UKC

New part time work (as well as FT employment) - how/help??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi,
I work full time (permanent, 37.5hrs etc) and an opportunity has come up to do some additional private work. The new venture won't bring in much income initially, its well paid but I won't have much time to give, but if it works I will reprioritise over time.

Basically I'm unsure if I need to set up as a sole trader (or other), or can I just complete the work and complete self assessment tax returns??? I want the simplest solution while I try it.

Also I'm thinking it will be easier to have a separate bank account for this venture, does it have to be a business account (fees), or will a standard account 'do'?

Are there any organisations out there that give free advice on this?

Thanks
 Andy Hardy 27 Jun 2015
In reply to Simonfarfaraway:

Are you planning to move to self employment in the near future? The answer determines the best course of action.
In reply to Andy Hardy:

No, not in the next year at least, I want to dip my toe into private practice and see a)how much work there is, and b) whether it works for me and I enjoy it.
 Andy Hardy 27 Jun 2015

I'd go with payment into your personal account, put x% into a savings account ready for the taxman and declare via your tax return
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Thanks Andy
 Andy Hardy 27 Jun 2015

Also have a look at advice etc here http://www.ipse.co.uk/
 Jack B 27 Jun 2015

Also, check your full time contract. Some employers don't allow part time work, particularly if they pay a monthly rather than hourly rate. Especially if your part time work is in any way related to your full time work.
In reply to Andy Hardy:

thanks
In reply to Jack B:

Thanks, will do

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...