UKC

Horseshoe Quarry today

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robert-hutton 24 Jun 2015
Lots of emergency vehicles at the quarry this afternoon 26/6/16 @ 15.30 hope everything / everyone is.ok
In reply to Auz: Hopefully she recovers fully and hopefully it reinforces the point about wearing helmets.

mrteale 24 Jun 2015
In reply to robert-hutton:

I was at Horseshoe today when this happened.

We were climbing on the main wall when we heard a cry for help coming from the Toilet Sector. When we ran over we found the girl being helped on the ground by her boyfriend (I believe they'd been climbing either 'On Uranus' or 'Eau de Toilette'). Luckily the boyfriend appeared to know what he was doing (applying pressure to the wound etc.) as did another passer-by who knew first aid and came to assistance. Some bleeding from the head and confusion as to what happened but she seemed to come around by the time the first-response got there.

I don't want to give my opinion as to what exactly happened as we didn't see the incident but the first two bolts were clipped correctly and the boyfriend described that she went slightly off route, fell and that her head was dragged across the ground in a swing which would explain the bleeding from the back of the head.
Thankfully she was wearing a helmet as it could have been way, way worse.

We were talking to the couple earlier in the day and they said it was their first time outside... from my perspective it seems it could have resulted from belayer error, climber running it out/off-route, leg behind the rope or a combination but again I didn't see anything.

Regardless I hope she's doing ok, they both seemed a bit shaken...at least she got a helicopter ride on her birthday!
The response times of the services were incredible. Had someone on the scene less than 10 minutes after we rang 999 and the helicopter turned up not long after. Very impressive, will be putting some money in the donation box at the next opportunity.
 Wsdconst 24 Jun 2015
In reply to mrteale:

Firstly,glad she's got the help she needed and hope she makes a speedy recovery, secondly who's the tw*t who's disliked these posts ? What a tosser.
Andy Gamisou 24 Jun 2015
In reply to Wsdconst:

Happy to admit to disliking yours!
Andy Gamisou 24 Jun 2015
In reply to Frank the Husky:
> hopefully it reinforces the point about wearing helmets.

Oh f*ck off, condescending tw*t. No offence. OK - lots of offence.

Or to put it another way, if you are so risk adverse then maybe you should consider another hobby (maybe tiddlywinks).
Post edited at 20:50
 jimjimjim 24 Jun 2015
In reply to Willi Crater:

You sound my like my type of guy
Clauso 24 Jun 2015

> Oh f*ck off, condescending tw*t. No offence. OK - lots of offence.

Have a Horlicks and go for a nice lie down.
Andy Gamisou 24 Jun 2015
In reply to Clauso:

> Have a Horlicks and go for a nice lie down.

Good idea - except I've substituted horlicks for dry gin martinis. So expect more inebriated rantings soon. Incidentally, horlicks would not have existed were it not for 20 quid and my grandfather (true story).
Clauso 24 Jun 2015

> Or to put it another way, if you are so risk adverse then maybe you should consider another hobby (maybe tiddlywinks).

You make a good point. Just imagine if the likes of him ever got around to producing guidebooks?... Thin end of the wedge. All of our trad routes would be bolted before you knew it?
Andy Gamisou 24 Jun 2015
In reply to Clauso:

> You make a good point.

Thanks!

Hang on - you being sarky?????

mrteale 24 Jun 2015

Sounds like somebody is 'tired and emotional' as Private Eye would put it...

Myself and my climbing partner were not wearing helmets when working routes on the main wall, as for better or worse we just prefer not to when climbing single-pitch sport.

However for the couple in question it was obviously a very good idea to be wearing them and for anyone heading out on rock for the first time, don't you agree?

By the description of what the guy told me and from what I saw the helmet could have well saved her life. Sorry to hear that you feel like people are being condescending.. you must be a real dare devil, go you.
Andy Gamisou 24 Jun 2015
In reply to mrteale:

> you must be a real dare devil, go you.

Good that you recognised this!

Clauso 24 Jun 2015

I'm not being sarcastic at all. I'm with you all the way brother... That Husky bloke would probably even wear a helmet - and no doubt safety goggles too? - if he was playing tiddlywinks. Loser.
Andy Gamisou 24 Jun 2015
In reply to Clauso:
> I'm not being sarcastic at all. I'm with you all the way brother... That Husky bloke would probably even wear a helmet - and no doubt safety goggles too? - if he was playing tiddlywinks. Loser.

Meta sarcasm?

Incidentally, it's not exactly hard to find piccies of Frank the Husky doing climbing related stuff *not* wearing a lid (gasp).

Emma the Belgian Malinois.
Post edited at 21:22
 Wsdconst 24 Jun 2015

Cheers ya fat old speccy dickhead (no offence) Ps you look like peter griffin.
Clauso 24 Jun 2015

> Meta sarcasm?

Not at all... I'm willing to bet that the bloke isn't even a real husky, so the joke's probably on us anyhow?

On the other hand, if he is a real husky, then how come that he knows so much about helmets?... Come to that, how has he learned to type on the Internet?

... Frank-ly, I smell a rat.
 Bulls Crack 24 Jun 2015
In reply to mrteale:

Whatever happened this accident serves to remind us all that 'easy' sport venues in this country can be really dangerous via a combination of low angle routes with stuff to hit, loose loose rock and, well, inexperience I suppose.

Hope she recovers quickly.
 mrteale 24 Jun 2015
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Well said.

I spoke to one of the guys from Mountain Rescue and it's the third incident that's happened there this year apparently.

hopefully it reinforces the point about wearing helmets.

> Oh f*ck off, condescending tw*t. No offence. OK - lots of offence.

> Or to put it another way, if you are so risk adverse then maybe you should consider another hobby (maybe tiddlywinks).

You're a 50 year old man and this is the best contribution to the thread you can make?

The girl hit her head on the ground and the helmet took much of the impact. That possibly saved her life, or maybe kept her out of a wheelchair with a brain injury. I have no idea how my suggestion about the wearing helmets message is condescending - it seems pretty obvious.

If you’d like an example of me being condescending, I’m happy to oblige. I'm on my “lunch” break, during an ambulance night shift in Manchester so I’ll be direct because I don’t have much time. Try not to choke on your dry Martini whilst reading, big boy.

You boast about being drunk which is tragic. You call me risk averse yet I’ve soloed E5, I onsight E4 and every year I put up new routes in places like the Sinai desert, The Sudan, Ethiopia and the Philippines. You've been climbing for over 20 years, you state in your profile that “rest days are for wimps” yet your best onsight is HVS – now who’s risk averse? The absolute saddest thing about your response is that you don’t take even a second of your time to wish her a speedy recovery.

You’ve really made it in life, and your Horlicks inventing grandfather would be proud of you. Now *that’s* what I call condescending.

Toodle pip!
Clauso 25 Jun 2015
In reply to Frank the Husky:

To be fair; he didn't accuse you of being risk averse at all: he actually accused you of being risk adverse... Hope this helps?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...