UKC

Anyone got a TomTom Cardio Runner or Multisport

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 17 Jun 2015
My Garmin 610 is starting to get glitchy and I think a new GPS is called for. Looking through what is available and sensibly priced, this seems a possible option. I've read the Rainmaker review.

Has anyone used either model? Does the optical HR work? How is it for real time on pace / distance / time? Any other thoughts?
 Reach>Talent 17 Jun 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

I'm also interested in some first hand experiences as I've read a lot of positive reviews but haven't been able to get my hands on one to try out. Most of the reviews were pretty positive about the hrm accuracy.
 steelbru 17 Jun 2015
Not used it myself, but ......How important is the HRM info to you ? Do you get cold running in winter ?

The main reason I wouldn't get a watch with an optical HR is that in winter I wear my watch over my long sleeve thermal and jacket, so I can see it whilst running - obviously the HRM won't work in this situation so would be useless to me for a few months of the year.

I check my watch quite regularly for pace/distance etc, and if wearing a HR strap for effort, so having it hidden under 1 or 2 or 3 layers is not really an option, trying to pull these back whilst wearing gloves/mitts too much of a pfaff. Others say they just have the sleeves of tops and jacket pulled/folded up the arm to finish just above the watch, but don't like the sound of that.
Post edited at 16:42
 Doghouse 17 Jun 2015

I have one but without the HRM. Big single button, easy to use and a good big display.

Have to download the data once you've stopped the watch, you can review the current session if you pause it but not once it's stopped and you can't review previous sessions on the watch.

Had mine a year or so now and the auto download of data doesn't seem to work anymore - I have to re-instal the software every time which is a bit of a PIA but overall a good simple watch for my needs - distance, speed and time is all I use it for really.
OP The New NickB 17 Jun 2015
In reply to steelbru:

I've managed without HR, but mainly because I don't like the chest strap. I do think it can be a useful training, more to monitor effort later than work in zones.

The winter issue is unlikely to be a problem.
 tk421 18 Jun 2015

Have it, really like it. Optical HR works great, used it to race a 10k recently. The gps got a bit iffy in the midst of the skyscrapers in the city so just maintained 170ish HR. Otherwise the gps works well when cycling.

Would recommend it, garmin have just released their optical hr/gps too.
 dread-i 18 Jun 2015

I have the cardio one with the bluetooth HR mon.
I really like it. I posted this the other month.

"I have a tomtom runner with HR strap. Cost less than £90 from sweatshop.
The watch has some big buttons and a big display (so handy if using gloves and if you need glasses). The best bit is the web site link up. The tomtom mysports site is good, lots of splits and interactive roll overs. (do a google images search for "tomtom mysports screen shots"). It shows you on the map, where you hit max hr/ speed/ altitude and it allows you to upload to strava or mapmyfitness etc. The HR strap is bluetooth and works with an iphone as well.
There are the usual 'fitness zones' and you can set up races over a route you do regularly. You can also change the strap colour, to match your outfit. (Because no one wants to be seen when muddy, sweaty and wet with a watch strap that clashes with ones socks. "
OP The New NickB 23 Jun 2015

I suspect the HR isn't quite there yet, 6m/m on Sunday recorded an average HR of 104, I hear even Steve Way reaches 125 at that race and he finds 6 m/m a lot easier than I do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...