UKC

Self catering in Northumbria

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 29 Jun 2015
The Lemmings and Little Bailey would like to wander round Northumbria during late July.

We'd appreciate any suggestions of locations or accommodation to stay for a while.

A tick list of things to see and do would be quite nice too.

Cheers muchly

Removed User 29 Jun 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

I think JDal (of this parish) is the man to ask on both counts
 SteveSBlake 29 Jun 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

I'd base myself in Rothbury, nicely central and a lot to do in the near vicinity.

Steve
OP The Lemming 29 Jun 2015
In reply to SteveSBlake:

I'll look into it.

Cheers
 JDal 29 Jun 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

We just sold our place in Harbottle. Plenty of places in Rothbury. Most of the local independent self catering businesses are on this website:

http://www.theheartofnorthumberland.co.uk/accomselfmap.html

What sort of places are you interested in?
OP The Lemming 29 Jun 2015
In reply to JDal:

> We just sold our place in Harbottle. Plenty of places in Rothbury. Most of the local independent self catering businesses are on this website:

> What sort of places are you interested in?

Somewhere that will allow dogs, and preferably has no light pollution at night. I'd quite like to take my telescope and also do a little night time photography.

Cheers
 JDal 29 Jun 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

I actually meant the "see and do" bit, but re a place to stay, you need to be not in a big village (obviously). Burnfoot in Netherton may fit the bill, you'd need to ask if they have permanent lighting on outside - it's a small complex of cottages. Netherton has the advantage of hosting to the epic Star Inn (one of the pubs that's been in every Good Beer Guide). Alham would also fit the bill, at the foot of the Cheviots. Lorbottle West Steads farm would have been best - there's a crag an hours walk away, but it doesn't say if it takes dogs, it'd be worth asking.
 Root1 30 Jun 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Kielder area has dark skies, as well the Kielder observatory where u can book a visit.
http://www.kielderobservatory.org
OP The Lemming 21 Jul 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

> A tick list of things to see and do would be quite nice too.

Bit of a cheeky bump.

Our big trip Up North start's on Saturday, and I'd really appreciate things to see or do in, around or on the coast near Seahouses. I don't mind a 1-2 hour drive to stuff.

Cheers
 Tom Valentine 22 Jul 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Seahouses?
First priority, stottie cake chip butty.
Then, Farne Island trip. Pick the bloke who sails the cat.
Bowden Doors is probably only 30 mins away but closer to hand you have all sorts of esoteric stuff.
Can i recommend the very atmospheric and beautifully named Spindlestones Crag?
 coinneach 22 Jul 2015
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Alnwick Castle
 full stottie 22 Jul 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Some thoughts to add to previous advice:

Yes, definitely Farne Islands boat trip from Seahouses. Alnwick Castle has lots on for kids in summer holidays - knights, Harry Potter etc. http://www.alnwickcastle.com/whats-on

Depends on age of small Lemming, Pot-a-Doodle Doo in Scremerston keeps kids happy for an hour. http://potadoodledo.com/
Bird of Prey Centre at The Barn at Beal on the road to Holy Island.
Great beach walks at Scremerston, Chiswick Sands, Holy Island, Bamburgh, Beadnell, Low Newton (to include the Ship Inn with its own micro brewery)
Bouldering at Bowden is too tempting to miss!.
The fleshpots of Berwick, plus a walk around the City Walls
Chillingham Wild Cattle and Castle, with its weird and gruesome Chamber of Horrors - but not in the best possible taste IMHO
Heathersaw Mill Light Railway near Ford.
Animal Park at Eshott on A1 just south of Felton.

Hope this helps and that you have fun.

Dave

In reply to The Lemming:
The Treehouse restaurant would be a novelty for the little one? Situated in the Alnwick gardens which are worth seeing them self if that is your thing.

Edit: Edinburgh is within travelling distance, or even "just" the Scottish Borders.
Try and find the remotest part of England as defined I think by distance to a public road, which is apparently in the area your going to.
Post edited at 16:36
 Hay 22 Jul 2015
In reply to The Lemming:
Grooms Cottage at Chatton is nice. 2 Bedrooms, nice rural location, very handy for beaches and Bowden 10 mins away.
A cycle up the College Valley is very much recommended, as is the Bamburgh butchers pork pies.
Bruce

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...