UKC

Mixed abilty scramble in Snowdonia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nik king 27 Jun 2015
Hi all. I'm looking for suggestions for a shortish scramble/walk in Snowdonia. About 6-7 miles is the top end length wise as the group is mixed ability (ie some fat knackers). Tryfan is the obvious choice but done that ad-infinitum.

Cheers
In reply to nik king:

The obvious suggestion is crib goch. Can miss out snowdon summit and walk back down miners track if they've had enough by that point too.

What about the daear ddu ridge on moel siabod? Not done it, but afaik it's mostly avoidable if people decide that sort of thing isn't for them after they've actually started the scramble... Meant to be a very nice route, and a short day
ultrabumbly 27 Jun 2015
In reply to nik king:

What about Pen Yr Ole Wen going up the S ridge and coming down the E ridge towards the path at Affon Lloer? I think you can make that quite easy picking your way up by a course of least resistance or a bit more direct for those that are happier while there being sit down spots for everyone to regroup (if visibility is good) it would let people go at their own pace for lengthyish sections though you have a line of sight issue with the false summit I think if some romp too far ahead. Or were you looking for something with a bit more full on scrambling?
 ben b 28 Jun 2015
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Agreed, Ddaer Ddu from Pont Cyfyng fits the bill nicely. Pleasant scrambling to a good summit, all avoidable if needed, with interesting approach and descent.

b

Mike Nolan 28 Jun 2015
In reply to nik king:

If 2 people in the group are interested in some more advanced scrambling, I'd be happy to guide them up something.

I need to do some scrambling practice for my upcoming Mountaineering Instructor Award assessment. Get in touch if you're interested.

Mike
 Robin Woodward 28 Jun 2015
In reply to nik king:
I'd second Ddaer Ddu, but suggest possibly one of the east face gullies on Tryfan, gets them to the top of a spectacular mountain without wading through the crowds or doing the same (or at least an approximated of in my experience) route as you've done many times before.
Post edited at 08:24
 tinker 28 Jun 2015
In reply to nik king:

A nice short day might be to go up to Glyder Fawr via Y Gribin (from the Idwal side), then down via Senior's Gully (barely a scramble) - of course you have the option of an out-and back to Glyder Fach with some easy scrambling over Castell y Gwynt if you like.

The Llech Ddu spur is usually quiet, and any harder steps are avoidable: it's a bit of a tramp from Bethesda but lovely once you're on it and there are options to visit Carnedd Llewellyn and Yr Elen to make a circuit, or simply head down the long arm of Carnedd Dafydd for a short day.

For an alternative Snowdon "horseshoe" without the exposure, you could go up the (other) Gribin and continue over Lliwedd: all good grade 1 fun.

Another option, with harder route-finding, from Nant Peris or thereabouts would be a scramble up Llechog , continuing to Garnedd Ugain before descending via the Cwm Glas spur.
OP nik king 29 Jun 2015
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Thanks for the suggestion. I've driven past Moel Siabod dozens of times, fixated on the Glyders or the Snowden range. Think we'll give it a try.

Cheers
 lone 29 Jun 2015
In reply to nik king:

Llech Du Spur on Carnedd Dafydd is a great scramble (grade 1) with an interesting walk in to Cwm Llafar from Bethesda.

Once up on Carnedd Dafydd you can go around to Carnedd Llewelyn and Yr Elen and drop back down to Bethesda

Jason

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...