UKC

Fosse Arthour Normandy Campsites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 herbe_rouge 15 Jun 2015
Hi,

Planning to take the kids to Fosse Arthour in August - can anyone confirm whether the campsite at the Auberge still exists. If not, any pointers to nearest campsites would be much appreciated.

cheers,

steve
 Toerag 16 Jun 2015
In reply to herbe_rouge:

can't help you with F.A. camping, but Clecy isn't too far away and the site there is pleasant. There will be plenty of sites in the region though.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 16 Jun 2015
In reply to herbe_rouge:

We camped at the municipal site in Dromfront last summer which is quite close (less than 10km) to Fosse Arthour,, very pleasant and pretty cheap too,

Chris
 lummox 17 Jun 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:

In my ignorance, I'd never heard of this place before. Looks like a good option with the kids. I just wondered how polished the easy routes are ?
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 17 Jun 2015
In reply to lummox:

The rock is a hard fine-grained sandstone so polish isn't really a problem. The biggest issue we had is the lack of a guidebook to the area - we found a list of routes, but the lack of any map and the fact that they don't mark the route names on the rock (very un-French) makes finding your way around quite a challenge.

Chris
 lummox 17 Jun 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Thanks for that Chris. Looks like setting up a top rope for the nipper would be easy enough and we've found some really nice camping municipal sites round there before so might be a goer.
OP herbe_rouge 17 Jun 2015
In reply to lummox:

Thanks for the tips everyone. It's ideal for the kids with plenty of top roping potential. Topo for the first rocks here:

http://grimpavranches.com/les-topos/topo-la-fosse-arthour/

I think that you can still get comprehensive topo at the tourist office in Domfront...... Will post an update on the campsite at the Auberge when we get back mid-August and upload photos.

In the meantime, (sorry, off topic) I think it would be nice to maybe have a family/kids corner/forum on UKC - there's clearly a lot of us whose kids love climbing - not sure how to go about it but will create a new post to gauge level of demand.....

thanks again,

steve
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 17 Jun 2015
In reply to herbe_rouge:

> I think that you can still get comprehensive topo at the tourist office in Domfront...... Will post an update on the campsite at the Auberge when we get back mid-August and upload photos.

We got the topo from the Tourist Info - it covers Fosse Arthour and a few other venues - but as I said earlier for that crag it is just a list of routes - no map or topo - which would be very helpful, it quite a complicated area. I also had that topo you have linked to as well - of course it has no routes names so cross referencing is tricky!

Chris

PS. It is a nice part of the world.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...