UKC

Pic Posets, Pyrenees

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lesdavmor 24 Jun 2015
I wonder if anyone has climbed Pic Posets via refuge Angel Orus recently. Specifically if there is a definite need for crampons/ice axe. I just spoke to the hut warden & he says yes but I feel it is an issue of accountability.
I would appreciate any input. I will be in the Benasque area from 1 July for a few weeks
 tintinandpip 24 Jun 2015
In reply to Lesdavmor:

We went up Pic de Aneto last August and crampons were very useful. It would have been possible without but it was much better with. It was fairly cheap to hire them in Benasque ( and from the huts, hence why he is keen for you to use them ?!) so no need to fly them out with you. Also worth knowing is that the buses which serve the valley and car parks start very early in the morning, making some of the peaks possible without the need to stay in huts. We stayed at the Reclusa hut which is only a 45 minute walk from the top car park where the bus drops off at 6am ( ish) and so allowing a day ascent without the expense of staying in the hut. (If I did it again I would use the bus!!). I can give you more info about Aneto if you need it, it was a brilliant day out. ( Not been up Posets)
 emma7027 24 Jun 2015
In reply to Lesdavmor:

We were there in mid May and did the Las Espadas Traverse camping at the Lake which was snow bound and still totally frozen. We were surprised at the amount of snow there was up there. Foolishly we hadn't taken our crampons up and regretted it. We just about got away with it but had to miss out the start of the ridge as we couldn't get up the snow slope without crampons.

I'm not sure how quickly the snow melts up there I would say you would definitely need an axe and for the small amount of extra weight would say it would be daft not to take crampons.
 Jasonic 24 Jun 2015
In reply to Lesdavmor:

I climbed it a couple of years ago & even in a heatwave you needed crampons for a long couloir that is part of the route. The huts hire them- just need to leave ID.
 Alfrede 27 Jun 2015
In reply to Lesdavmor:

I climbed a 3100m peak Maupas just north of Posets last weekend. Early in the morning the snow was hard and anything remotely steep did need crampons and axe. I imagine the approach gully to Posets will still have snow and crampons would be adviseable in the morning. We descended without crampons on softer snow in the afternoon. Hut guardians usually know what they are talking about and crampons don't weigh much!
OP Lesdavmor 27 Jun 2015
In reply to Alfrede:

Thank you, that was very useful. Note that the Angel Orus guardian says they do not rent gear but I believe "Ribagorza" in Benasque does.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...