UKC

High SPF hooded top suggestions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JayPee630 25 Jun 2015
Looking for a thin hooded pull-on top with a very high SPF for wearing in the sun/hot weather - obviously! Rab Boreas looks OK and Patagonia make something for fishing.

Any other suggestions?
 AlanLittle 25 Jun 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

I found the Rab Boreas to be hot, sticky and sweaty for wearing in the heat. Might be of some use as a light soft shell for moderate weather, but completely useless for alpine south faces in summer.
OP JayPee630 25 Jun 2015
In reply to AlanLittle:

Thanks, that's useful info. I might rule that out then.
 mattrm 25 Jun 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

I'd say I found the Boreas to be the complete opposite. I wore it in Morocco for a whole week, in temperatures around the mid to high 20s. It was excellent, didn't get burnt once and it was amazingly cool when you'd got it on. When I've worn it since in the UK, it's been great as well. If you do get a bit hot, it's easy to roll up the sleeves and open the zip up.
OP JayPee630 25 Jun 2015
In reply to mattrm:

Did you wear it as a single layer? Was surprised at the other post, as it's seems a few people have worn it in hot weather for sun protection without issue. Would be good if they made a light coloured option.
 mattrm 26 Jun 2015
In reply to JayPee630:
Mine is a light grey. I wore a base layer underneath it most of the time. Either a short sleeved synthetic top or a long sleeved merino top. In the UK I wear the merino top under it all the time and it's fine. I have a mate who has one as well and he raves about his as well.

If it was properly windproof then I'd say it would be the perfect UK climbing top, but sadly, it's not.
Post edited at 09:06
OP JayPee630 26 Jun 2015
In reply to mattrm:

Yeah, although for hot weather it not being that windproof is a plus.
 shaymarriott 26 Jun 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

I have a Boreas that I've worn around SE Asia for evenings as well as in the sun. I found it ideal - kept the chill off at night and kept the sun off when necessary in the day.

Certainly didn't find it too warm, although I do have a somewhat temperamental internal thermostat...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...