UKC

Simond Alpinism vs Alpinism Light Pants

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam Ash 22 Jun 2015
Does anyone have experience using either for summer alpine? I was wondering if the normal alpinism pants might be a bit warm, so was wondering how people have found either pair. Cheers
In reply to Sam Ash:

No experience in summer alpine, but I have both, and the alpine light are an odd beast. They are very stretchy, much more so than the mountaineering pants, and they're much less wind resistant, and a closer cut. I've worn the mountaineering trousers skiing, a lot, with various layers underneath, ranging from thinsuate liners in Dec/Jan, to merino leggings in early april. I still haven't worn the alpine lights much, preferring the Forclaz 900 (now renamed 500) Warm, which are more wind resistant.

Then there's the Simond rock pants, if you can cope with bright orange. I haven't been brave enough to try them yet... But at £35, I ought to give them a go...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/orange-rock-pants-id_8305030.html

There are plenty of comments on the mountaineering trousers over the years on UKC; have a search.
OP Sam Ash 22 Jun 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

> There are plenty of comments on the mountaineering trousers over the years on UKC; have a search.

I've had a search through, but lots of people have been using them for winter/skiing, I didn't find any mentions for summer alps, I could have missed them though. Most of the post for summer alps posts seem to recommend stuff more expensive than the Decathlon pants. Cheers for the advice though.

NottsRich 23 Jun 2015
In reply to Sam Ash:

I use the warmer version of the two for UK winter, winter alpine and skiing. I wouldn't use them in the summer alps, I'd cook! Try to find something a lighter colour than black - the sun won't boil you quite so much then.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...