UKC

British Mountain Guides' scheme - entry requirements?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paul Johnson 17 Jun 2015
Hello

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum?

I'm interested in potentially applying to the BMG training scheme. I am currently climbing and skiing at the required levels but need to build up my experience.

I've looked at the BMG website and know what the minimum requirements are, but could anyone who has been accepted onto the scheme give me an idea of their experience level at the time they were accepted? I.e. did your experience exceed the minimum requirements, and by how much if so? Should the BMG requirements be regarded as true minimums or would more realistically be expected?

Any info wuld be great.

Thank you

Paul

summo 17 Jun 2015
In reply to Paul Johnson:

minimums. Don't know of anyone who isn't climbing at very least E3 6a, grade VI mixed etc..

OP Paul Johnson 17 Jun 2015
In reply to summo:

Thanks for replying Summo - that's helpful.

What was your alpine experience like at the time? Any examples of the kind of routes you had done and number?

Also, how did you find it starting out as a newly qualified guide? Did you manage to find sufficient work to guide full time or did (do?) you needed to supplement it with other income?

Thank you

Paul
 summo 17 Jun 2015
never said I was a guide, I went the mountain instructor route. I looked at it, but didn't consider myself quite climbing hard enough, consistently enough, to enjoy the assessments etc.. plus at the time my skiing was a pants! Personally I think the grand courses in the Alps are the relatively easy bit if you have a few good seasons of reasonable weather, you can easily surpass the requirements.

I was commenting on those I know who have been through it.

I think you are approaching it from the wrong angle, for most guides they were climbing for fun, several days a week, all their holidays we climbing holidays globally... then at some point they realised they had already met a fair proportion of the requirements of the scheme, plus were climbing at a level where they already know other guides so the reference, aspirant elements all kind of fall into place. Others are already working as MIA/MIC and simply want to up their game so their can work more overseas etc...

It's a calling!!
Post edited at 19:07
 John Lyall 17 Jun 2015

Hi Paul

It is a minimium, as it says, and those who just squeeze on with the minimum are more likely to struggle. So go climbing, have fun doing that, and if you have the chance, watch Guides at work and look after less experienced people to see if it is what you want to do.
Mail me if you want to know more, or contact the BMG direct.
All the best
John
In reply to John Lyall:

Thank you John - I appreciate your reply and advice.

In reply to summo:

Thanks summo. I appreciate your replies and advice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...