UKC

Obituaries for UKC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 veteye 25 Jun 2015
I know that there are several informal obituaries written in the forum. There are also larger pieces in the news items for famous climbers. Yet I think that it may be worth having a tiny section just for obituaries in a slightly more regular setting. If this were to be the case, then when setting up your profile, you could list a couple of friends who are registered on here who could do a quick post mortem resume if you snuff it. So there could be a small section in the profile asking for contacts for obit info. There would no doubt be grim smiley comments from some when filling in their profile so adding to the fun.
No doubt some will say this is not necessary, but I think it would be interesting to know more about people. The thread from Tall Claire about people's jobs/vocations was interesting(though I did not respond as it is presumably obvious what I do) and had a good run. I seem to remember that Tall Claire is from Huddersfield(I remember this as I am from near there originally), but did not know that she is involved in events organisation. Likewise it was interesting to know about the paramedics etc. So a succinct obituary in a slightly formal setting would be interesting to read and a small tribute to that person.

Rob
 Trangia 25 Jun 2015
In reply to krikoman:

That might be your view of yourself, but obituaries are not written for you, but for your friends and family, and even strangers who might be interested.

You'd be surprised, but out there there are very likely to be people who are interested and might not share your blinkered opinion of yourself. They might think you are even worse than you think you are!

You will never know..........
 Trangia 25 Jun 2015
In reply to veteye:

>(though I did not respond as it is presumably obvious what I do)

Let me guess, you are an aging athelete?
OP veteye 25 Jun 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Interesting!
KevinD 25 Jun 2015
In reply to Trangia:

> They might think you are even worse than you think you are!

As Alfred Nobel found out when his brother died and they printed the wrong obituary. Cue some hasty PR work and the prizes.
OP veteye 25 Jun 2015
In reply to dissonance:

So you are agreed that an obit corner would be worthwhile?
 paulh.0776 25 Jun 2015
In reply to veteye:

Just a thought......maybe announce your own sad demise, then find out what people really think of you?
 JJL 25 Jun 2015
In reply to veteye:

Why stop there?

As your proposal stands, we'd only find out all these little details about people once they've snuffed it. Surely better to write the obit now and publish it.

We could give it a name - "profile" or something?
 timjones 25 Jun 2015
In reply to veteye:

> I know that there are several informal obituaries written in the forum. There are also larger pieces in the news items for famous climbers. Yet I think that it may be worth having a tiny section just for obituaries in a slightly more regular setting. If this were to be the case, then when setting up your profile, you could list a couple of friends who are registered on here who could do a quick post mortem resume if you snuff it. So there could be a small section in the profile asking for contacts for obit info. There would no doubt be grim smiley comments from some when filling in their profile so adding to the fun.

> No doubt some will say this is not necessary, but I think it would be interesting to know more about people. The thread from Tall Claire about people's jobs/vocations was interesting(though I did not respond as it is presumably obvious what I do) and had a good run. I seem to remember that Tall Claire is from Huddersfield(I remember this as I am from near there originally), but did not know that she is involved in events organisation. Likewise it was interesting to know about the paramedics etc. So a succinct obituary in a slightly formal setting would be interesting to read and a small tribute to that person.

> Rob

Your username and profile appear to be designed to conceal your identity whilst you're alive. Why would you suddenly want us to know more about you after you're dead?
 krikoman 25 Jun 2015
In reply to veteye:

Oh!!! No I've been wiped from history!!!

Not even allowed an obit. <sad face> X2
 EddInaBox 25 Jun 2015
In reply to krikoman:

You and your potty-mouth, you've only got yourself to blame you know!
 Offwidth 25 Jun 2015
In reply to timjones:

A lot of people need some (thin) cover during their working lives or for other reasons; when you are dead none of that usually matters. I'd love to see an obituaries features section (or whatever) for all climbers (not just those on UKC). I think it would make a great addition to the site. Since Tall Clare has been singled out I hope she lives a long and happy life.
OP veteye 25 Jun 2015
In reply to JJL:

The problem with the profile is that it is a minor appraisal of self and not as other people see you. In addition it is not as pressing to fill it out or sort it(viz mine hasn't been touched for ages-oops). An obituary would give a different and hopefully objective view, whilst illustrating the quirks and characteristics of the deceased.

As regards anonymity when I joined this group I thought that you had to have something other than your name.Besides which my surname is too long..
I have put my mobile on here from time to time so I am not seeking too much obscurity.
OP veteye 25 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

I only singled TC out as her thread seemed to have a lot of interest. We all are nosey about other people..
I also hope that she does not see herself as being on a hit list, and that she live that same long and happy life.
Wiley Coyote2 25 Jun 2015
In reply to veteye:

You (or your loved ones, depending on your faith in an afterlife) might get a nasty shock from the spontaneous wave of indifference that greeted your demise. Reminds me of the old line that we would not worry what people thought about us if we realised how seldom they did.
OP veteye 25 Jun 2015
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

Yet it is the other way round. I may be quite interested in other people. This is not a question of massaging the ego.Rather to fill in other people's lack of knowledge about your background etc.
 summo 25 Jun 2015
In reply to veteye:

Maybe another thread for everyone to write their own in advance, no more than a 1000 words? Would be a curious read.

Digression-I do find the obituary section In the torygraph quite humbling, educational, inspiring..there are or were some truly great and humble people about.
OP veteye 25 Jun 2015
In reply to summo:

Or maybe you could write a self-evaluation half way through,say when you had reached 40-45years of age or so.
You could say what you viewed as your successes and good decisions versus your cock-ups and bad decisions which you would change if you could go back.
In reply to veteye:
> So a succinct obituary in a slightly formal setting would be interesting to read and a small tribute to that person.

Here lie the remains of Irving Holte
He was too damn proud to clip the bolt.

Behold the body of Augustus Scott
He should have remembered to tie his knot.
Post edited at 23:01
 summo 25 Jun 2015
In reply to veteye:

Change nothing in past, it is learning, that's part of what makes us do better in the future!
 Wicamoi 25 Jun 2015
In reply to veteye:

> Or maybe you could write a self-evaluation half way through,say when you had reached 40-45years of age or so.

> You could say what you viewed as your successes and good decisions versus your cock-ups and bad decisions which you would change if you could go back.

Hmmm. Are you sure about this idea? Legitimising a bunch of middle-aged people, mostly men, to dispense their compendium of worldly wisdom, at length, before a grateful and adoring public? Is there not, perhaps, just the tiniest risk of unleashing the most exquisitely tedious, godawful, crashing boringness in the entire history of dulldom? And this on a forum that has already become so moribund that the most appropriate obituary could be its own?

UKC will be remembered for its heyday in the mid-to-late noughties, and is survived by 15,000 usernames and a handful of increasingly desperate advertisers.
OP veteye 26 Jun 2015
In reply to Wicamoi:

Ooh Crushing for UKC.
So what replaces it? Perhaps not to go down that path on this thread.

The mid-obit idea was to say "bloody hell, wasn't I stupid fool to do" such and such which might be a laugh at the expense of the writer and hopefully head other people away from the same mistakes.
 krikoman 26 Jun 2015
In reply to EddInaBox:

> You and your potty-mouth, you've only got yourself to blame you know!

Err, kettle and pot!!

I still can't understand how you snook it past the anti-swear machine, well done if only for a while
 EddInaBox 26 Jun 2015
In reply to krikoman:

Curiously, the list of topics under "My Forums" shows I currently have two replies to posts in this thread, however only your reply immediately above this one is visible. Your unspeakably offensive obituary must still be lurking on the UKC server, just hidden from view.

Also I note one may now write wristwatch, Derwentwater and Wastwater, they used to set off the naughty filter. You still can't write tw­at though.
 Rob Naylor 27 Jun 2015
In reply to paulh.0776:

> Just a thought......maybe announce your own sad demise, then find out what people really think of you?

I remember a few years ago some callous barsteward posted here that Sutty'd died. I have to admit that I was also responsible for helping to spread the "news", before having to issue an apology for doing so. There was an "interesting" range of comments.
 marsbar 27 Jun 2015
In reply to Rob Naylor:

I'm glad I missed that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...