UKC

First Rope - Considering Mammut Genesis?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike_eddie1 20 Jun 2015
Hi Guys,

Ive been climbing with a friend for a while, and am looking at branching out and buying my own kit.

I notice that go outdoors have some pretty good offers on ropes at the moment. There is a 60m mammut genesis for £88 and the same dry treated rope for £112. I'll mainly be climbing at swanage, or sennen/bosigran but would like to progress to some scrambling / mountaineering in the future?

Is it worth the extra for the dry treated ropes at the moment, or should I wait until winter for those? Is dry treatment a must for sea cliff climbing?

If anyone else has any suggestions for ropes then please let me know.

Cheers,

Mike
 aostaman 20 Jun 2015
In reply to Mike_eddie1: unless you're really going into mountains proper I wouldn't bother with dry treatment (I didn't). MG's were my first pair, hard wearing, easy to use. Fwiw what you need on sea cliffs is dry rock not dry ropes.

Good luck and see you @Bosi.

Johnsulli 20 Jun 2015
In reply to Mike_eddie1:

Genesis is a half rope isn't it? You'll need two to climb on (often your partner will own another).

The galaxy is mammuts workhorse single rope offering and it's pretty good. Mines dry treated but this isn't a necessity, even for sea cliffs. It handles well and seems pretty durable so far.

My mate has a genesis, if you are after a half rope then it does the job nicely and at a good price.
OP Mike_eddie1 20 Jun 2015
In reply to Mike_eddie1:

Thanks for the comments guys. Sorry I wasn't clear in my original post, I know the genesis a half rope and so would be buying two!

My friend has a single so between us that should cover most eventualities. £160 for a pair of 60m seems quite reasonable?

Thanks
 aostaman 21 Jun 2015
In reply to Mike_eddie1:
I agree, it's a good deal and does what you want

Slarti B 21 Jun 2015
In reply to Mike_eddie1:

Mike, I have had a pair of Genesis for 6 years and they have been really good, not the lightest but hard wearing and handle well.

If you are just using them for climbing and scrambling the standard ones will be fine. But I have also used mine for mountaineering, ice climbing and Scottish winter and am very pleased I got the dry treated ones.

So have a think what you might be doing over the next few years!
 saffy 21 Jun 2015
In reply to Mike_eddie1:

needle sports have the meteor for 75 quid a rope, there super dry treated. the only problem is they are 8.3 so might be a tiny bit thin for your needs.
OP Mike_eddie1 23 Jun 2015
In reply to Mike_eddie1:

Awesome thanks guys. Hoping to pick up a pair this week and then try them out at swanage at the weekend

Cheers,
Mike
 jkarran 23 Jun 2015
In reply to Mike_eddie1:

I'd get the cheaper one, ropes are a consumable and the dry treatment isn't essential for summer use.
jk
 CurlyStevo 23 Jun 2015
In reply to Mike_eddie1:

Great very hard wearing ropes, get dry treated if you intend to do mountain or winter stuff with them. It does reduce on wear too so its not money wasted if you don't.
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> Great very hard wearing ropes, get dry treated if you intend to do mountain or winter stuff with them. It does reduce on wear too so its not money wasted if you don't.

I second that.

A good set of ropes . good quality and very durable.
I used the dry treated , more expensive but an added layer of protection . Think of the puddles of water on the top of climbs in the wet too.

OM

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...