UKC

Beginner looking for advice..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
RJNewbie 29 Jun 2015
I have just reached my first summit which was Snowdon which I really enjoyed and plan on extending the challenge. Booking to do 3 peak challenge in a year and want to know the best way to start training myself for this. Also I learned from doing Snowdon that going downhill is actually more difficult on the legs. Well it felt like it for me anyway. So tips on how to go downhill correctly etc. To a lot of people I know Snowdon is just a hill compared to the other mountains. Not under any illusion of the difficulties of other peaks. My friend felt quite unwell the next day and I wondered if it had to do with altitude? I thought you'd need to be a lot higher to experience altitude sickness but possibly not? I want to get some literature too if anyone can advise on the best ones to look at. And possibly best mag or online blog to subscribe to. Thank you. X
 ablackett 29 Jun 2015
In reply to RJNewbie:
Congratulations, on reaching your first summit and in wanting to extend the challenge.

You will find a lot of people on here who don't like the 3 peaks challenge, people see it more of a driving challenge, they don't like the fact that it involves disturbing the people of Wasdale early in the morning, and they don't like the commercial aspect of it and the large groups of people who do it so be prepared for that!

Have you considered climbing other hills in preparation for your next challenge, there are literally hundreds of hills you can walk up in the UK and they can be linked together to give a hugely challenging day out without driving hundreds of miles, you might find that you are happy challenging yourself on your local hills and save the big 3 for when you are ready to do them independently? If so, where do you live? Are you near any hills, if so people could suggest routes which are suitable for beginners.

Altitude sickness isn't a problem on british hills, and wouldn't be a problem the next day so I guess your friend was sick with something else.

Downhill - walk down big hills and you get better at it, no secrets really! You could try running when you are strong enough, as some people find it is less jarring on the knees/muscles but don't run before you can walk!
 ablackett 29 Jun 2015
In reply to RJNewbie:

Details on magazines here - probably "trail magazine" would give you some of the best inspiration and guidance.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/ten-of-the-best-walking-and-climbing-magazines

SenzuBean 29 Jun 2015
In reply to RJNewbie:

As a rule of thumb, it's good practice (for yourself, and for other forum users) to search for existing information before asking easily answerable questions.

Anyway.
- Downhill is quite tough on the joints, especially the knees. If you adopt a "more squatting" position, your thighs will take a lot more of the load and let you walk much more easily. Being lightweight (carrying lightweight equipment, losing weight) are the next best things. Doing a lot of walking will toughen your joints and muscles and you'll just learn how to walk more comfortably. Finally you can use walking poles, which can help with balance and taking the weight off of joints.
- 99.9% likely that your friend did NOT have an altitude problem. The oxygen level at 1100m is like 90-95% that of sea level or thereabouts (can't be bothered to find the exact amount). Probably they didn't recover properly (eating poorly, not drinking enough water, not stretching).
- BMC do a hillwalking book which sounds like it should suit you.
Here's a PDF: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/media/files/Skills/New%20Hill%20Walkers.pdf
Here's a book: http://www.bmcshop.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=313_202&products_id=541...
- In general I don't think there's a best mag or blog.
RJNewbie 29 Jun 2015
In reply to ablackett:
Thank you for your help. I live in Bedfordshire. We have the chilterns and Dunstable downs and sharpenhoe clappers. Not sure of others. I have access to a place to stay on Peak District too. Matlock so any good peaks to try out their too if anyone can advise. We are going to do a 36 hour peak challenge which doesn't mean starting as early as the 24 hour one. I do want to go beyond that and keep reaching new summits. Just felt training for a 3 peak can get me on that track
Post edited at 15:46
RJNewbie 29 Jun 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

Great thank you. I did try and do some searches but couldn't find exact help so thought it would be ok to just ask my questions. X
 SenzuBean 29 Jun 2015
In reply to RJNewbie:

> Great thank you. I did try and do some searches but couldn't find exact help so thought it would be ok to just ask my questions. X

Of course it's okay!
In reply to RJNewbie:

I would avoid doing The national 3 peaks challenge. A better alternative is the yorkshire 3 peaks. Logistics are the biggest problem with the national one whereas the yorkshire 3 peaks challenge is just one long walk instead of 3 medium-hard walks with lots of driving in between.

You friend did not get altitude sickness - they over-exerted themeselves.

Going down hill is a tricky one - I would advise taking your time and resting regularly on your way down - the majority of injuries on any day out is on the way back down - remember, you are only half way at the top!

Finally, know your limitations. I realise that you are not afraid to ask for help and this is admirable as most people seem to just head out and get into truoble and don't realise where they went wrong - don't stop questioning what you do!

Have fun.
 DerwentDiluted 29 Jun 2015
In reply to RJNewbie:

We have the ...Dunstable downs and sharpenhoe clappers.

Sounds painfull...;0)

Top 5 in the Peak district?

Win Hill,
Shutlingsloe,
Parkhouse/Chrome Hill
Kinder Scout,
Bleaklow

Mark Kemball 29 Jun 2015
In reply to RJNewbie:

Like many folks on here, I have a fairly strong dislike of the 3 peaks challenge - there are far more worthwhile walks out there. That said, you asked for advice on walking, have you tried poles? Walking poles can take a lot of the strain off your knees, I find them very helpful.
In reply to Mark Kemball:

> Walking poles can take a lot of the strain off your knees, I find them very helpful.

What's the going rate to hire a Polish migrant to carry me down off the mountain?
RJNewbie 30 Jun 2015
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Great thank you. Yeah I'm going to look into the Yorkshire one.

I have very black toenails on my big toes from the walk downhill. I hired walking boots which were fine on the way up but pinched on the way down. Kept hitting my toes on the rocks. Going to invest in a good pair of my own. X
RJNewbie 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Mark Kemball:

I had one walking pole again that I borrowed. Shall be investing in 2 of my own. I think a lot of my struggle was I was more nervous walking downhill so I kept taking small steps instead of large strides which made my legs really stiff and sore. So building confidence downhill is a must x
RJNewbie 30 Jun 2015
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Oh thank you for that list. I'm heading up that way end of July so will have a practice! X
 Mark Kemball 30 Jun 2015
In reply to RJNewbie:

Yes, having 2 poles gives you much more stability, and hence more confidence when walking downhill. Uphill, they allow your arms to do some of the work so your legs don't get so tired (but your arms may well suffer!).

Having had several of the "twist lock" poles (cheaper), I would not recommend them as the locking mechanism often gives way in the wet. I now have a pair of "flick lock" poles, more expensive, but well worth the extra cash. Adjusting the length is easy (shorter uphill, longer down). Mine are Black Diamond -see http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Diamond-Trail-Trekking-Poles/dp/B000FJFEI4/re... I'm very happy with them.
 Mark Kemball 30 Jun 2015
In reply to RJNewbie:

> I hired walking boots which were fine on the way up but pinched on the way down. Kept hitting my toes on the rocks. Going to invest in a good pair of my own. X

It's well worth going to a good shop were the staff know what they are talking about, and getting good advice when choosing boots. I'd recommend either Joe Browns (Capel Curig) or Needlesports (Keswick) from personal experience, but I'm sure someone on here can recommend a shop in one of the areas you'll be visiting.
PamPam 29 Jul 2015
In reply to RJNewbie:

> Great thank you. Yeah I'm going to look into the Yorkshire one.

> I have very black toenails on my big toes from the walk downhill. I hired walking boots which were fine on the way up but pinched on the way down. Kept hitting my toes on the rocks. Going to invest in a good pair of my own. X

It's certainly worth getting your own boots so they fit properly. Hate to tell you but don't be surprised if you find the toenails falling off after the bashing they've taken! They will grow back though.

I do recommend poles as while they can get in the way at times, they do make it easier. My knees were tender after descending Scafell Pike without poles and certainly could have done with the extra stability.
 Ann S 29 Jul 2015
In reply to RJNewbie:

This link pretty well covers most of the advice I would give a newbie hill walker.

http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/Answers/Search-results/Walking/Whats-the-...

All I would add is to cut your toenails hard the night before your walk and learn how to use a map and compass -very well. Otherwise your 3 peaks walk can rapidly turn into a 13 peaks walk. Finally, start to take a very intense interest in weather forecasts and pay particular attention to windspeed forecasts. Hill weather isn't just about rain and sunshine. Enjoy.

PamPam 30 Jul 2015
In reply to RJNewbie:

As for literature, I do read Trail regularly and found that helpful. They've improved their routes and printed them on card so they you can pop them in with your map in the map case. I just use them to get an idea of routes and more for building a wish list of places to go and saves on buying many guide books although I still get those. They do book-magazines for walking centres so if you fancy going to the Lake Districts they have one all about that. They are a bit general but not a bad place to start.

I make up little route cards when I go - basically I plot out my route, mark it on my map in translucent pen so I don't obscure the features too much, work out my bearings and then write down each point, my bearing to get to the next point and anything that I need to be aware of along each section out on little flash cards as they can be popped into my map case and referred to as necessary along with the map. They just act as bit of a time saver provided you figure out your bearings on the map to the compass correctly and help prompt your memory with features, hazards or tricky parts of routes before you head off towards them. Plus it's a good thing to remind you if you are logging your walks for any purpose.
 yorkshirebloke 14 Aug 2015
In reply to RJNewbie:

1 Whin Hill
2 Inglebrough
3 Pike o Stickle
4 Skiddaw
5 Cadir Idris
6 The Cobbler
7 Ben Mcdui
8 Ben Alder
9 Five sisters (Claunie ridge)
10 Ben Cruachan

ten wee mountain adventures - building blocks to the three peaks - get some map practice in before hand though...

R
 Si_G 14 Aug 2015
In reply to RJNewbie:

Top tip on the poles, set them shorter on the way up, longer on the way down.
I have the opposite boot problem - heel lift - but you can tune your foot position with the lacing.

Do lots of squats as training!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...