UKC

Yorkshire Grit via Public Transport (part 2)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Morgan P 28 Jun 2015

In a post a while ago, there was a good summary of crags you could get to from Leeds by public transport ( http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=423048 )

A collated list is below, thought it would be good to repost for people. The original post was 5 years ago so some info may be wrong now if bus routes have changed etc

Baildon - train to shipley, then 25 minute walk

Caley - X84 to otley, get out when you see boulders on your left

Chevin - X84 to otley, get out when you see gate on your left and 10 min walk

Ilkley - Train/Bus to ilkley, then 20 minute walk to the crag

Heptonstall - Train to Hebden Bridge then a 35 mins walk to the crag.

Crow's Nest Wood Quarry - Train to Hebden Bridge then a 5 mins walk to the crag

Almscliff - train to weeton then 25 min walk

Hetchell - bus to Bardsey then a 10 minute walk

West Chevin - train to menston then a half hour walk

Chew valley crags - train to Greenfield station.

Shipley Glen - Train to Shipley

Baildon Bank - Train to Shipley

Hawkcliffe - Train from Leeds to Steeton & Silsden and then a 10-15 minute walk. Or go to Keighley and get the Skipton bus and alight at the bus stop by Hawkcliffe farm.

Earl Crag - Train to Keighley and the Burnley bus

Crookrise - Train to Skipton and bike/bus to Embsey

Eastby - Train to Skipton and bike/bus to Embsey

Rhylstone - Train to Skipton and bike/bus to Grassington

Any updates would be cool. Are there any more crags not listed here that can be reached by public transport?
Post edited at 20:48
 lummox 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Morgan P:

More of an amend really- get off the train at Saltaire for Baildon and the Glen- save your legs the extra walk from Shipley : )
 Bulls Crack 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Morgan P:

Heptonstall should take about 25 mins form the station if you head up the paths to it from the town. 35 mins to Horsehold + 906 bus to Widdop at weekends in Summer - 45 mins?

Nor sure why anyone would want to travel to Crows Nest!
grice_philip 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Bulls Crack:
Crows Nest is not far from me and I keep thinking about spending some time cleaning it up. Until someone gives it some attention there are probably only a couple of doable climbs.

Robin Hood Rocks in Cragg Vale is probably a 30 minute walk from Mytholmroyd station. You can also get a bus to Cragg.
 NorthernGrit 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Morgan P:

Brimham - 24 Bus between Pately Bridge and Harrogate. Get off at Summer Bridge. 2 mile walk.
 Karl Bromelow 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Morgan P:
Pen-y-Ghent by train to Horton in Ribblesdale. You can get to pretty much every Yorkshire grit crag by bus and train if you enjoy a walk too. I didn't drive when I lived in Leeds for 18 years and visited most of them, but I do enjoy a hike.
Post edited at 00:32
In reply to Morgan P:

You can get to Blackstone edge & Cows mouth quarry by bus (getting of at The White House pub) from Halifax/Rochdale, and roughly a 15 minute walk in to either from there
 RobOggie 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Morgan P:

As has been said, ignore crow nest wood, as it stands it's a bag of s**te...not even worth muddying your shoes on the way up...
As has also been said, Horsehold is a good alternative to Heptonstall.
One which hasn't been mentioned is Woodhouse Scar, a quality days climbing just outside Halifax, ie a 25 minute walk from the station or a bus ride to king cross and then a 5 minute walk.
Not quite sure when it runs but there is a 'hiker bus' which runs up to widdop/gorple at the weekends so that is also a possibility.
 pebbles 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Morgan P:

good post, anyone know similar from York? have car myself but often meet folks who dont and struggle to get to crags. I do know its quite easy to get to almscliff - train from york, get off at Weeton station then cross the road and walk up crag lane - about 20 minutes walk from the staion I would guess.
OP Morgan P 03 Jul 2015
In reply to Morgan P:

Thanks for all the extra info people. I have added all this information to the Leeds University Union Mountaineering Club (LUUMC) website. It has hyperlinks to the UKC crag pages and any articles written about the crag.

Hopefully it's useful. Any additional information or suggestions are welcomed

http://luumc.org.uk/php/where_to_climb.php

Morgan
 Scarab9 03 Jul 2015
In reply to Justsomeclimber-3:

> You can get to Blackstone edge & Cows mouth quarry by bus (getting of at The White House pub) from Halifax/Rochdale, and roughly a 15 minute walk in to either from there

Ooh you've gone and done it now! That's LANCASHIRE!!! !!
 Fredt 04 Jul 2015
In reply to Morgan P:

You could get the train to Sheffield, walk across to the Interchange, the get the 272 bus to Fox House.
Then it's just a 10 minute walk to Burbage South, and a little further to Burbage North and West, and Higgar Tor.
In reply to Scarab9:

Very true. They are in Lancashire. However, they're not too far from some of the other crags already suggested & if the OP included the Chew Valley crags then surely Cows mouth & Blackstone edge are in too

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...