UKC

Ramsay Round

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bob 12 Jun 2015
For those who aren't aware Jez Bragg is attempting a fast Ramsay Round today. He started at 0300 and is now on the last section, The Mamores. He's carrying a tracker - http://maps.opentracking.co.uk/ramsey.cfm?n=2 To gain the record held by Adrian Belton he needs to complete the round before 2123 tonight, i.e. 18hrs23. It's also worth noting that Nicky Spinks' women's record of 19hrs36 is the second fastest time overall.
In reply to Bob:

And where's the finish - the last top, or back at the start?

jcm
 petestack 12 Jun 2015
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Start/finish at Glen Nevis Youth Hostel. Go Jez!
Moley 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Bob:

It's great to see Jez going well again, seemed to take him a long time to get back to form after his Te Araroa exploits.
Fingers crossed he nails this round and then we'll see him on the DB, I'm looking forward to that and it has the potential to be an interesting race this year.
OP Bob 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Moley:

Looks like he's done it! New record of 18hrs 14 mins or thereabouts.
Moley 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Bob:

Top run.
Hope he recovers fast. But if he doesn't, so what, he will enjoy his run through Wales.
OP Bob 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Moley:

Apparently this is his taper!

The tracker is reporting his time as 18hrs 10mins
 MG 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Bob:

Do you know the accuracy of the tracker? In places he is parallel to but a few metres off the marked paths at 1:25k mapping. Tracker error, reality, OS error or moved path? Anyway, well done to him.
OP Bob 12 Jun 2015
In reply to MG:

The guy to ask is James at Howfast. I know that if they go out of signal that initially they show the line between the last two points as a straight line but after a while the intermediate points get filled in. I believe that they can be set to varying logging intervals so if they are set at a minute and you are going round a bend then it may appear as if you've cut the corner as the software simply joins the logging points.

petestack 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Well done Jez!

And, Dan, you've beaten SHR to the scoop (though SHR's 'Long Distance' man has only just got back from the finish)...
In reply to petestack:

An easy scoop to make with the benefit of live tracking! I was sat at the desk with a friday evening beer - it's a hard life
 petestack 13 Jun 2015
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I was watching the tracker too, but left after the second Stob Ban because I just had to be there!
Moley 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Bob:

A new record apparently, just sub 17hrs, Jon Ascroft.
OP Bob 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Moley:

I got that in my Twitter feed yesterday and posted it on the FRA forums - seriously quick time for the type of ground you cover.
Moley 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Bob:

Your FRA post is where I just pinched it from. That time has upped the anti, must have been perfect conditions etc.
 Roadrunner5 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Bob:

Can't say I'm surprised at the new record.

I was a bit surprised with Jez's time TBH, he'd normally be a good few hours ahead of Nicky on a hilly traily ultra so someone more suited to the fells can take a lot of time of that so not surprised to see sub 17 go. Bit surprised it was Jon but expect quicker is very possible. It's not a super tough route really if you can get over the logistical/pacer issues.

I wonder if someone like Jim Mann or Adam Perry will have a go. the problem is few of the top fell runners will take a chunk out of their season and have a go at a record round but Jim and Adam seem to put these challenges and longer ultra distance stuff ahead of other races.
 DaveHK 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:
> It's not a super tough route really if you can get over the logistical/pacer issues.

Out of curiosity, what makes you say that and what was your time? I´d always assumed it was pretty tough given the number of failures etc. Or is it just that total punters are trying it?
Post edited at 13:50
 The New NickB 06 Jul 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

I'm by no means an expert, but not have good enough knowledge of the fastest route / line seems to be a common reason for failure.
 petestack 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> Bit surprised it was Jon but expect quicker is very possible. It's not a super tough route really if you can get over the logistical/pacer issues.

You do it, Iain!

In the meantime, hearty congrats to Jon and, sure, while I didn't expect Jez's record to stand for years if it picqued new interest in fast rounds from capable contenders, I'm properly surprised to see more than an hour taken off it so soon!
 Roadrunner5 06 Jul 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

I've reccied most of it so know it but have only done the paddy a few times. It's the shortest of the three but the terrain and distance plus unknown aspect puts people off..

Not sure jez did Pete I know a few who have talked of quick rounds on this because it was the softest of the big 3 by a long way in terms of how easy to obtain the record.. It's probably still easier than getting the paddy as many consider it quicker than the paddy and the record is still slower. So if you do want your hands on a big record it was the one but as I said few will prioritize these it's why so few fall.

I think Nicky's super quick time was in fact the stimulus for many to look as she really showed if you know the route and get logistics right quick times are possible.

Re how quick again I can't say I'm surprised. Jez left it quite achievable so someone would jump on it quickly. I wished I'd jumped on the paddy after Chris's matched record run as I thought that time was beatable but had other priorities, especially in the summer and then Tim took the record down further. His siabod leg was superb and took it out of reach of most of us. Even fresh I couldn't get that leg down to his yet the others were comfortable, but that's the sort of terrain Tim loved.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...