UKC

The Sport Climber Guide to Trad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Goucho 29 Jun 2015

Following on from the soon to be published 'Trad for Old Gits' series of Guides, along with my Co Editor, Charlton Chestwig, we are planning a new guide to Trad for Sport climbers.

We have secured the services of Peregrine Walpole Plunderthunk, the emeritus professor of mathematics and expert statistician at the Norman Wisdom University in Albania.

He will convert all trad grades to unquestionably accurate sport grades, using a highly complex combination of algebra, data modeling and a wet finger in a wind tunnel.

Every trad route in Britain will have its grade accurately calibrated to sport grades.

As gritstone is often a bet noir for sport climbers taking their first tentative steps on trad, all VS's will be graded a minimum of F6C, so that wall bred climbers are not harmed psychologically when failing to apply their 7a indoor wall grade to outdoor trad, and get spanked on Central Trinity at Stanage.

Using the latest technology, every crag and route in Britain will be laser profiled and measured by a team of scientists and surveyors to an accuracy of less than 2 millimeters, with the angle of every 6 inches of a route measured to within 0.001 of a degree.

All holds will me measured for size, angle, rotation, friction and grip factor, and using 3d imaging, the size and position of every gear placement will be recorded and numbered. Additional tick marks containing exact nut/cam size will be put next to every placement and on every route by a team of volunteers.

Grayson Perry will be producing diagrams showing the exact sequence of moves required for the crux of every route, and as an additional bonus, will also be designing a range of limited edition bedside table lamps to aid reading of the guide at night.

As an additional aid, photos of bolts using the latest 3d printing technology will be placed next to every placement, in order to acclimatise sport climbers to placing their own gear, and also give them something to aim for.

While pre-placement of all gear would be the ideal scenario, we unfortunately do not have the funds to equip all routes, and also, the risk of the gear being plundered as 'crag swag' means that the ongoing cost of re-equipping routes would be prohibitive. Also, it would be likely to cause consternation amongst older climbers, still coming to terms with the demise of EB's and hemp ropes.

There will also be a section on transportation of bouldering mats and chalk buckets, on public transport, and also a feature on the 10 must have diesel cars when you need to transport 4 climbers, twenty eight mats and sixteen beany hats for a days 'highballing' in the peak.

All in all, I think this will be THE guide that leaves absolutely nothing to either chance, or imagination.
Post edited at 14:14
 AJM 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Goucho:

Funny, when I saw the thread title pop up I figured it would be something like this from someone like you...
 Wft 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Goucho:

I thought that was very funny, needs a cartoon ideally (Alan?)
OP Goucho 29 Jun 2015
In reply to AJM:

> Funny, when I saw the thread title pop up I figured it would be something like this from someone like you...

Glad you're not disappointed then.
 JR 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Goucho:

Very good! Though you should definitely change your name from "Goucho" to "Strawman"
 Hat Dude 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Goucho:

Good to hear Charlton is still about!
 SteveSBlake 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Goucho:

Too ambitious by far, you'll never get Grayson Perry!

Steve
OP Goucho 29 Jun 2015
In reply to SteveSBlake:

> Too ambitious by far, you'll never get Grayson Perry!

> Steve

Already got him
 French Erick 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Goucho:

Great post. I enjoyed reading it! However:

> Using the latest technology, every crag and route in Britain will be laser profiled and measured by a team of scientists and surveyors to an accuracy of less than 2 millimeters, with the angle of every 6 inches of a route measured to within 0.001 of a degree.

Great example of mixing metric and imperial...it totally screws my thinking that.... but remember I am but a lowly euro cragger

> All in all, I think this will be THE guide that leaves absolutely nothing to either chance, or imagination.

True...they'll still need to get the routes to claim any tick (whatever form and style they choose). Realistically, the only way I'll O/S London wall is by aiding it!!!!
 Mark Haward 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Goucho:

What, no more EBs?!? What about PAs? Fortunately I've still got plenty of hemp rope in the garage...

An older climber
 SteveSBlake 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Goucho:

> Already got him

Ok.... But I've checked Peregrine's FB page and he makes no mention of the 'project' of yours, and looks pretty committed to the long term project that's measuring the number of granite crystals that make up the Nose. Are you sure this thing of yours isn't all just bullshit?

Steve
 pebbles 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Goucho:

yes, but will it include my own proposed MR grade? MR standing for Maximum Reach, not Mountain Rescue (who may be required if MR is exceeded), and represents the greatest reach between holds on the routes, so that shortarses may compare to their own reach and decide whether to proceed. This may then be combined with the PSHS (Pebbles Sliding Height Scale) to plot MR (maximum Reach) against HC (height of climber) the intersection at point X gives an upwards or downwards factor (which ranges from "thats never E1, look at that huge jug six feet above the crux" to "Jug? Jug? Am I supposed to fly there?" ) to be applied to the grade of the route.
In reply to pebbles:

> yes, but will it include my own proposed MR grade? MR standing for Maximum Reach, not Mountain Rescue (who may be required if MR is exceeded), and represents the greatest reach between holds on the routes, so that shortarses may compare to their own reach and decide whether to proceed. This may then be combined with the PSHS (Pebbles Sliding Height Scale) to plot MR (maximum Reach) against HC (height of climber) the intersection at point X gives an upwards or downwards factor (which ranges from "thats never E1, look at that huge jug six feet above the crux" to "Jug? Jug? Am I supposed to fly there?" ) to be applied to the grade of the route.

This^^^
Replaces searching for Fawcett, Sylvester and Gibson in the FA list
OP Goucho 30 Jun 2015
In reply to SteveSBlake:

> Ok.... But I've checked Peregrine's FB page and he makes no mention of the 'project' of yours, and looks pretty committed to the long term project that's measuring the number of granite crystals that make up the Nose. Are you sure this thing of yours isn't all just bullshit?

> Steve

You must have the wrong Peregrine, as he isn't on Facebook. He does have a Twitter account though @bollocksspouter with over 28 followers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...