UKC

Road closures for access to haute alpes, Briancon, Ecrins etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi

just to let people know that one of the tunnels on the road from Grenoble to Briancon over the col du Lautaret, it's the tunnel just below la Grave it had issues with a big crack, so they have shut it and are diverting round via gap, the work started early in the spring and they hoped to have it open by summer, they have hit a big problem and now near to do repair work to support the dam, so this will be shut for a very long time, still arguing about who will pay up

The diversion signs will take you via gap about an extra hour and a half, or you can go through the Frejus tunnel into Italy and over from there but the Frejus tunnel is a toil one and about 45 euros. Or over the col Galibier this is a long winding mountain route very nice view but long and not for any one who get travel sick?

Best thing to do is look for the signs in Granoble.

cheers Rob
If you have any questions feel free to email me
Rob@dream-trails.com
Post edited at 20:29
In reply to ecrinscollective:

Isn't the TdF going that way to get to Alpe d' Huez?
Hope it's open in time.
 mark catcher 26 Jun 2015
In reply to ecrinscollective: is there anywhere online that the current situation can be checked? Thanks for the heads up.

Hi

simon i saw your post but as it effects more than la Grave access, though id give i a different heading also the post move on so fast on here that could be missed

as for the tour not sure a few weeks ago they where sure they where going to have it open in time for the tour, but can see it happening, not with how serious it is?

this site has driving info for the area
http://www.inforoute05.fr/wir3/circulation_en.html
 doc_h 26 Jun 2015
Does anyone have a link to a decent map showing exactly which bit(s) is closed and where the diversions start/stop?

I heard about this some weeks ago but have been unable to find specific details. Mosty of the maps are far too small and rather generic - basically showing where the road is but not saying exactly where the closures start and stop. Even http://www.inforoute05.fr/wir3/circulation_en.html is so small that by the time you zoom in to see the road you have lost your general location and the the thing does an automatic refesh, zooms out and you have to start again.

Is the road closed to the west or East of La Grave? Can you still reach La Grave and Briancon from the Col du Galibier ? as usual? Every year I go to Ailefroide via the Col du G and through Briancon, often stoping for a few aclimitisation climbs in La Grave first

The map in the link above seems to show there is no way into Briancon at all. All four valley roads are shown as 'impossible'. That would mean getting to Ailefroide via Gap but it also shows all the roads going up the valley towards Vallouise and Ailefroide as 'impossible'.

So the only way into Ailfroide seems to be go through Grenoble to La Berarde, then climb over the col des Ecrins and go down the Glacier Blanc. - Could be tricky carring a car load of climbing and camping gear!
Post edited at 09:06
 SiWood 26 Jun 2015

I saw this yesterday. The Tour de France has been diverted over the Col de la Croix de Fer instead of the Galibier. It slightly cocked up our plans as we planned to stay at col de Lautaret after watching the tour stage at Alpe-d'Huez. As it is we dont fancy the 2.5 hour drive around. No doubt it is affecting tourist trade around La Grave.
 ewanjp 26 Jun 2015

Any idea how you can get into Briancon now? i was just about to book accommodation there for the first week of august!
 Simon4 26 Jun 2015
In reply to doc_h:

> Does anyone have a link to a decent map showing exactly which bit(s) is closed and where the diversions start/stop?

The blockage is at the Lac du Chambon, just as the road starts along the North side of the Lac after you cross the barrage :

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Barrage+du+Chambon/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x47...

> Is the road closed to the west or East of La Grave? Can you still reach La Grave and Briancon from the Col du Galibier ? as usual?

That should not be affected at all. It is the Grenoble -> La Grave road, immediately above Le Freney d'Osians, can't see why anything above it should be affected, certainly not down to the Col du Lautaret, which the Col du Galibier road comes down to. So the route to Briancon should be unaffected. Presumably access to La Grave from the East will be maintained to keep the village functioning, though there might be heavy vehicles going along it to try to work on the problem.

> The map in the link above seems to show there is no way into Briancon at all. All four valley roads are shown as 'impossible'. That would mean getting to Ailefroide via Gap but it also shows all the roads going up the valley towards Vallouise and Ailefroide as 'impossible'.

Sounds pretty bizarre.
 BruceM 26 Jun 2015
In reply to doc_h:
To the OP and Simon, thanks to both of you for the posts about this. Very useful. Especially this latest, as my french is very poor and now I know it is a tunnel that is the main problem for us, not a potential landslide into the lake and a tidal wave. Or maybe it is both.

Doc: my understanding is that round the top road is closed down a Lac Chambon WEST of La Grave. So you can still do your route in to La Grave and Ailefroide via the Col du G. It is only a prob getting between La Grave and Grenoble or Berade. The guys will no doubt confirm this.

Since I will also be in the region in a week, I'm interested in that Col du G route. Is it dual carriageway all the way? Just windy, slow. Or is it a bit like La Berade entrance road in parts: single and big drops? Just in case it is useful depending on where we end up.

Cheers.

Edit: Obviously I type too slow. Thanks Simon
Post edited at 10:20
 Simon4 26 Jun 2015
In reply to doc_h:

> Is the road closed to the west or East of La Grave?

West, as shown previously. I see that the Col du Galibier is currently shown as closed, but it normally is till late June anyway.

> So the only way into Ailfroide seems to be go through Grenoble to La Berarde, then climb over the col des Ecrins and go down the Glacier Blanc.

Well via Gap and Sisteron is certainly going to be kept open.

Simon4 26 Jun 2015
In reply to BruceM:

> now I know it is a tunnel that is the main problem for us, not a potential landslide into the lake and a tidal wave. Or maybe it is both.

Actually it is both.

There is a minor road round the South side of the Lac which they were intially thinking of using, but can't because of safety reasons. The tunnel (on the North side of the lake, just after you cross the barrage on the way up from Grenoble), that was initially thought to be the problem had cracks developing in its roof, they thought they could fix that. Then the entire mountainside started to move and they started to suspect that the whole thing could slip into the lake triggering a Tsunami that would drown the other side, incl any vehicules. Don't know what it would do to Le Freney d'Osians.

The Lac level has been lowered for some time now, as there seemed previously to be a problem with the barrage, so tidal wave effect should be a lot less than if it was at normal level.

> Or is it a bit like La Berade entrance road in parts: single and big drops?

Not as dramatic as the La Berade road, certainly nothing like as imposing as the road to Villard Notre Damme! But still small and difficult, also not opened till quite late in the year normally.

http://bike-oisans.com/en/cycling-oisans/oisans-mountain-passes
 Chris the Tall 26 Jun 2015
In reply to BruceM:

> To the OP and Simon, thanks to both of you for the posts about this. Very useful. Especially this latest, as my french is very poor and now I know it is a tunnel that is the main problem for us, not a potential landslide into the lake and a tidal wave. Or maybe it is both.

I wasn't aware until last year's Giro of a major disaster in Italy - can't remember the name of it now - when a landslip caused a huge wave over the dam and onto a village below, killing around 100 people. The reservoir was only half full - being filled for the first time - and the dam itself wasn't damaged.

Sorry if that make uncomfortable reading if you are living in the valley below this dam...
 BruceM 26 Jun 2015
In reply to Simon4:

Thanks very much Simon. Very useful info.
 Simon4 26 Jun 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> Sorry if that make uncomfortable reading if you are living in the valley below this dam...

There is another hillside near Grenoble that has been known as a major hazard for some time, just East of Vizille. It could potentially block the entire valley, damning the Romanche and of course blocking the road completely. This would produce a potentially huge glacier lake behind it, which could break through at an unpredictable moment and flood the city itself. Of course the access to a series of major ski-resorts would become impossible.

This is potentially a major disaster, but they are currently building a tunnel below the threatened area, one for cars and one for water. Still dangerous, but the mountain is apparently covered with sensors to detect when it might be close to blowing, so it should be possible to close the road and clear the area to stop any loss of life in the actual slide. They just hope the emergency bypasses can be completed in time.
 Dave Williams 26 Jun 2015

Having driven to the area many many times, from all directions, I wouldn't be unduly worried by this closure. Admittedly it's going to make climbing at La Berarde and Briancon-Ailefroide during the same trip (as I have in the past) more inconvenient, but hardly impossible. If I was intending to do this, I'd just steel myself for the Grenoble-Gap-Briancon drive. It can be a slow, rambling old journey at the best of times, and now likely to be even slower due to much increased traffic.

As for getting directly to Briancon from the UK, I wouldn't dream of using the Grenoble-Gap road but I'd take the Frejus tunnel (via Chambéry) and then take the road from Bardonecchia to Briancon over the Col de Montgenèvre. The section from Bardonecchia to the top of the col is much improved and widened compared to 10-15 years ago, although again I imagine it'll be much busier than normal now due to this closure.

Admittedly, the embuggeration factor for visitors from this long-term road closure is high, but it's hardly a disaster and there's no need for some of the almost hysterical earlier posts. Okay, it's extremely inconvenient, but it's nowhere near as bad as it is for the people living, working and commuting in the valley, whose lives must be in turmoil now. Many people live in La Grave and work in Le Bourg-d'Oisans, or even just use the supermarket and shops there. Spare a thought for them!
 GridNorth 26 Jun 2015

Look on the bright side, at least this will settle the arguments about which is the best Airport to fly into, Grenoble or Turin.

hi yes no need to panic there are a few options to get here, and non of them hard to follow, I just wonted to make people aware, I have meet a few people recently who just put Briancon in the sat nav set off and didn't look at the signs around Grenoble, so drove nearly all the way up to the tunnel before turning back no one wonts that at the start of their holiday.

option 1 follow the diversion signs in Grenoble will take you via Gap about an hour and a half more but very easy
option two go over the col Galibier this is a small winding road that up and over the mountain dont have exact timing but will be slow may be about the same as via gap for Briancon? ( this col is open now for summer)
option 3 go through the Frejus tunnel the quickest time to Briancon but has a 45 euro toil each direction.

all easy option and only a bit longer, the weather here is great at the moment, a great sports craging session this morning followed by a swim and sun bath at one of the lakes, its a hard life.

please continue to book you trips here its only a small detour in the scale of things and the area is open for business as usual, this closure will have a effect on tourism sadly, but it shouldn't stop you visiting this amazing adventure playground.

all road to Vallouise and higher are open as normal (bar the odd bike race one this sunday)

o yes and the best airport for the high Durance (Briancon) is Turin even when the tunnel is open

if any one has questions please get in touch

cheers
 John Sheehan 26 Jun 2015

Hi thanks for all the info and advice. Just a query about higher conditions. I'm coming out next week to do the GR54 and as you probably know there are a couple of remote high passes - 2500 - 2700m. I've already concluded that ice axe may be wise for these passes can you. Is that the case, if you know?
In reply to John Sheehan:

Hi John

I am not 100% but i would say not, we had very little snow this last winter and its been a hot year so far, feels like mid August at the moment, I have been mainly valley based cragging and kayaking, I did go up to a hut at 2500 with a group 3 weeks ago and there was almost no snow to speak of, I am working with some other local guide over the next few day, I will try and remember to ask their opinion?

cheers
 doc_h 28 Jun 2015
In reply to BruceM:

Sorry been in the Peaks for the weekend.
Re the Col du Galibier

>' Is it dual carriageway all the way? Just windy, slow. Or is it a bit like La Berade entrance road in parts: single and big drops?'

This made me laugh. There is now a short, alternating traffic, tunnel over the very highest point otherwise I was going to answer its even worse than the La Berade road USED to be before it was improved! (You can still go all the way over the top if you want to but might be moving between high walls of snow. Mostly it a typical mountain pass, mostly one lane each way, occasionally you might have to pull over. Steep drops, no barrier. We usually wildcamp near the top on the way down to Ailefroide. Takes a while to get over the pass, especially if you get behind a lorry - or a herd of goats.

There is a feral dog on the summit area which made me jump as it came at me out of the mist late at night last year while we were camping there.
 kenr 29 Jun 2015
Driving over Galibier to get to Briancon from Chambery or Albertville or Geneva is easy: Two lanes wide the whole way, a modern well-engineered road, currently mostly well-paved asphalt.
Not a bit like the La Berarde road.
If at the top you drive up over the Col instead of taking the tunnel there might be a couple of sections of thoughtful steering. Otherwise it's just a matter of shifting gears and pushing down harder on the accelerator pedal in the steeper sections,

We're around Briancon right now. Drove over Galibier to get here. No problem at all. In a couple days we'll drive north up over Galibier to get back to Chambery + Geneva. Not feeling the slightest concern about it.

Ken
 Nick_Scots 29 Jun 2015
In reply to kenr:

It's only the last 3-5k that is a bit slow. The side leading down to Col de Lauteret has twisty bits for the first 2k or so but it's all worth the drive !
 Simon4 02 Jul 2015

Allegedly going to blow this weekend :

http://www.ledauphine.com//isere-sud/2015/07/02/lac-du-chambon-effondrement...

800,000 cubic metres of rock should be pretty spectacular - provided you are far enough away! The interior of the tunnel looks like quite a sight as well, not sure I would want to be where they are inspecting it from.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...