UKC

Expedition Grade Socks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 steveej 23 Jun 2015
Off to climb Climb Khan Tengri in a months time, 7,000M peak.

Need a recommendation for an Expedition grade sock. Have used Patagonia expedition socks in the past that have been excellent like thick felt that don't bag out after days of use. Shame they are no longer available.

Smartwool are terrible for bagging out on multiday routes let alone a month expedition.

Lorpen take up too much room in my phantom 6000's so even though they are supposedly the warmest socks available. I cannot wiggle my toes and so will end up with cold feet.

What are people using? |I'm pushing the limits of the 6000's so need a decent warm sock.

THanks
 Big Steve 23 Jun 2015
In reply to steveej: a chance to plug my website.......

I have some great socks available on my website, probably not warm enough for 6000m Himalayan peaks although I wore a pair on a 5000m peak last year, but great for the walk in
Www.sportssocks.co.uk
 damowilk 23 Jun 2015
In reply to steveej:

I like smart wool for shorter trips, but like you find that the looser weave causes them to get baggy easily.
I've found Icebreaker socks to be a firmer weave, and they come in a variety of thicknesses. I'm not sure how the thickest compares to Lorpens. The only proviso is I haven't bought a pair for a few years as they last so well, hopefully they're still as good.
OP steveej 24 Jun 2015
In reply to ablackett:

Only in a medium unfortunately
In reply to steveej:

Teko Expedition socks are very good. They don't bag out anywhere near as quickly as Smartwool do. I wore them on Denali without issue.

Another option which I tried a lot in Scotland last winter, but haven't used on any big cold hills, is a pair of mid weight ski socks (for length and padding) under a pair of RBH vapour barrier socks. I've found this to be a very warm and comfortable option and will use it next time I go somewhere very cold. http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Technical-Clothing/Feet/Socks/Vapour-...

I'd probably take a second pair of inner socks (and maybe some down socks) to wear in my sleeping bag whilst I dried my damp pair on my belly.

HTH
the optimist 24 Jun 2015
In reply to steveej:

used these https://www.armadillomerino.com/content/heavyweight-boot-socks

on Amadablam and found them to be excellent - along with their merino tops
can recommend the gear very highly
phill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...