UKC

When to get a new cat?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bleddynmawr 29 Jun 2015
Very sadly my nine month old cat was killed yesterday in a road accident. He was our first cat as a family, although as a kid my parents always had cats. I know that no cat can replace Merlin, but as a family we know that we do want another cat. How soon is too soon do you think?
 zimpara 29 Jun 2015
In reply to bleddynmawr:

This weekend would be perfect
 Fraser 29 Jun 2015
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Sorry to hear your news. I'd wait a few weeks maybe and then see how the family feels.
 Pyreneenemec 29 Jun 2015
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Our previous cat disappeared, we hunted high and low for weeks , not a sign. Living in the country-side, we assume it was a fox, but we'll never know. It took quite a while - months- to take the decision and have a new companion. We adopted one from a local animal shelter, a timid cat that had been injured in a car accident and no one wanted. The staff said they expected he'd become one of their permanent residents.

Ulysses, as we named him has blossomed and is the most beautiful cat. A true country-cat, a hunter, stalker yet cuddly and affectionate. We can't replace Daisy, but we have given a home to cat who would otherwise only know the pens of an animal shelter.
 The Lemming 29 Jun 2015
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Why not go in the opposite direction and try a dog?

Something that will grow to roughly the same size as a fully grown cat?
 goose299 29 Jun 2015
In reply to The Lemming:
I was going to suggest a dog too

Roadrunner5 29 Jun 2015
In reply to bleddynmawr:

I'd not wait, plenty of cats need homes. You never replace a pet, they are always very unique in how they behave and interact so I dont see why you have to wait X weeks. You like having a cat around the place, plenty of cats need homes..
ceri 29 Jun 2015
In reply to bleddynmawr:
It's up to you really, how you feel, when you feel ready.
When we lost Rosie dog (profile pic) we knew we would get another dog eventually, but OH was going away a few weeks later so we said we wouldn't start looking until he came back. 2 weeks later we accidentally adopted Ellie, a totally untrained beagle cross from our local pound...
When you are ready, consider your local rescue: plenty of cats and kittens of all ages and types!
 DerwentDiluted 29 Jun 2015
In reply to bleddynmawr:
Our policy could be neatly rhymed as 'Get a new cat when one becomes flat' as so far we have lost 2 and 1/4 cats to the road, which leaves 1 and 3/4.
Post edited at 18:43
 john arran 29 Jun 2015
In reply to bleddynmawr:

We have a cat called Merlin. He's great.
 Trangia 29 Jun 2015
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Sorry to hear of your loss. I'd say get another cat soon. They are great characters and great company.

You will never replace Merlin but you will create a bond with your new cat.

I lost my cat to cancer last year, and we had to put him down.

He was a tabby called Max and gave us 18 years of joy.

You can call your new cat Max if you like. I can't have another Max so soon, but I'd like to think of his name giving happiness to another family.
 jkarran 29 Jun 2015
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Sorry about you cat Talk to your family, only their opinion matters.
jk
 krikoman 30 Jun 2015
In reply to bleddynmawr:

"When to get a new cat?"

when the old one is worn out and replacing the batteries doesn't help.
OP bleddynmawr 30 Jun 2015
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Thanks to you all. I never really understood people getting so attached to animals before but I was surprised at how much of a loss it feels. I work fairly close to Battersea so a rescue cat is what we are looking at. To the person with Merlin please look after him. I wll suggest Max to the family.
 Al Evans 30 Jun 2015
In reply to bleddynmawr:

I no longer have a cat despite having one in the family most of my life, the reason originally was health issues, but now I dont think it is responsible to get a cat as it would probably outlive me. A cat living in our carpark has become my surrogate cat. I feed it and it is affectionate but I won't commit to it being my house cat.
 Pete Houghton 30 Jun 2015
In reply to bleddynmawr:
You should really be dealing with two or three cats, so that in the unfortunate even that one goes missing, the other/s can cover the deficit until you source an appropriate replacement, which ideally should take no more than 3-5 working days.
Post edited at 18:13
 ranger*goy 02 Jul 2015
In reply to bleddynmawr:

I think we lasted about 2 months before we got another. We'd always had 2 cats and having 1 seemed wrong.
 Bulls Crack 02 Jul 2015
In reply to bleddynmawr:

What's making you want to leave a gap?
 hands solo 02 Jul 2015
In reply to bleddynmawr:

are black cat is called merlin
 birdie num num 03 Jul 2015
In reply to bleddynmawr:

You're already planning the new one. So tomoz.
 veteye 03 Jul 2015
In reply to Al Evans:

I would get the cat in the house,both you and the cat will benefit. He/she will be warmer in winter and better observed for his health. In response to his appreciation you will have an improved immune system and live longer.So he may not outlive you and if he does then direct either your executors to rehome him in a good home or the same with your vet.
I have had a couple of clients who directed in their will that I should rehome their dog on their death, and I did. One dog was a 13 year old Collie which I managed to rehome and it took a new lease of life and lived another 2 1/2 years.
Get your outside Merlin cat in your house asap!
 veteye 03 Jul 2015
In reply to bleddynmawr:

I think that you need to discuss when to get your new cat with your family and include the idea of avoiding when you are going on holiday, just to avoid a new cat being put in the cattery soon after arrival and also to make plans easier for you.
Consider asking the vets if they have any stray cats or know of someone who is having to give their animal up due to things like downsizing/renting after divorce. We sometimes have cats which are strays,which we keep until rehomed.
For example we have a small dog which we will rehome when it is sorted.
Obviously Battersea have all the variety and that may easiest for you due to proximity.
 Al Evans 03 Jul 2015
In reply to veteye:

Well thats ok, but she is a she, I live in a third floor apartement and I worry that if I die she has no way of getting out of the flat.
 veteye 03 Jul 2015
In reply to Al Evans:

What sort of building do you live in? In other words are you amongst other people who worry about their demise or are you in a mix of people of all ages? If the latter then why not take a photograph of the cat and then put a copy up on the board in the front hall way or on the glass door or similar.With it put a note that you are going to take her on,but that you may at times need to have someone else feed her for you;So you would like people to volunteer to help you out on that score. I may be naïve,but I suspect not, and from that start you could cover a series of issues that you may know of, and I do not.
Even if the others in the building are somewhat less active, you may well still find that this sort of approach proves fruitful.
I realise that it is easy for me to say. Nevertheless I would give it a go.
 Bulls Crack 03 Jul 2015
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Go out tomorrow and get short haired oriental...if you can - it took us months but well worth it. combines the best features of cats and dogs!
 Timmd 04 Jul 2015
In reply to veteye:
> What sort of building do you live in? In other words are you amongst other people who worry about their demise or are you in a mix of people of all ages? If the latter then why not take a photograph of the cat and then put a copy up on the board in the front hall way or on the glass door or similar.With it put a note that you are going to take her on,but that you may at times need to have someone else feed her for you;So you would like people to volunteer to help you out on that score. I may be naïve,but I suspect not, and from that start you could cover a series of issues that you may know of, and I do not.

> Even if the others in the building are somewhat less active, you may well still find that this sort of approach proves fruitful.

> I realise that it is easy for me to say. Nevertheless I would give it a go.

Sounds like a good idea.
Post edited at 00:49

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...