UKC

Why do sentences beginning "I thought".......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Harris 29 Jun 2015
....almost invariably emerge from the mouths of people who quite clearly gave the situation no thought whatsoever?

Discuss.
 Morgan Woods 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Chris Harris:

I thought you knew the answer to this...
 Dave Garnett 29 Jun 2015

Yes, and "I'm sure..." invariably means the opposite.
 GrahamD 29 Jun 2015

"I thought" is a non confrontational way of saying "I disagree with you"
 psaunders 29 Jun 2015

All sentences beginning with "But surely..." invariably result in the speaker embarrassing him/herself by revealing that they have totally misunderstood the situation.
ultrabumbly 29 Jun 2015

I think if you substitute. "It was my belief that[...]" for the "I thought[..]" the process makes sense. Often the nub of the matter is they accepted some bundled misconception that they never once thought through. I think they go for the "I thought" because there is a need to not appear passive. My experience is it seems especially common with "non player managers" in technical fields.
 Kemics 29 Jun 2015

My favourite is the "It stands to reason that .... "

When most people actually mean .. "My argument collapses like wet cardboard to reason"
 The Potato 29 Jun 2015

It depends what they mean by thought which is different to thinking
abseil 29 Jun 2015

> ....almost invariably emerge from the mouths of people who quite clearly gave the situation no thought whatsoever?

> Discuss.

I thought I knew the answer, then I realized I haven't got a clue.
abseil 29 Jun 2015
In reply to psaunders:

> All sentences beginning with "But surely..." invariably result in the speaker embarrassing him/herself by revealing that they have totally misunderstood the situation.

But surely egg and chips is the way to go. Unless.
 Postmanpat 29 Jun 2015

> ....almost invariably emerge from the mouths of people who quite clearly gave the situation no thought whatsoever?

> Discuss.

It seems to be a reasonable and modest acknowledgement that theirs is only a "thought" and may not therefore be correct, and often it is therefore not correct.
ultrabumbly 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

Although it often is dependent on tone and timing, I often take it the other way i.e. not at all passive or in anyway a concession, but rather as a declaration that they have applied some effort in reasoning their opinion and are challenging you to justify why what they _thought_ might not be correct. It is quite distinct from an opener such as as "I was under the impression" which tends to show that they are trying to have a discussion rather than champion their own view. It can also be a bit passive aggressive as it is putting someone in a position of having to possibly tell them that the cake they claim to have baked is a crap one whereas it isn't so personal when you tell them the cream on the cake they chanced from the discount shelf has turned. Sorry for the poor analogy, quickest way I can think to describe it.

When it is used as a genuine admission of possible ignorance on a matter there are usually lengthy pauses as though to signify that they are doing the thinking for the first time so it's still a bit of a fib.

When people use it in a semi confrontational manner as though they really did think through what they obviously did not, in an even cursory manner, it has the automatic result that it colours my ability to have much faith in any of their other reasoning. That's probably me being a bit of an arse but as a stereotype it often works well......
 wercat 29 Jun 2015

I thought it's best to judge what people say in context and on a case by case basis rather than through a polarising filter.
 ericoides 29 Jun 2015
In reply to ultrabumbly:

I like using "having said that" in a confrontational manner against myself.
 Trangia 29 Jun 2015

So, when I read the title I thought this was going to be an interesting thread......
 aostaman 29 Jun 2015

However?
cb294 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

This is weak. If you claim to have thought about something, you better trust your thought process, and present your ideas with some conviction!

(only partially joking here, I hate intellectual relativism. One idea is not as good as the next!)

CB
 Jon Stewart 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Kemics:

> My favourite is the "It stands to reason that .... "

> When most people actually mean .. "My argument collapses like wet cardboard to reason"

I really like "with the greatest of respect" used to mean "what a pile of absolute crap, you total f^cking arsehole".
 Postmanpat 29 Jun 2015
In reply to cb294:

> This is weak. If you claim to have thought about something, you better trust your thought process, and present your ideas with some conviction!

>
You seem not to recognise that there are two meanings of the term "to think": to believe something to be true, and to process some information or an idea etc.

If I say "I think that Ronaldo plays for Real Madrid", a reasonable inference may be that I am not sure about it. It's not a question of having thought something through. I'm just describing my state of knowledge.
KevinD 29 Jun 2015
In reply to cb294:

> (only partially joking here, I hate intellectual relativism. One idea is not as good as the next!)

Depends on the ideas being compared really. Evolution vs Creationism is an easy call but how best to tune SQL Server is a tad harder to call.
"I thought" can also be used for those subjects where you cant be arsed to spend a few hours pulling together references.

cb294 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

I think I am aware of both uses...

Fine if used as in your example, but completely vomit inducing if used to partially withdraw ones claim before it is even made.

CB
 Postmanpat 29 Jun 2015
In reply to cb294:

> I think I am aware of both uses...

> Fine if used as in your example, but completely vomit inducing if used to partially withdraw ones claim before it is even made.

>
I guess. What sort of example are you thinking of?
abseil 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> I really like "with the greatest of respect" used to mean "what a pile of absolute crap, you total f^cking arsehole".

My favourite is "From the bottom of my heart........" - long experience has taught me that it is followed by deep insincerity. Sorry folks. That's what I've found.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...