UKC

Best website editor?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I want to create a website but have zero experience. I've heard about site like WordPress etc. What sites do people recommend?

I already have a domain name and the hosting has been taken care of.

ByEek 15 Jun 2015
In reply to Frank the Husky:
What sort of website do you want to do? Is it just going to be pictures and text in a blog style or do you need to do databasey type things?

If the former, then I am sure Wordpress will be fine. That said, I found it rather faffy and seemingly easy things like changing the styling became monstrously difficult. I found blogger.com much simpler but it is clearly not as configurable.

If you want something more complex then perhaps we are outside the realms of easily offered advice online.

Good luck!
Post edited at 12:25
KevinD 15 Jun 2015

Are you looking to write your own site from scratch or use a template/content management system (CMS).
CMS, which wordpress is an example of, is a way of separating out the content from the coding. Advantage of this is you dont really need to know much about website work, although if you wish to get into the nuts and bolts you can.
Wordpress is a pretty good example with lots of extensions available. However it is dependent on your hosting including MySQL and PHP.
In reply to dissonance: I want to use a template as I have zero knowledge of anything technical, coding etc etc.

In reply to ByEek: It'll mainly be text, with some pictures, a gallery page and a forum. No databses required.

KevinD 15 Jun 2015
> (In reply to dissonance) I want to use a template as I have zero knowledge of anything technical, coding etc etc.

What does your host offer? Generally they have a range of plug and play features such as wordpress and other CMS. Makes it a lot easier to setup.
 Dan_S 15 Jun 2015
In reply to ByEek:

> What sort of website do you want to do? Is it just going to be pictures and text in a blog style or do you need to do databasey type things?

> If the former, then I am sure Wordpress will be fine. That said, I found it rather faffy and seemingly easy things like changing the styling became monstrously difficult. I found blogger.com much simpler but it is clearly not as configurable.

I actually thought that Wordpress was ideal for that sort of thing.

You just pick the theme that you want to base everything around, then create a child theme, with a style.css file in it, and put all the changes to the styling in that file. True it's not WYSIWIG, but there's enough guidance out there to get you started.

planetmarshall 15 Jun 2015

> I want to use a template as I have zero knowledge of anything technical, coding etc etc.

Simple answer - Use Wordpress.

Slightly longer answer - Use Wordpress with a 'Responsive' theme that adjusts the display depending on the device you're using. Websites that haven't been designed with smartphones in mind are possibly the most annoying thing in the world.
In reply to planetmarshall: Thanks everyone, lots of votes for WordPress so that's where I'll go. Much obliged again.

Removed User 15 Jun 2015

Pretty sure the OP has gone away from here thinking Wordpress is a website...
 ByEek 15 Jun 2015
In reply to Removed User:

> Pretty sure the OP has gone away from here thinking Wordpress is a website...

Nah - and if he gets stuck, his owner is reasonably well connected.
In reply to Removed User:

> Pretty sure the OP has gone away from here thinking Wordpress is a website...

If I type in "wordpress.com" a website appears so I'd call that a website. I'm obviously not as well informed or knowledgeable as you which is why I'm asking for advice. If you'd chosen to make a helpful or informative comment, you'd have given everyone a chance to see just how much you know, so that's a missed opportunity innit.

KevinD 15 Jun 2015

> If I type in "wordpress.com" a website appears so I'd call that a website.

Its both a website in its own right and an application. In this context its the latter, although is really semantics.
The website is their all in one hosting solution whereas what you would be needing to get is the application to install on your own website host.

You will need to check your website host to see what you get. Since if you got a barebones package it wont allow for wordpress etc to be installed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...