do you take anyway, Martin?
Post edited at 16:09
 The New NickB 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

I have bought new a few pieces of furniture, which appear to be of the quality of some of the other furniture I have which is 65-100+ years old. I bought an expensive mechanical watch, which if maintained should be good for a 100 years, I also have some very good quality kitchen knives and woodworking tools, which should also outlive me.

More than most maybe, but not a lot in the grand scheme of things. Hopefully the house as well, it's been fine for the last 75 years, so hopefully good for longer than I care.

I'm not really a jewellery person, but that is something that people tend to buy for the long term.
 wilkie14c 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

I bought myself a Thai bride and as she is only 23 she'll most likely outlast me
OP MG 12 Jun 2015
In reply to jon:

Size 50
 John Ww 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

My collection of Gibson, Fender, Martin and Taylor guitars - as I've got no-one to leave them to, I honestly won't know what to do with them when the time comes (I'm hoping it won't be a problem for a very long time!!).

JW
 angry pirate 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

I suspect my beghaus Vulcan will survive me.
Cheating slightly as I didn't buy them but some mates bought me a beautiful kukhri for my 30th and a nice bushcraft knife for my 40th. Both will likely end up in the hands of my grandkids (not when they are kids though ) the way they're built.
 SenzuBean 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

I bought a few bits of slate - I imagine they'll last forever, although there might be a few more pieces by then.
 Dauphin 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

The two grands worth of rocks sat on the table tapping its fingers in front of me.

D
 Timmd 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:
Metal tyre levers for my bikes, they never (ever ever) snap, and are usable for more than a lifetime if they don't get lost.

Not as exciting as an antique clock I realise....

I guess durable modern furniture can be bought if it's from places which make things properly/well.
Post edited at 21:19
 jon 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

50? You could bivvy in those!
Clauso 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

I bought a packet of condoms a while ago... The way my love life's going recently, they'll see me out.
 Tom Last 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:
Spoke shave. Absolutely brilliant tool. No reason for it to ever stop working, should outlive me as a functional (rather than just in bits) thing I'd have thought.
Post edited at 21:52
 wilkie14c 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Clauso:

Send Mrs num num a friend request mate
 PPP 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:
An USSR made camera manufactured in 1962. I was born 31 years later...
Post edited at 23:22
Zoro 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:
Ive got a lurcher that'll be bloody death of me!

Sharp 13 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

Most of my tools, kitchen knives and a lot of my furnature. I tend to buy second hand stuff as its cheaper and better quality, got a 1950s oak wardrobe for £60 got example where as the equivalent flat pack one would probably cosy double that and start falling to pieces in a few years.

Sadly most people's cars would outlive them if they wanted them to and if manufactures didn't make them so prohibitively expensive to fix, such an incredible and complex piece of technology that we dump after 10 years.
Andy Gamisou 13 Jun 2015
In reply to Sharp:

> Sadly most people's cars would outlive them if they wanted them to and if manufactures didn't make them so prohibitively expensive to fix, such an incredible and complex piece of technology that we dump after 10 years.

There's a good chance my 93 defender will outlast me.

tom84 13 Jun 2015
In reply to John Ww:

> My collection of Gibson, Fender, Martin and Taylor guitars - as I've got no-one to leave them to, I honestly won't know what to do with them when the time comes (I'm hoping it won't be a problem for a very long time!!).

> JW

hi john W, i will glady inherit these from you- pm me and ill send you my details for your will
 Rob Naylor 13 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:
> I have a clock that is about 250 years old and going strong. Also assorted tables, chairs etc. that are getting on for 100 years and should be fine in another 100. None of these were particularly special when purchased - just typical.

> But, if I buy a typical table or clock now, it won't most likely last more than 50 years. When did you last buy something that will outlast you?

A few months ago. A bespoke acoustic guitar made for me by Ian Chisholm, a luthier in Ditchling. It will definitely outlive me:

http://www.ianchisholm.co.uk/wp/the-scoop/
Post edited at 17:15
 John Ww 13 Jun 2015
In reply to tom84:

Perhaps (much) nearer the time

JW
 LeeWood 13 Jun 2015
In reply to yorkshireman:

I have the impression the OP had manufactured goods in mind, but for items which will outlive us trees get the tick. I've planted close to 500 around our 10 acre property. Manufactured goods may outlive us and bring pleasure to a future owner but trees are on display to benefit the many, if placed intelligently.
 The Potato 13 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

I reckon my dmm wallnuts will still be here after I am
 JJL 13 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:
This cheap electician's screwdriver is a distinct possibility
Post edited at 23:47
 ablackett 14 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

When I bought a pair of EB climbing shoes from needle sports a few months ago the chap serving me told me they would last a lifetime because I would never wear them! He ridiculed the non stick rubber used on the sole. They weren't so bad, but I lost them last month.
llechwedd 14 Jun 2015
In reply to LeeWood:

> I have the impression the OP had manufactured goods in mind, but for items which will outlive us trees get the tick. I've planted close to 500 around our 10 acre property. Manufactured goods may outlive us and bring pleasure to a future owner but trees are on display to benefit the many, if placed intelligently.

In order to build a house, I bought some oak trees which were planted 100 years earlier, but needed felling to maintain the woodland continuity.
The joints holding it together were to 13th century design. The only other house in this valley using similar technology was built centuries earlier, and it still stands. The woodland which provided the trees was probably the same as the one I used.
It is sobering to consider, that with the impact of climate change/tree pathogens, the oak woodland we take for granted here in Snowdonia could be gone before the timbers of this house have rotted.
 Andrew Wilson 14 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

Could have been the milk I bought yesterday.
You never know. . .

Andy
 LeeWood 14 Jun 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

I wish I could use oak with such confidence here in SW France but we have these wretched capricorn beetles which tunnel massive holes. In fact they don't get into heartwood but oak usually has generous sapwood which they turn to powder
llechwedd 14 Jun 2015
In reply to LeeWood:

> I wish I could use oak with such confidence here in SW France but we have these wretched capricorn beetles which tunnel massive holes. In fact they don't get into heartwood but oak usually has generous sapwood which they turn to powder

Strange you should say that- a few minutes before reading your post, I looked up and saw tens of powderpost beetles crawling around holes in the sapwood bits of two jowel posts. I've no experience in this, but it looks like a boron compound mixed with glycol is the way to go about treating them. I'd graded most of the timbers to achieve minimal sapwood, but the jowel posts were fashioned from the upturned trunk, with its' natural buttressing- they had some interesting and rather sensuous curves from epicormic growth which I left in situ.

Meanwhile, on the exterior, wasps are busy chewing into the sapwood ...Isn't nature wonderful?

I must say I'm glad we don't yet have Capricorn beetles in North Wales ! I've never seen one, but I believe they're akin to deathwatch beetles.
 AlisonSmiles 15 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

Ronhills. Even though you want them to give up the ghost so you can buy something which doesn't make people blanch they will never ever ever die.
Removed User 15 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

Bought a Rayburn solid fuel stove 8 years ago. It does the hot water and cooking for about 8 months of the year. Okay these things aren't bomb proof but I'm pretty sure with careful use and regular maintence it will see me out.

Clarence 15 Jun 2015
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

I once wore out a pair of Trackster Treks but only after a summer of gritstone slabs and badly rolled cigarettes. Used for actually trekking they would still be around now.
 AlisonSmiles 15 Jun 2015
In reply to Clarence:

crashed on my bike once in the damned things. Ripped leg to shreds but somehow not so much as a pull on the Rons.
 jcw 15 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:
I still laid down some 2009 claret : hopefully

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...