UKC

NEWS: 8b Alpine Rock Free Ascent in Mont Blanc Massif for Lachat and Dugit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 25 Jun 2015
Cedric Lachat on the first free ascent of Ballade au Clair de Lune - 8b, 4 kbSwiss climber Cedric Lachat and Frenchman Fabien Dugit have made the first free ascent of Ballade au Clair de Lune (380m A4 / 8b) on the South Face of the Aiguille du Fou.

The route - originally an A4 aid climb by Jean Marc Boivin, Eric Bellin, and Martial Moioli from the early 80s - tackles the wall right of the famous American Route on the stunning granite South Face of the Aiguille du Fou, Mont Blanc Massif at a scary 8b free grade...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69805

adam 24 25 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Great effort! The route and pictures look stunning, I particularly like the contrast of people doing hard rock climbing against a snowy mountain back drop.

The article was a bit confusing - the title says they freed it, but the text says they aided the hard pitches. Also says they had no portaledge, but there's one in the photos...
 alexm198 25 Jun 2015
In reply to adam 24:

Where does it say the aided the hard pitches? It makes reference to the original aid grades of the hard pitches, but I can't see it saying they actually aided them.

Yeah, weird about the portaledge - presumably the ski descent to Chamonix allowed them to slog back up with one!

Either way, insane effort - I was on the Ciseaux last week and was intrigued to see ropes and rack hanging halfway up the Fou S face. Mystery solved!
 Luke90 25 Jun 2015
In reply to alexm198:

The article says they aided some of the hard pitches to have a look at them before they actually climbed them.
 Aigen 25 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Man what a confusing article.
 Jack Geldard 25 Jun 2015
In reply to Aigen:

Hi,

Apologies for anyone who is confused. It goes like this:

They aided the route first to have a look.

They thought they would have time to top-rope it before redpointing the 'free ascent'. They didn't.

They climbed it free.

Cheers,

Jack
In reply to Aigen:

Not really. Pretty obvious in my opinion.
 Michael Gordon 25 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Sounds like a brilliant ascent!
 Aigen 25 Jun 2015
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor:
Thanks Jack.
Post edited at 22:46
 galpinos 26 Jun 2015
In reply to Michael Gordon:

And in jeans no less.
 Jack Geldard 26 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

I have to say - this is a seriously impressive piece of climbing, the route is clearly very hard and scary.

Good effort!

Jack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...