UKC

Sleeping bags and water in alpine huts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 phja 24 Jun 2015
Hi,

Plan on spending time in alpine huts for the first time in July, do they provide sleeping blankets and pillows (so that just a sleeping bag liner will do) and do they fill up your water bottles for free or is it expensive bottled water?

Thanks for any help.
 mypyrex 24 Jun 2015
In reply to phja:
Certainly all the Pyrenean huts I've used provide blankets and pillows. There is usually a source of running water in or near most huts.

That said blankets in summer can be a bit warm. You might only need the bag liner and put the blanket over you if you need it.
Post edited at 20:50
 MG 24 Jun 2015
In reply to phja:

They will have blankets or even duvets. Some will have free water. At.others it will (very) expensive and there may not be another source in high huts.
 Pero 29 Jun 2015
In reply to phja:

The water in Alpine huts can be very expensive. I take purification tablets and use the running water available.

You definitely don't need a full sleeping bag but most huts require you to have your own liner.
 StuDoig 29 Jun 2015
In reply to phja:

The huts will provide blankets etc normally - just take a liner with you.

Most alpine huts I've been to will charge you for water (horrendously!!!) Covers the cost of either having water shipped in, or purifying / filtering the stuff they can pipe in naturally. Plus a good dollop of profit.....

normally there is unfiltered, untreated water in the toilets etc - you can drink this and take your chances as an alternative.

Other possibility is (if your above the snow line and there's somewhere safe that you can collect it from) is to take a light stove and melt snow.

You'll not make any friends with the custodians by dodging buying their water though!!

Cheers,

Stuart

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...