UKC

Any Diesel Experts Please?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 22 Jun 2015

I recently had two new injectors in my 2004 Freelander TD4(103000 miles) Yesterday I did a longish run of about seventy miles but, just short of the destination, it cut out on me. I got it started again after a couple of turns and got home ok.

This morning, after starting from cold it cut out again about two hundred yards down the road. Again I got it started again.

I have noticed that sometimes the idle tick over is a bit rough.

Any ideas please?
Post edited at 13:29
 NottsRich 22 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:
First thing I'd do is get it plugged in to a computer via the OBDII port and see what error codes are thrown up. That will almost certainly pinpoint the problem and save wasting time/money.

It does sound like a fuelling/injector issue. When you started it up after it cut out, did it crank for a while and then fire up, or fire up straight away?

If you're DIY minded you could do an injector leak-off test with some bottles and plastic tubing to help identify a faulty injector.

When it cut out 200 yards down the road, what happened?

Why were the injectors replaced before?
Post edited at 14:07
OP mypyrex 22 Jun 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

> First thing I'd do is get it plugged in to a computer via the OBDII port and see what error codes are thrown up. That will almost certainly pinpoint the problem and save wasting time/money.

Just had it done, chap's going to look at the results and let me know.

> It does sound like a fuelling/injector issue. When you started it up after it cut out, did it crank for a while and then fire up, or fire up straight away?
Had to crank it a couple of times

> When it cut out 200 yards down the road, what happened?

As above

> Why were the injectors replaced before?
Two injectors replaced before so I'm thinking it might be the other two.

MikeSP 22 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

What were you doing when it cut out? Speeding up? slowing down?

To me it doesn't sound like injectors, if there was a leak then the other 3 cylinders would still be okay.
I would look have a look at the MAF, crank sensor or the EGR valve.

But it depends on what fault codes are on it.
 mp3ferret 22 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

if the diagnostic comes back empty handed (why are you waiting on the results - its normally instant) - I'd check the fuel filter(s)

Marc
 ByEek 22 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Blimey - you as well. I had my injector seals done last week and now have no power whatsoever. It is like the turbo has gone. It is booked into the garage tomorrow. Fingers crossed it won't be expensive. I don't think it is turbo related thankfully because you can still hear it.
OP mypyrex 22 Jun 2015
In reply to MikeSP:

> What were you doing when it cut out? Speeding up? slowing down?

Decelerating.

> To me it doesn't sound like injectors, if there was a leak then the other 3 cylinders would still be okay.

> I would look have a look at the MAF, crank sensor or the EGR valve.

I'm really only looking at injectors as a worst case scenario

> But it depends on what fault codes are on it.
Waiting to hear

NottsRich 22 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Agreed, get the fault codes and take it from there. If one injector packed in while you were driving, it would still drive (badly). Dare I say it, I think it would still run (very badly) on two bad injectors.

Did it cut out immediately with no warning, if struggle for a few seconds first?
OP mypyrex 22 Jun 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

> Did it cut out immediately with no warning,
yes
 Ridge 22 Jun 2015
In reply to mp3ferret:

> if the diagnostic comes back empty handed (why are you waiting on the results - its normally instant) - I'd check the fuel filter(s)

> Marc

Fuel filter is usually my first thought with diesels.
 Billy the fish 22 Jun 2015
In reply to Ridge:

> Fuel filter is usually my first thought with diesels.

That would be mine too, followed by air leaking into the fuel system.
 Jacob Ram 22 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Injectors should not have worn out at 100k, sounds like another issue .
 NottsRich 23 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

If it cut out immediately then it was either suddenly starved or air (unlikely) or fuel. Fuel filter would usually make it struggle before cutting out, and run underpowered at high engine speeds when it's trying to pull a lot of fuel through a clogged up filter. Air leaking into the system would make it run underpowered, or hard to start after being left for a while. It would have to be a pretty massive air leak to stop an engine like how you describe. Sensors like cam position and EGR should not make the engine cut out - imagine the insurance claims against the manufacturers for car crashes resulting from engine cut outs!

Could be the HP fuel pump having an issue, or the electrical control of it. If the injectors have been messed with then possibly a wiring plug is loose or something. A single faulty injector shouldn't make the engine cut out instantly like that. Guessing now... Fault codes!!
 Gavin 23 Jun 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

FWIW, I think it was last week and the week before the BBC's Watchdog did a film and follow-up on diesel cars cutting out, usually when cold. The issue is, apparently, bio-diesel clogging the fuel filter.

Gavin
Tony Simpson 24 Jun 2015
In reply to mypyrex:
All injectors should be replaced at the same time as they will all be the same age and have the same usage but this is irrelevant now.

To me it does not sound as though its an injector issue but if one had failed it would cause the car the car to stall as the computer would pick up a fault and shut things down. Being able to get it back up and running smoothly again is why I don't think its an injector...

Diagnostics is the best way forward as you have done already but if no fault code can be found my guess would be to look at the electrics and the injector loom as this could have been damaged in the rebuild.

Hope you get things sorted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...