UKC

Portsmouth/Ferry advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 djellworth 22 Jun 2015
Hello good folk of UKC

Inside knowledge of Portsmouth needed please:

My son and I will be taking a short cycling holiday in Brittany this year and we sail from Portsmouth. The train journey from here to there is both circuitous and expensive so we are going to drive to Portsmouth, leave the car and cycle to the ferry.

Can anyone with inside knowledge recommend a reasonably quiet and reasonably close/accessible place we could leave the car for 3-4 days for free. Thinking of a leafy suburban street within a few (2-4??) miles of the Brittany ferry terminal......

Does such a place exist?

Cheers in advance.
 Denni 22 Jun 2015
In reply to djellworth:

Hi mate,
the park and ride is just over the road from the ferry terminal and fairly cheap for a week ticket;

http://parkandride.portsmouth.gov.uk/prices.shtml

Hope this helps, Den
OP djellworth 22 Jun 2015
In reply to Denni:

cheers for this

any other suggestions?
 Alan Bates 22 Jun 2015
In reply to djellworth:
Hi,
We (me and my 2 sons), did a very similar thing last year. On the recommendation of a friend who lives in Southsea we left our car for a week on Craneswater Avenue, anywhere around canoe lake area is fine.
Quick ride down to ferry (we did Guernsey and Jersey before St Malo and D-day beaches) and car was waiting on our return, no probs.
Have a great trip.
 balmybaldwin 23 Jun 2015
In reply to djellworth:

You are welcome to leave your car in my spare space, but I am in Milford, Surrey. It's a very nice 50 mile or so ride down to Portsmouth through the Surrey hills and the South downs if you wanted to start your holiday early, or 40 mins on a direct train from the station a mile away (usually OK with bikes if not rush hour + 4-6 official spaces).
 Denni 23 Jun 2015
In reply to djellworth:

You can leave your car in our leafy street which is in a village called Stubbington.
30 minute cycle to the Gosport to Portsmouth Harbour ferry then a 15 minute ride to the ferry terminal.
Den
 Denni 23 Jun 2015
In reply to Alan Bates:

And as Alan has said, anywhere round Canoe Lake in Southsea will be fine. Loads of spaces to park cars around Southsea just check the signs as they have recently introduced new parking regs.
Den
OP djellworth 24 Jun 2015
In reply to all:

many, many thanks for all the extremely kind offers and advice

regarding the canoe lake area of Portsmouth - does any one have definitive up-to-date knowledge whether parking is still un-regulated here. I am tempted by this option but trying to avoid turning up and coming un-stuck if things have changed....

cheers and thanks again.
paulcarey 24 Jun 2015
In reply to djellworth:

I'm sure the Portsmouth council website will have details about residents parking zones and parking restrictions. Google streetview is also useful for this kind of thing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...