UKC

Cheddar Gorge South - Route Cleaning Etiquette

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ivanator 23 Jun 2015
Last weekend I squeezed in a day at Cheddar before the South shuts down for summer, one route we did was Boo, a 2 star VS on Freaky Wall. In its current state it is not really worth the stars - gear placements and holds needed excavating from the encroaching grass and Ivy. I did a bit of minor gardening en route, but a more concerted effort would resurrect a good line. What is the etiquette for this kind of thing at Cheddar South? Permitted on existing routes? Best done in winter when tourist numbers are low? Or not encouraged at all?
OP The Ivanator 24 Jun 2015
In reply to The Ivanator:

Having scoured the Martin Crocker Guide and the BMC RAD it appears that new climbs and restoration proposals need to be run past the respective landowners (Cheddar Caves and Gorge/South & National Trust/North).
What I'm not quite so clear on is whether a route that was restored during the 2003-05 Cheddar Gorge Project (such as Boo) requires further permissions for a thorough clean up or whether maintaining "restored" routes is fair game. I guess it is not a big issue to drop Cheddar Caves and Gorge a line if I find time to go and give Boo a decent once over - does anyone know if the email contact in the 2009 guide (p 11) is still the right one?
With the South side about to close until September it is unlikely that I will enact any cleaning plans soon, but would be good to know the score from anyone with up to date info.
Cheers, Ivan.
 The Pylon King 24 Jun 2015

To be honest your best bet would be to email Martin Crocker.

I can send you his email address if you wish.

Mark.
In reply to Pylon King Against Capit@lism:

Thanks Mark, that would be appreciated, emailing me through my profile should work OK.
Ivan
 The Pylon King 24 Jun 2015

did you get it ok?
In reply to Pylon King Against Capit@lism:

Yes! Thanks Mark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...