UKC

Social media protocol.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Conlon 12 Jun 2015
Our club is keen to make use of the potential of a well known social media platform. Can anyone provide or point me at a good template for a protocol for members wanting priveleged access on the site ?
 balmybaldwin 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Mike Conlon:
Look on the site... our bike club do this. no idea how... something to do with "closed groups" I suggest setting up a group and experimenting... you can always delete it

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&u...
Post edited at 23:31
In reply to Mike Conlon: Which platform? Do you mean Facebook, Instagram or Twitter - why so mysterious?

Andy Gamisou 13 Jun 2015
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Assuming you mean FB, then simply create a group and make it a 'closed' group. Add your members to the group (they need to be registered with FB (obviously)). Then only members of the group can see or create posts, events, photos, etc. You will probably want to make a small number of individuals 'admins'. I've done this for a rock climbing in north Cyprus group and it's very easy - takes about 2 mins.
 Scarab9 13 Jun 2015
In reply to Willi Crater:

You can also set it so no pays can be published without first being viewe'd and accepted by an admin member

You can have ' sticky ' posrs that always show at the top of the feed, and its worth having a warning about how meeting strangers you speak to on online should be done in a safe manner.

One important decision is what results in a ban. Someone being disruptive on the site is a yes. But what about off site? Does a real life Arguement or two mean you ban them or not?
 Ramblin dave 13 Jun 2015
In reply to Mike Conlon:
We get really good value out of our club Facebook group as a bit of a shop-window and as a good way of getting people a bit involved in the club before they've necessarily filled in the form, paid their subs and started coming on trips. Our group settings are:
* public to view
* only members can post
* members have to be approved by an admin.
But the only check we apply before adding people to the group is that they aren't blatant spambots (these are normally pretty obvious - joined Facebook two days ago, no friends, member of 578 groups, generic busty woman as a profile picture). So it's basically open to anyone who wants to join.

We use it officially to announce trips and socials, and unofficially to share pictures, see who's going to the wall tonight, say hello to beginners, sometimes to see who's interested in heading out on rock at the weekend and so on. On the other hand, if someone wants to share something less publicly and have more of an idea of who's going to get it then the club mailing list is fully members-only.

In about three and a half years we've never had anything like an issue with inappropriate or inflammatory posting. I guess we'd probably ban someone from posting if we thought they were seriously disrupting the group, maybe with a warning if we thought they weren't doing it deliberately. But to date we haven't even had anyone getting huffy.
Post edited at 11:26
OP Mike Conlon 13 Jun 2015
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Thanks for responses. I am talking Facebook, I perhaps mistakenly thought it was a no no on this site. Ramblin Dave's advice seems most relevant to what we want but again, thanks to all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...