UKC

Alpine Dreamin' (Saas/Zermatt Conditions)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ianstevens 27 Jun 2015
Shameless conditions report request. Obviously it could all change, but heading out next week, probably aiming at the Saas valley (at least initially) - anyone been of late?

Cheers!
OP ianstevens 28 Jun 2015
In reply to Mountain Llama:

Cheers, but I've already had a look at the webcams. I was after some reports from people who have been!
graham F 28 Jun 2015
In reply to ianstevens:

Did the Portjengrat and Weissmies traverse last week in really good conditions. It's forecast very warm this week but most things are in good condition.
OP ianstevens 28 Jun 2015
In reply to graham F:

Cheers!
 Jaylaz 29 Jun 2015
In reply to ianstevens:

I'm really interested in the NE face of Lenspitze. Every time I've been out it's been stripped by warm weather. Heading out in a couple of weeks.

Thanks Jay
OP ianstevens 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Jaylaz:

I'll let you know if we head out that way. Although the forecast is warm...
In reply to graham F:

Is there much abseiling on the Portjengrat and Dri Hornli Traverse? I'm hoping to do those two on consecutive days followed by the Weissmeis traverse on day 3? Will I be able to get away with a shortish rope?

Also is it possible to stay in Almageller Hut and bring your own food?
 kipman725 01 Jul 2015
In reply to ianstevens:

was in Zermatt till 22nd June. Conditions were lots of snow fall and warm weather which resulted in lots of avalanches and made walking often thigh high plunging into snow. Also galciers covered with weak snow bridges so lots of falling in. One night it did not freeze overnight at 4000m. Looked to be improving though with some colder nights.
 Fiona Reid 01 Jul 2015
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

There is one abseil on the Dri Hornli traverse. We had a 47m rope with us and that was fine. Guide book says it's 22m.

streapadair 01 Jul 2015
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

One on the Portjengrat too, 10m, off a bolt.
 JSTaylor 13 Jul 2015
In reply to ianstevens:

As I guess you already know... conditions for last week were poor at the start of the week with little freezing in Saas valley. Weissmeis - was soft snow all the way from the Almageller to the other side. By mid week freezing returned. Breithorn traverse was excellent if you were quick. Approach to Ayas hut was 'interesting' and likely to get more so as the season progresses.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...