UKC

Glyders ashes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bobeck 28 Jun 2015
Took my daughter out for a hike up Tryfan and on to Glyder Fach on Thursday, weather awful,she wanted to see the cantilever where she had the photo taken, at this point we decided it was brew time, suggested we got on the shelf under the cantilever, "my usual spot" when she noticed a well made small wooden box, someone had left someones ashes complete with box. Not very Nice. scattering someones ashes is one thing but leaving the box is just littering Cant seem to go anywhere without cigg butts and cerial bar wrappers lying around but a cremation box what next.
 lowersharpnose 28 Jun 2015
In reply to bobeck:

I think it would have been reasonable to empty out the ashes and take the box down.
bobeck 28 Jun 2015
In reply to lowersharpnose:

My thoughts exactly
 Hyphin 28 Jun 2015

> I think it would have been reasonable to empty out the ashes and take the box down.

Cragswag?
 FactorXXX 28 Jun 2015
In reply to bobeck:

Was there a 'Return to Sender' address on there?
 DancingOnRock 28 Jun 2015
In reply to bobeck:

That seems too odd to me.

I really can't believe anyone left it there deliberately.

Maybe they went up, stopped for lunch, put the box down and then later when they reached the top realised it was missing but didn't know where it was.
abseil 28 Jun 2015
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> That seems too odd to me.... I really can't believe anyone left it there deliberately.

I can believe it, in fact I suggest that that is what happened.

Anyway I will activate my enormous logical Sherlock-Holmes type brain ha-ha-ha-ha and I will solve this problem (PS don't stay up waiting for my brilliant solution ho-ho).

> I think it would have been reasonable to empty out the ashes and take the box down.

The problem with this is that people seem to delight in finding a nice little sheltered spot to tip the ashes into and then they don't blow away. There are frequently small piles between Adam and Eve for weeks at a time, and similarly between the rocks on the summit of Glyder Fawr.

Peoples perception is that 'Ashes' will be light, flyaway material like paper ash and will disperse on the lightest breeze , when in reality it's more like a pile of coarse sand.
 Dave Hewitt 28 Jun 2015
In reply to abseil:

> I can believe it

I can too - I once came across something similar on a Donside hill. In that instance the ashes were scattered and the quite large urn containing them had been left at the summit cairn. The unwillingness of people to take things back down the hill after they've carried them up extends across a wide variety of items .

lowersharpnose 28 Jun 2015
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

I topped out onto a pile of ashes complete with small plastic flowers.
 Rich W Parker 28 Jun 2015
In reply to bobeck:

I worked at the Ice Factor in Kinloch for a while, around the time it opened. While closing up one night I found a plastic urn containing someones ashes which had been left on a table. Amazing. They were claimed.
llechwedd 28 Jun 2015
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

The leaving of the urn at the site where the ashes are 'scattered' is often advocated as a solution when someone posts a query on the internet of the sort: "What do I do with an empty cremation urn'? I've even seen the suggestion that, for ashes tipped into the sea, you might choose to heave the urn into the ocean as well.

I'm not sure if funeral directors give any advice on the environmental aspect of disposal once the cremation is over.
I still have a brown plastic box that contained my brother's ashes which were scattered in a local river several decades ago. I've never really been sure what I should do with the box- there is a small residue of dusty ash on it, and it seems disrespectful to put it in the recycling, bin it, bury it somewhere random, or burn it. With hindsight, I should have washed it out in the river, then sent the box for recycling.

I suppose whatever the material of the 'urn'- cardboard, plastic, wood, or metal, it's going to be visually intrusive, if left in a mountain environment.
I wonder if the sort of people who leave urns in such places are themselves hillgoers, or are they just grieving relatives with the desire to put a mountain loving person's ashes somewhere they thought might be appropriate?
 DancingOnRock 28 Jun 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

I guess people request their ashes be scattered somewhere.

I think maybe I'll put something in my will and stipulate what they do with the box afterwards. Saves any guesswork for my friends and family.

It'll probably be in some form of cryptic treasure hunt. That should entertain them and make the whole process a bit more lighthearted.
 Dave the Rave 28 Jun 2015
In reply to bobeck:

You should have had a game of cricket on the cantilever. The loser carries the box down.
Lusk 28 Jun 2015

I'm going to get my lot to stick my box of ashes in our wood burner.
 Bulls Crack 28 Jun 2015

> Maybe they went up, stopped for lunch, put the box down and then later when they reached the top realised it was missing but didn't know where it was.

Or maybe even took the box up mistaking it for their lunch-box, had a terrible surprise and left it in horror?
bobeck 28 Jun 2015

Box is placed in the centre of the slab with the lid missing looked pretty deliberate to me.
 Dr.S at work 28 Jun 2015
In reply to bobeck:

I made the casket from a colleagues dog into a tea caddy for work - always freaked visiting folk out when we spooned tea leaves from the casket into the tea pot.
bobeck 28 Jun 2015
In reply to Bulls Crack:

It is quite a nice box, would look good on my desk to keep paper clips and things in. maybe i should nip back up there and get it
Lusk 28 Jun 2015
In reply to bobeck:

Maybe they were dyslexics and they meant to leave a bench up there?
bobeck 28 Jun 2015
In reply to Dr.S at work:

That a good idea it would be perfect for that
 Dr.S at work 29 Jun 2015
In reply to bobeck:

I lined it with copper, the hinges were a pain to do - but otherwise quite straight forward.

"would you like a nice cup of Aunty Margary Gladys?"

surely this can catch on?
 Jamie B 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> Peoples perception is that 'Ashes' will be light, flyaway material like paper ash and will disperse on the lightest breeze , when in reality it's more like a pile of coarse sand.

Exactly, and it sticks around for ages. I've had to crawl through what are essentially human remains to get the summit block on the Cobbler. I feel that scattering ashes at visited high-points should be actively discouraged.

> It'll probably be in some form of cryptic treasure hunt

Cremation geocaches...?
 Lankyman 30 Jun 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Cremation geocaches...?

That's brilliant! I'm going to market a game where you have to navigate from one hidden urn to another. Now, what would be a suitable name ......... 'Ashes to Ashes'? Winner!
Rigid Raider 30 Jun 2015
In reply to bobeck:

At some distant time in the past I was poncing around the Bowland fells, which are a big huntin' shootin' and fishin' area and I noticed a lot of places where grit, looking very like ashes, had been left out. Now I know that the grit is left for the grouse as a digestive aid, although for all I know it may well be ashes bought on the cheap from funeral parlours because they do have a lot of urns that are never collected by the families. I wonder what the grice think about it?

abseil 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Lankyman:

> Now, what would be a suitable name .........

"How much does a Grecian urn?" (apologies for the old joke - topical, though??)
In reply to Lankyman:

> 'Ashes to Ashes'

Simply call it 'Geocashing'...
In reply to abseil:

> "How much does a Grecian urn?"

I don't know, but if they find out it'll make the Maltese Cross.
 petestack 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Jamie B:

> I feel that scattering ashes at visited high-points should be actively discouraged.

Maybe depends quite how attached to the 'high-point' you are? And you can't *scatter* them on a single point! So (as I think you know?) I've scattered ashes on the mountain and will always believe I did right, but I did take care to scatter my portion off the crest and spread as thinly as I could. And would have been as uncomfortable as anyone had I left enough evidence for the next folk along to work it out!

As for the cardboard tube the ashes came in, I burned that at home and buried its ashes (the ashes of the ashes?) in the base of the cairn I built in my back garden.

ceri 30 Jun 2015
In reply to bobeck:
I buried the dog's ashes in a local wood: I was worried that scattering would be too intrusive, so buried them under the top layer of leaf mould. Then I was left with a cardboard tube with some of her ashes in. Didn't want to bin it so I ended up burying that too, on the grounds that a cardboard tube should break down. In retrospect, I could have brought it home and burned it on our fire, good idea above!
Maybe there should be a return policy for empty urns, I mean what are you supposed to do with them?
Post edited at 22:53
 mypyrex 01 Jul 2015
In reply to ceri:

> I could have brought it home and burned it on our fire, good idea above!

Then you'd have been left with yet more ashes to dispose of
bobeck 02 Jul 2015
In reply to ceri:

Suppose it depends on what they are made of, most stuff can be recycled these days, theres always the blue bin. When i pop my clogs i won't know or care were they go but i hope i don't end up in a pile for some to stand in or top off a climb by putting there hand in it, i think scattering then take the container home is best if you don't want them on a shelf in the shed.
bobeck 02 Jul 2015
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Yes i have noticed a pile of ashes between Adam and Eve but had not made that connection, used to enjoy stepping across Adam and Eve,i suppose now a am just stepping over piles of burnt corpses
abseil 02 Jul 2015
In reply to bobeck:

> Yes i have noticed a pile of ashes between Adam and Eve but had not made that connection, used to enjoy stepping across Adam and Eve.....

I call that really irresponsible, chucking ashes in a special place like that and (to some extent at least) spoiling other people's enjoyment.

Calling all ash spreaders/ chuckers - please chuck them in a place set aside for that purpose - you can ask the crematorium. Whatever happened to "leave only footprints" or whatever the hackneyed (but good) phrase is?

Yes, yes, I know, the mountains belong to everyone ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
 Lankyman 02 Jul 2015
In reply to bobeck:

I have scattered ashes on Dow Crag and also Esk Hause/Scafell Pike (divided, as some in the party couldn't get to the top). I think the issue with popular locations is scale - OK when it's just a few, problematic when it gets popular. A more worrying trend to me is the placing of fixed plaques or even memorial benches in upland areas. One appeared on Warton Crag just recently - it's a LNR administered by Lancashire Wildlife Trust who asked for it to be removed. The people responsible asked for retrospective permission from the owners (Leighton Hall) who didn't see a problem.
bobeck 02 Jul 2015
In reply to Lankyman:

Yes this seems to getting popular, if the ashes are scattered well,no one should be aware of it, but leaving the ashs in a pile or leaving the container is not fair on the other users of these special places .I have just emailed the national park to see what there view is on this matter if i get a response i will post it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...